Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 15,077 times

Advertisements

Well, there are many posters here who seem to be saying things I'd agree with on neighborhoods I know about, so I will put this problem to you... I have been in SD 3 years, same house in Clairemont. Now that I have built work/rental history, I am ready to upgrade my quality of living. I was just moving into a really nice, big house in Mira Mesa when it was burglarized. I only had a few things over there yet, as I was treating it for fleas before I brought my dogs. It was a big surprise, because I thought that Mira Mesa was a nice little suburb, but I checked crime stats for the area and decided not to stay in that house, even with my dogs.

OK, so now what? Posts I have read so far seems to say that neighborhoods that look kind of decent, but still diverse in race/creed actually have gangs and crime; and neighborhoods that are supposedly a nice place to live are executive, gated living where they don't like pets bigger than toy size or non-corporate type people.

So many listings:
* "gorgeous views, but share the house or no garage"(the various -hills)
* "wood floors and fireplace, but old and cramped craftsman with bad wiring and plumbing and no garage" (north/south parks)
* "executive style home, but your neighbors have far less than you" (spring valley, el cajon, etc)
* add to the above "...and will break into your house even though they live right next door and practically leave a trail back to their home which isn't even that bad", and you've got Mira Mesa!
* "2 tiny bedrooms and a hot tub for $4,000/mo"(crown point, la jolla, etc)

The best matches for my search criteria keep coming up in the suburbs where neighbors' bedroom windows look directly into one another and people are actually emotionally affected by the condition of other people's landscaping. You know, where you get a creepy G-Dub-Die-Hard vibe even from the children and it's more acceptable to cheat on your husband than to be unmarried. (Poway, for example)

Anyone know of an area with a nice compromise?
I feel like the only place left is Fallbrook! (and that's only because horse stalls are not something I need, but at least don't get in the way. It's hard to find them with dog quality fencing though... Other quasi-rural areas to the east seem to be, let's say, less tolerant of diversity. Besides being 100+ degrees yesterday in Ramona etc) What about Kensington? Bay Park? Heard of gangs or meth problems there?

Also, when I was researching and got the MM house, there was lots to choose from, but a couple of weeks later it's slim pickin's. Has the season already passed? When do available rentals trend upward?

PS I am not looking for some unrealistic deal, either. My budget is 2500-3000/mo and I want a house with larger rooms than typical in C'mont, enough of them to work at home without cramping, a real garage, and neighbors who's business isn't trying to know my business or steal from me. I work downtown, and I don't even care about commute time anymore!

HAHA Sorry such a long post! OK puzzle fanatics, can you figure this one out? Big sigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
There is crime everywhere. It all depends on your level of comfort with it. We get a lot of people on here with zero comfort level, so that's what you hear.

Kensington is awesome but you are 1 mile from a rough neighborhood.... if you can't hang with that.. I'd get the impression city life may not be for you. It's not for everyone.

If you want to be almost 100% isolated from crime, Move to Del Mar, 56 corridor, Carmel Valley or Rancho Bernardo. It's expensive as hell and as bland as it gets but there is nothing but rich people there and they won't rob you. Worst you get is occasional crackhead maneuvers through town... and yes...there is some minor tagging on El Camino real ;-)

Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 PM

138 posts, read 544,813 times
Default Try Discovery Hills in San Marcos

How about San Marcos, south of the 78? There is a nice set of neighborhoods called Discovery Hills that seem very crime free. It is a very family oriented place. Sassberto recommended Rancho Bernardo, and I like that area as well. We are looking at some homes in Southern Escondido, which have land. I know that Escondido doesn't have a great reputation, but these houses are really nice and have a beautiful setting. Look in the Del Dios area as well. Good luck in your search. We are having the same problem as well, trying to get closer to work (which is in Del Mar), not having a high budget, but not wanting to be mugged walking down the street. We live in Fallbrook right now, and I would buy here if it were closer to work.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:19 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Have you looked at Tierrasanta? It is conveniently located with access to the 15 and the 163 &805 if you drive down Balboa. It has always felt like a safe place,much nicer than Mira Mesa.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,827 times
I'd say Tierrasanta as well . Also Scripps Ranch, Mission Hills. . there are great neighborhoods all over. [moderator cut]

