Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,051,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I must admit that I am stunned by the "ok" ness of this kind of logic but as I said to each his own. I buy bottled water which is tested rigorously from a mountain source near Mt. Shasta. I won't ever change that. As for treated water from sewage.... I would not ever ingest that.
I too am stunned by the replies you have received. I think you are fighting a losing battle, with very little logic coming your way from the replies-

I'm not even going to add my two cents, except to say that I completely agree with you. Well, this is san diego-it's one of the main 'test markets' for the country, for so many areas, including products, etc. IT's a willing populace, you know?

Not much activism happening in SD, in my experience. But, everything here sure is 'nice'.

I was actually just checking water sources yesterday, coincidentally.
And water is one of the main reasons my native SD spouse wants to leave SD again....hates the quality or lack thereof, of what we are using here. I'm not sure what became of the desalinization idea-but i'm sure it will come up again, b/c as indicated, there is a problem with water sourcing in SD. And it's not just b/c it's 'the desert'; there are desert areas that source from ground water and rivers and streams.

Does any town in the county use palomar mtn water? I don't even think palomar residents use this as their source. Funny you should mention mt shasta-Dunsmuir has THE best water ever. Seriously. It's truly incredible.
Other places I've lived with decent tap water, not like the shasta area, are colorado, montana and massachusetts. Even SFO's wasn't too bad. SD and LA are terrible. Even Tucson, when I visited, surprised me with it's water, relative to SD. Amazing.

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-27-2012 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 AM

50,063 posts, read 46,605,276 times
You let your water supply dictate where you live?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,979,063 times
For those of us who don't want to put recycled water into our bodies there are many choices. The water produced in Mt. Shasta is certainly one of them. The banality of evil is this, that so many poor choices are encouraged and made that when we are offered the chance to drink recycled toilet water it seems just like another choice to make and nothing wrong with it.

It is not a personal criticism.

Be Bold. Make Choices.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I too am stunned by the replies you have received. I think you are fighting a losing battle, with very little logic coming your way from the replies-

I'm not even going to add my two cents, except to say that I completely agree with you. Well, this is san diego-it's one of the main 'test markets' for the country, for so many areas, including products, etc. IT's a willing populace, you know?

Not much activism happening in SD, in my experience. But, everything here sure is 'nice'.

I was actually just checking water sources yesterday, coincidentally.
And water is one of the main reasons my native SD spouse wants to leave SD again....hates the quality or lack thereof, of what we are using here. I'm not sure what became of the desalinization idea-but i'm sure it will come up again, b/c as indicated, there is a problem with water sourcing in SD. And it's not just b/c it's 'the desert'; there are desert areas that source from ground water and rivers and streams.

Does any town in the county use palomar mtn water? I don't even think palomar residents use this as their source. Funny you should mention mt shasta-Dunsmuir has THE best water ever. Seriously. It's truly incredible.
Other places I've lived with decent tap water, not like the shasta area, are colorado, montana and massachusetts. Even SFO's wasn't too bad. SD and LA are terrible. Even Tucson, when I visited, surprised me with it's water, relative to SD. Amazing.

Anyway, good luck!
I disagree that there is no activism. There is PLENTY of activism but in pockets and depending where in the county one lives. It also depends on how hard you look depending on the issue.

There are tons of water sources throughout the county that are natural. Out in Pine Valley for example they have an incredible natural water source there which Helix has been trying to get their hands on. There are even aquifers where I live in Lemon Grove that could easily supply the city for generations. I am sure there are more as well.

The problem here is that it takes MONEY to actually survey, dig, research and establish vs using a state supervised utilities commission or board to manage it. This is both inherntly a pro or con dependong on point of view. Convenience of having a water district keep commodity prices low by buying in bulk or a long term sustainabla goal. This isnt an impossible task, but at some point when the issue hits fever pitch, will become a more relevant agenda item.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM

If my thread serves any good at all it's to tell people that the water you put inside your body should be as pure as possible and that you have options.

You have options.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM

38 posts, read 68,204 times
Everone should read the science behind toilet to tap, it does work and it works well.

I wished they would have chosen a more palatable name for it.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,730,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaboy View Post
Everone should read the science behind toilet to tap, it does work and it works well.

I wished they would have chosen a more palatable name for it.
The science behind this artificial water recycling is very sound.

They (the scientists or the water company) did not pick the 'toilet to tap' name, the alarmist media did.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post

They (the scientists or the water company) did not pick the 'toilet to tap' name, the alarmist media did.
Fortunately and despite "science" most people can call a duck when they see it. All cultures have words for deception. The "alarmist media" is not the reason millions won't touch it. It is a common perception and based upon reasoned and considered opinions that it's no darn good for you.

But hey, that is the beauty of opinions. We all have one. If you want to drink it, step up and do so but don't insult people who think it is still at best a lousy idea and at worst dangerous.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,512,325 times
Quote:
For those of us who don't want to put recycled water into our bodies there are many choices.
Well, there is no new water.

All water is recycled thru the centuries and millenniums. I remember one city data member bragging about his un tapped water underground that was so pristine no one had ever drank it. ALL water is recycled by the earth. Underground springs are fed from underground rivers. Some are thru soil and rock some are actually path ways that have fish.

Quote:
If my thread serves any good at all it's to tell people that the water you put inside your body should be as pure as possible and that you have options.
It is funny that bottled water does not actually have FDA approval. Most bottled water does not have natural minerals our bodies need. Some counties/cities have good tasting water some do not. I know of cities that have different wells and some taste good and some taste like crap in the same city.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post

Or was it the politicians who opposed it.

In LA county (or was that the OC), the pols managed to get it referred to as "showers to flowers". Makes it sound much less ... icky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego