Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:23 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
There's also the group that bought before 2000,
Perhaps. Or, the shake-up that the real estate crash does to the economy will cause many group-3ers to lose their jobs so they can't buy a home at ANY price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post
Correction. Texas has two national parks
I struggle enough in Ohio on my 60k income...(no, I don't have a BMW or live lavishly...gas prices, utilities, and some bad decisions in the past that would follow me anywhere since the debt still exists) I couldn't imagine trying to live on that in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Speedoflight, I have to disagree with you.

It's all in what you want. If you ALREADY LIVE in CA, you can do it. For reasons like having equity in a home, etc. But moving from a cheap place like Texas, or Ohio, to somewhere like Cali is **** near impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
To Speedoflight: "CA is great for so many things - career opportunities, weather, culture and the list goes on."
Good luck to you, Donna. I will say if you don't think you'll find people in poverty and despair in SoCal, you've got another thing coming. Cali might be exactly what you're looking for, but remember the saying "the grass is always greener..." because there is truth in it.

The great thing about America is that we have so many diverse areas and almost anyone can find somewhere that is exactly what they want. For me, I like the hills and greenery of the eastern US. I don't mind a nice winter snowfall. I like cheap living and am not an outdoorsy person. So, Ohio, KY, NC, TN, etc are fine by me.

For you, it's different. Which is good!

Last edited by Marka; 10-05-2006 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 05:17 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
I agree entirely; this country does offer a variety of geography, demographics, etc. - enough to suit everyone. I was born in Eastern Europe, came to the U.S. at the age of 6. I believe that the U.S. is still the land of opportunity, and I just don't think that my opportunity is here, right where I'm at. One other thing: "poverty" isn't about a financial condition, it's about a "mindset". Being "broke" is a financial condition, which can change, and will change, but I've found that a "poverty" mindset is very difficult to change. My challenge with my current surroundings is feeling like I'm amidst a particular mindset. It's not all about the winters, the geography, the cost of housing, or anything like that. Maybe I'm not expressing what I'm thinking or feeling correctly, but I hope that you respect what I'm saying, because for me, it's my reality.

I wish everyone the best.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:54 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
For the record, I love San Diego and Orange County.

Expensive yes, but I'd say it's worth leading a very humble life to enjoy all there is to offer here.

I agree that there is still a decent sized correction (In addition to my day job, I'm also a Realtor here, so I watch the pendings/listings % closely) in store for the area, but I truly believe that the correction will have come and gone in 7 years. Salaries here will begin to catch up and grab the dropping home prices and find a middle ground. I'll keep both of the homes I own here and know that one day I'll probably find my way back.

As for Frisco, neat city, but I wouldn't live there personally. San Jose and the Bay, no way. I've been offered obscence amounts of money to move there and I'm simply not interested at this point. I feel that area lacks a soul, but that's me. Others may enjoy it there. Perhaps at a later stage in life it may appeal to me.

As for Texas, I think there is more there than 'cheap' housing, which is probably a misnomer because once you move to the nicer areas that model the infrastructure here - your going to pay 350-550k. For me, the job market there is exploding in my industry and the jobs pay well and offers alot of upward mobility. San Diego is still very smalltown with regards to the job market. Orange county is better, but you'd need to go to LA to match Dallas. LA is bad, and even as malleable/open minded as I am...would probably rather live in Kuwait.

I also like the people in Texas and feel that there is alot of culture there (more than San Diego). To my surprise, I'm also amazed at how good the school system is in NC Texas.

Yep, it's hotter than the dickens, but I'll have a pool and spend more time on vacation in the Summer. I have friends there that also have boats. I know for certain that I can deal with heat alot better than I can deal with cold.

But again, that's me. We are all different and require different things at different points in our life/career.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:04 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Having lived in Arizona, I can tell you the heat is brutal. You can say all you want about dry heat,but its murder. Doesnt cool off at night either. Its the worst I have ever experienced including Florida. I am sure you have all been to Palm Springs in the summer? Well that heat is Yuma. Its like people in Seattle trying to make other states believe it only drizzles so its not so bad. Trouble is, it drizzles all the time. I am not relocating. THis is heaven. What good is a place if you are indoors for months on end.
I think we get it now....(hitting forehead) ...YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT!! Funny how Palm Springs is such a vacation destination. Guess some people like it.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 PM

"I think we get it now....(hitting forehead) ...YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT!! "

I was ready to say the same thing....the man does not like heat.

"Funny how Palm Springs is s"uch a vacation destination. Guess some people like it."