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-04-2007 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: find a better way to say it

Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 AM

ah, thanks. Tierrasanta, Scripps ranch I have thought of, but not heard much about. Are those areas super familied up? Are there named subdivisions with HOAs that monitor grease stains on the driveways? The Scripps area I think I have been to a little bit, seems more spread out? Is Tierrasanta military or crowded like Santee and Miramar? Mission Hills is one of those areas I would like, but I have found it hard to find a rental nice enough that still permits pets, plus I think the plumbing/electrical is spotty in that area as in any area with old homes. I really am tired of fixing things and dealing with a house that needs so much work when I don't own it.

On the crime tip, of course I know crime is everywhere. Even near my place in C'mont there are gang signs and methy people and the occasional bank robbery near by, yet my block has a very safe atmosphere, most of us have dogs, and the kids near me are sweet and honest, but no one bothers me or has a problem. What I find difficult seems to be a neighborhood with the same level of privacy and security but with better, newer actual buildings for rent except in neighborhoods that go too far toward non-privacy for my taste.

Also, I DO prefer the city. My commute is great AM and PM where I am now, which is part of why I haven't left. Bay Park, Mission Hills, Golden Hill?, Bankers Hill all sound great if I could find enough space, but even those are older homes. I would just rather be in the country than in a squinchy suburb, and I would like not to be in an area where it is considered "common" or really even "not uncommon" to have your things taken. All because I need a house, and can't live in a highrise condo, which I would totally do in a different life.

That was the question: Plenty of space without sacrificing too much of either privacy or safety? Not "where can I never see graffitti and never have any crime". I was and am simply surprised at the reports coming from Mira Mesa, and thought I should go on more than a drive-by impression going forward. Sorry to have given the impression I had a doomsday outlook. I am very disappointed that my next door neighbors broke in, but I don't think that everyone in Mira Mesa is like that. Sorry if I offended anyone else with my comments about any neighborhoods. We all have to find the one that is right for us, and I am being honest with my opinions, impressions and questions.

If there seems to be a lot of people on here expressing those concerns, I would say, when you are doing the moving thing, and especially from a completely different city or state, it's not unwise to be considering a worst case scenario. It doesn't mean you believe only in the worst, you just have to weigh it like a real possibility, the same way that when I think of moving up the 15, I think of what traffic is like at its worst and cringe!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:40 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Anywhere you have newer construction you will have HOA's and tiny lots. That's just how it's done. Tierrasanta is basically first-generation tract housing in the modern style.

Maybe try the older inner SD suburbs... Allied Gardens, San Carlos, Del Cerro, La Mesa. Single-family homes, no HOA, safe.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoteach View Post
How about San Marcos, south of the 78? There is a nice set of neighborhoods called Discovery Hills that seem very crime free. It is a very family oriented place. Sassberto recommended Rancho Bernardo, and I like that area as well. We are looking at some homes in Southern Escondido, which have land. I know that Escondido doesn't have a great reputation, but these houses are really nice and have a beautiful setting. Look in the Del Dios area as well. Good luck in your search. We are having the same problem as well, trying to get closer to work (which is in Del Mar), not having a high budget, but not wanting to be mugged walking down the street. We live in Fallbrook right now, and I would buy here if it were closer to work.
Ah, another one in love with Fallbrook. I can't get anyone to say anything bad about it. I know lots of people who live there and won't leave and who's long term goals are to buy there. I have Fallbrook, Bonsall and north escondido as my main spots if I move outside the terrible ring of traffic. Southern Escondido also has props with land? hmm... And this reputation? I think I heard gang activity or something? I have seen some nice listings in San Marcos, but haven't heard much about the actual neighborhood. Isn't it a big avocado area too? Bernardo/penasquitos are out for me unless I can find some hilltop avocado property. For me, they are too similar to Poway, which I just don't like. I did see some cardiff listings on craigs that were surprisingly inexpensive compared to what I saw a few years ago, and that is not only close to Del Mar, but gorgeous as well. I have never heard of Del Dios. Is it green? North? Thanks for the suggestions, I wish you luck with your search as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego