U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 AM

788 posts, read 963,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
You should visit the area along the Colorado River (in the winter) from about Laughlin, NV in the north down to Yuma, AZ including Parker and Lake Havasu. Some of this is in eastern San Bernardino County. Beautiful country!
This is a nice area, but the heat is sweltering in the summer! Usually ten degrees+ hotter than Las Vegas. It's basically the hottest (inhabited) place in the United States. Of course, Death Valley is more extreme, but very few people live there.

Bullhead City is a nice central location in the tri-state area. 1 hour from Las Vegas, 1.5 hours from Lake Havasu, 2.5 hours to Williams (Grand Canyon train), 2 hours from lake mead, 4 hours to Phoenix, 5 hours to LA, 4 hours to Mexico, etc.

The mountain ranges and ridges around Bullhead are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 AM

208 posts, read 444,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
This is a nice area, but the heat is sweltering in the summer! Usually ten degrees+ hotter than Las Vegas. It's basically the hottest (inhabited) place in the United States. Of course, Death Valley is more extreme, but very few people live there.

Bullhead City is a nice central location in the tri-state area. 1 hour from Las Vegas, 1.5 hours from Lake Havasu, 2.5 hours to Williams (Grand Canyon train), 2 hours from lake mead, 4 hours to Phoenix, 5 hours to LA, 4 hours to Mexico, etc.

The mountain ranges and ridges around Bullhead are beautiful!
It is definitely a place to visit or live ONLY during the winter.

During the winter season it is like a mild spring day to a balmy summer day. DREAMY!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,889 times
You'll like Imperial Valley during the winter, although I wear my jacket or sweater all day because the temperature in the 70's cold for me. There are more things to do in the winter, like going to the desert with the bikes and quads. Believe it or not, you get use to the hot temperatures in the summer.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:42 AM

97 posts, read 117,321 times
Are the prices in the area falling drastically because of the draught and the shrinking of the salt on sea? I would think now would be a good time for those who wanted to live I. The area to buy acreage or a house in one of the towns.

What got me thinking about the area is the news article on yahoo about the shrinking salt on sea, and then I started reading Wikipedia articles on the area, then the different towns, then other websites.

I've been there, although I have been to the deserts north of here, even mostly north ofmcoachella like Death Valley, the are between LA and LV and anything along i10. Even areas between LA and Bakersfield. So the imperial valley I have been to much less. I'm picturing it like Palm Springs but less developed.

I have always liked the desert, especially southern Arizona and California. I can't put my finger on why, just that I do, I guess if you drew a triangle from Las Vegas, to Yuma to the imperial valley and then back to Las Vegas is the best part.

It seems that I remember Arizona as a little nicer but more built up, where California is more deserted and desolate, but in a good way. Off the interstate there didn't seem like much out there.

I wonder what these towns are like, the ones along the salt on sea, el centro, Brawley, westmoreland. I wonder what is going to happen to them if the sea further dries up. I didn't know it was already in such decline. I thought it was still a big attraction with lots of people taking sir boats, rv s, and dirt bikes out there from the cities for the weekend, but it sounds like that was how it was like thirty or forty years ago. The pictures I saw were mostly abandoned places.

Is it nice? Fun? A good place to buy land or a small winter retreat? It doesn't sound like the sea is going to be getting bigger or better anytime within the next fifty years, so I'm not saying people should jump on it and think they are going to make money in a couple years when the rains come and the lake refills, I don't think that is happening. But maybe if you have always wanted to live there, even part time, but it was just a little more expensive than you thought it was worth, now is the time?

Sounds great if you like dry, hot and sun, with a decent amount of amenities like the IV mall, and there are best buys and petsmarts, so it can't be too, too tiny,

Old 06-05-2015, 11:36 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,377,728 times
The mall is pretty sad. There are sand dunes that are worth seeing. The sea there is quickly growing too high in salinity to sustain life. There is little variety in food, mainly just fast food or Mexican food. Few have decent jobs. The area survives mainly off of agriculture and considerable government assistance. Few make it to college. It's not an area I would recommend to most people.

Anza Borrego is not Imperial. Yes, it is very nice if you go in early spring.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-05-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM

3,197 posts, read 3,565,153 times
Bombay Beach, Slab City. Wow. Off the grid in so many ways. No growth, life - seems a place to die.
Reminds me of movie Off the Map with so-called man's man Sam Elliott.
The nature preserves and geothermal opps along the salton sea are worth a visiting look.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:57 PM

620 posts, read 878,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathywr101 View Post
You'll like Imperial Valley during the winter, although I wear my jacket or sweater all day because the temperature in the 70's cold for me.
You are hated by 80% of the country when you say that.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 PM

1,039 posts, read 704,553 times
It is a great place to visit in the winter, but in the summer, it's worse than living in Arizona. And it's poor. If you have a lot of money and want to 'retire' I'm sure there are cheap houses, big houses in many sports. But if you need a job, places like El Centro had like 40 percent Unemployment rate years ago and it always seems to hover around 30 percent. And that's the reported rate.

So think about that for a moment. People are in dire straights when cities have 7 percent Unemployment, imagine a place that has almost 30 percent all the time. And it doesn't really get much better anywhere in Imperial County. Yeah if you have money and just want to 'retire' and that's your kind of place, find a big big house somewhere nobody can bother you.

And Salton Sea... Salton Sea and certain areas are known for little communities of people who didn't fit in anywhere else or are hiding from the rest of the world. Plus Salton Sea smells because it's polluted. It's dead. It's blocked. It's pretty much a poisonous lake that should have disappeared 50 years ago. And being the area has become like a ghosttown and not much money goes into anything in IV, it continues to be a place people curious want to visit, but it's not exactly clean.

So to the OP, Imperial County, in certain areas, is great, and it's not that close. THis theory that you can surf during the day, hike in the mountains, and drive out to the Salton Sea or wherever at night, don't realize how unrealistic that sounds. Places like El Centro aren't that close to SD. They seem close on a map, but after you drive from say PB to El Centro a few times, you probably start dreading that trip. That drive takes forever sometimes and there are tons and tons of accidents along the way if there is bad weather, windy weather, nighttime driving, etc.

THe thing about IV is that you are alone in a way. The rest of California pretty much doesn't think it exists. It isn't really that close to anything. It's a place where some people grew up and couldn't escape, stay. It's a place where prison guards or those who work for a prison, stay. It's a place where people running from other places hide. There are many nice parts of IV, but there are many parts that aren't so nice. It's just that people assume because it doesn't look like LA, it can't be that bad. It's a poor county. And places like El Centro have been considered one of the poorest cities in the entire country over the years.

I will close with this statement. If you have money and don't really need to work and want to feel like you aren't part of the rest of the world, at least in proximity, and you can deal with the hot hot hot weather for about 4 months or more out of the year, go for it. But if you need a job and have no money, remember it's a county that struggles to keep unemployment below 30 percent at times.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 AM

1,334 posts, read 498,775 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Anza Borrego is not Imperial. Yes, it is very nice if you go in early spring.
Anza Borrego SP is in SD, Imperial & Riverside Counties. Anza Borrego SP HQ is in town of Borrego Springs, which is SD Co. Have you ever been in the north end of Coyote Canyon, where Turkey Tracks used to be? That's Riverside Co.

Hard to believe, but Salton Sea at one time had resorts, nice houses, restaurants, etc. When I was a kid, I had a "rich" friend whose family took their boat there all the time to water ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego