U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM

264 posts, read 1,291,553 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately the Baskin-Robbins & flower shop has been torn down and the marine supply company next door used the space to add on.

I have to say in Pt. Loma's defense, I wouldn't feel unsafe walking there during the day. Not at night, but day's OK. (I still have nightmares about working at BR).
A small note - when I lived in east San Diego, I used to walk down to the corner liquor store on Sundays for a newspaper and a Diet Coke. I would talk to the guy that owned the store - whine about how hard it was to finish college and work at the same time. He was really friendly - used to show me his scars from being stabbed. Turns out we heard on the news he died one day, and then we hear that he was a "most wanted" person back east. Something about him being in the mob, he allegedly killed someone, made shady business deals and up and left his family, changed his name and came out here. Who knew!?

Goes to show ya, crime is everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:14 PM

144 posts, read 871,098 times
I live in Encinitas and I always thought that Point Loma was kind of like Encinitas, but further south. I've never been there, as I have no reason to go past La Jolla, but I'm surprised to hear that's it not a very good area.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:53 PM

112 posts, read 627,874 times
Thankyou, Roma for sharing your experience in Texas. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:54 PM

264 posts, read 1,291,553 times
BENZBOY15 - It's not that Pt. Loma is horrible but for the same astronomical price, I'd pick Encinitas over PL in less than a heartbeat. Encinitas is so much cleaner, has better shops and is walkable. The people in Encinitas are nicer and (I think less clink-ey). The shops in PL are comparatively run-down and the traffic has become close to a parking lot. Not very walkable. The strip joints are very unattractive.
When my cousin moved from North Park to Encinitas I couldn't understood why he said he'd never move back to San Diego. Now that I live in North County, I totally understand. You should visit PL sometime. The views of the bay (when not obscured by haze) are beautiful. The lighthouse is something to see, too, as is Old Town.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 11,093,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
I live in Encinitas and I always thought that Point Loma was kind of like Encinitas, but further south. I've never been there, as I have no reason to go past La Jolla, but I'm surprised to hear that's it not a very good area.
Why is it that people in this county never venture out of the their areas? People in both East and North County seem to be content about never having to venture south of the 8 freeway or west of El Cajon - weird. No reason to go south of La Jolla? This is a big city, folks, and San Diego is more than a coastal beach paradise. You are missing so much about living here if you never go out and explore the rest of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmer
It's not that Pt. Loma is horrible but for the same astronomical price, I'd pick Encinitas over PL in less than a heartbeat
Thanks for reassuring people who may not know that PL is not the gang-fested, cracked-out neighborhood you made it out to be earlier I'd much rather live in PL than Encinitas merely for it's location. San Diego's best places are all nearby, Balboa Park, Coronado, downtown, Little Italy, etc....

Quote:
When my cousin moved from North Park to Encinitas I couldn't understood why he said he'd never move back to San Diego. Now that I live in North County, I totally understand.
Tell your cousin that North Park is turning into one of the hottest urban neighborhoods to live in these days. As they say, "different strokes for different folks"

Old 01-26-2007, 04:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 26,687,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Why is it that people in this county never venture out of the their areas? People in both East and North County seem to be content about never having to venture south of the 8 freeway or west of El Cajon - weird. No reason to go south of La Jolla? This is a big city, folks, and San Diego is more than a coastal beach paradise. You are missing so much about living here if you never go out and explore the rest of the city.
I completely agree. On any given day you will find me working in Poway, or at Memorial Skatepark in Barrio Logan, or at Kennedy Skatepark in the Cajon Zone, or shopping for antiques in OB, or up the mountains, or in Encinitas for some new wheels at McGills.

I love my little house in the gang-infested ghetto and wouldn't trade it for anything... well maybe a house in Kensington :-)

Get out of your comfort zone and explore the city you live in!

Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 AM

5,015 posts, read 11,093,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I completely agree. On any given day you will find me working in Poway, or at Memorial Skatepark in Barrio Logan, or at Kennedy Skatepark in the Cajon Zone, or shopping for antiques in OB, or up the mountains, or in Encinitas for some new wheels at McGills.

I love my little house in the gang-infested ghetto and wouldn't trade it for anything... well maybe a house in Kensington :-)

Get out of your comfort zone and explore the city you live in!
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,359,734 times
San Diego is full of nice areas. I love visiting them all. People think I'm nuts because I'll drive from RB to Point Loma for my favorite Italian place, or drive into Hillcrest for a good sandwich.....or just pick up and go to Pizza Port in Solana Beach for a stout and a slice of Pizza....to be followed by chasing my kids around the beach right there behind Pizza Port.

Home to suburbia to live of course - no remorse, but if you never enjoyed any of these things, why pay the premium to live in San Diego ?

I used (I live in Dallas now) to even get an urge and drive the family up to Dana Point or Capistrano beaches as well.....followed by a trip over to Irvine Spectrum for Chinese and a 3-D movie.

Ahhh, and what about the drives out to Palm Springs through Anza....

Again here, I'm amazed at how many people in San Diego that never even go to Orange County or Palm Springs. In this way, I think San Diego is very insular.

Socal is a state of mind....there shouldn't be boundaries.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,208 times
Thumbs up moving out of san diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarrush View Post
Born and raised here, my family and I (husband and two kids) are ready for a change - sans cookie cutter homes, traffic, etc. We are looking into Washington. Why and where are other people thinking of moving to?
we are doing the same do to the same facts,traffic,fast life style here and crime and so on we decided to move to visalia ca 93277 nice town and people low housing cost

Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 AM

17 posts, read 165,551 times
Red face RE: Vfrpilot

Hi vfrpilot,

Seems we are passing each other in a revolving door (i.e, you moving from SD to Monument CO, and I moving from Monument CO to SD). Not sure many Californians will appreciate your comments how great things are here in CO, but I agree with your observations on the differences including the pros. We love Monument and COS, except for the short and unpredictable spring weather.

Although I was born and grew up in California long ago in San Leandro, after I left, I never thought about returning there in my retirement years (retired 3 years ago after 31 years of Fed Service). However, as fate would have it, our kids and grandkids are moving to SD, and we are going to follow them. They are in the process of buying a new home in 4S ranch next to Poway.

Not looking to downsizing from our 4,000 sq. ft home on 3 wooded acres, but our family is our top priority. Guess there could be worst duty than moving to SD. Our daughter loves the sun, and believes SD will help her with her depression. Perhaps, but the comments by many of the disgrunted CA people wanting to leave ring true. That said, I know I will adapt and have no problem adjusting to SD. Just hope our daughter and family don't become sour on SD. We are getting too old to pick up and move.

Lets keep Monument, or COS a secret, just in case we have to retreat and move back here. Enjoy CO while it lasts.

rxt1949
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or