I'm one! I spend 2-3 weekends in La Quinta every summer. I'm opposite from Johnmarg.....the heat can be sothing to me....cold is the one that's hell - and gloomy overcast, I'm ready to slit my wrists. I hate even when it gets down to 60 degrees here. Since it hasn't rained in San Diego in like 3 years, I have to go to Carlsbad to see overcast (i.e. Marine layer).

Old 10-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
"I think we get it now....(hitting forehead) ...YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT!! "

I was ready to say the same thing....the man does not like heat.

"Funny how Palm Springs is s"uch a vacation destination. Guess some people like it."

I'm one! I spend 2-3 weekends in La Quinta every summer. I'm opposite from Johnmarg.....the heat can be sothing to me....cold is the one that's hell - and gloomy overcast, I'm ready to slit my wrists. I hate even when it gets down to 60 degrees here. Since it hasn't rained in San Diego in like 3 years, I have to go to Carlsbad to see overcast (i.e. Marine layer).
I was being sarcastic about Palm Springs...I like it too!!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:46 PM

There is something about Palm Springs/Indian Wells that just puts my mind in a good place. It 'feels' like vacation when I'm there. I love that place and would work there in a second if they had any jobs in my field. Everything there is centered around the Hotels.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 131,834 times
Default You guys are making me nervous about moving there.

I was recently in San Diego and fell in love with the area. I decided to relocate there from DC (absolutely hate DC and have lived on the east coast my entire life) I really can't stand DC. The weather here sucks. It is so hot and humid in the summer and seems to rain nonstop. Winters are terrible. It snows and is freezing. Fall and spring can be nice but the 70 degree days are few and far between. And regardless of the temperature, the sun does not shine here!!! And don't even get me started on the traffic here. I love the beach and the beaches in the NE are absolutely horrible. They are crowded, take forever to get to, and ugly.

Also, I find that people are just rude and dull in DC. All they care about is work. It's all about working from 6:00am to 7:00pm, what you do, who you know, ect. Way to many workaholics. And people aren't very open to making new friends. There's no hospitality in this city, for sure.

Anyways, I am tranferring to my company's SD office and can't wait. But after reading some of the posts on this forum topic, I am getting a little nervous. Should I be? I'm young, single, and make a decent salary so I'm not worried about the cost of living. In fact, compared to Arlington, VA, I've noticed from rental listings online that it's almost cheaper in San Diego.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime24 View Post
I was recently in San Diego and fell in love with the area. I decided to relocate there from DC (absolutely hate DC and have lived on the east coast my entire life) I really can't stand DC. The weather here sucks. It is so hot and humid in the summer and seems to rain nonstop. Winters are terrible. It snows and is freezing. Fall and spring can be nice but the 70 degree days are few and far between. And regardless of the temperature, the sun does not shine here!!! And don't even get me started on the traffic here. I love the beach and the beaches in the NE are absolutely horrible. They are crowded, take forever to get to, and ugly.

Also, I find that people are just rude and dull in DC. All they care about is work. It's all about working from 6:00am to 7:00pm, what you do, who you know, ect. Way to many workaholics. And people aren't very open to making new friends. There's no hospitality in this city, for sure.

Anyways, I am tranferring to my company's SD office and can't wait. But after reading some of the posts on this forum topic, I am getting a little nervous. Should I be? I'm young, single, and make a decent salary so I'm not worried about the cost of living. In fact, compared to Arlington, VA, I've noticed from rental listings online that it's almost cheaper in San Diego.
If your renting and not trying to buy.....go ahead...move. It's a fun place with perfect weather...lots to do. However...people work just as much out there....they have to, due to the cost of living.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Rentals are a great deal here. Seriously, I can rent a home cheaper here than I can in Dallas....where the homes cost 60% less. Seriously though, I know the prices seem on par with Northern VA (I grew up on the East Coast near DC), but here they are actually lower because our property taxes here are pretty much fixed at around 1%.

When I came out to San Diego with the Navy (after growing up in MD for 20 years), I honestly could not believe that such a nice place existed. The air just feels good here. As for being single....best way to come here. You definitely do not want to 'bring the sand to the beach'. You'll love it here, but definitely rent for a while till you figure out where you want to live and get a handle on our local Real Estate Market.....it's bad now.

Per Shannon, you will work just as hard out here because there will be 5 people in line at your companies' other locations waiting to take your job when your tired of it, for less money....I have never met so many people in my life that are unhappy with their work as I've met here. It's just one of those places that is so nice that people will spend 20 years in a crummy job in order to stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego