Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 AM

10 posts, read 57,285 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job in san Diego. It is income neutral but a good professional opportunity. I presently live in the dos Vientos community in Newbury park and I love it. Great schools, many parks, high degree of safety, walking and hiking trails and proximity to sycamore canyon park.
Is there anywhere in la jolla, north county areas that can compare to this?
Any information is helpful,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM

127 posts, read 424,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calves2997 View Post
I have been offered a job in san Diego. It is income neutral but a good professional opportunity. I presently live in the dos Vientos community in Newbury park and I love it. Great schools, many parks, high degree of safety, walking and hiking trails and proximity to sycamore canyon park.
I don't know what housing and general cost of living is like where you're coming from but for the listing of area qualities you gave you can defiantly find them in in La Jolla and in areas of North County.

La Jolla would probably have the most qualities you were looking for, it is decently safe and is just south of Torrey Pines State Park which has trails and hiking. La Jolla also has some nice beach areas. I'm not familiar with the schools in La Jolla.

Encinitas, in North County, has no large state parks, but has nice beaches and many smaller city parks. Encinitas also has excellent schools and is very safe. Encinitas is about 15 minutes (more or less) north of Torrey Pines, and about 25-30 minutes west of the Elfin Forest Reserve (which is great for mountain biking and hiking).

You may also want to look into the San Elijo Hills, La Costa, and Rancho Bernardo areas of North County. (I'm not exactly sure if Rancho Bernardo is considered north county or not) I'm not too familiar with these but have been told they are very safe, have pretty good schools and all are in fairly close proximity to the Elfin Forest reserve which has some really nice hiking trails. These areas are further east than La Jolla and Encinitas.

(Home costs and Rent in all these areas are pretty high.)

Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCStudent View Post
I don't know what housing and general cost of living is like where you're coming from but for the listing of area qualities you gave you can defiantly find them in in La Jolla and in areas of North County.

La Jolla would probably have the most qualities you were looking for, it is decently safe and is just south of Torrey Pines State Park which has trails and hiking. La Jolla also has some nice beach areas. I'm not familiar with the schools in La Jolla.

Encinitas, in North County, has no large state parks, but has nice beaches and many smaller city parks. Encinitas also has excellent schools and is very safe. Encinitas is about 15 minutes (more or less) north of Torrey Pines, and about 25-30 minutes west of the Elfin Forest Reserve (which is great for mountain biking and hiking).

You may also want to look into the San Elijo Hills, La Costa, and Rancho Bernardo areas of North County. (I'm not exactly sure if Rancho Bernardo is considered north county or not) I'm not too familiar with these but have been told they are very safe, have pretty good schools and all are in fairly close proximity to the Elfin Forest reserve which has some really nice hiking trails. These areas are further east than La Jolla and Encinitas.

I suppose it's true that Encinitas has no large state parks, but there are lots of open spaces, county and city parks etc. We hiked the San Elijo Lagoon trail today and it's hard to believe you're not in the middle of nowhere when you're out there. Definitely worth checking out Encinitas if you're planning a move here.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calves2997 View Post
San Diego is safe, in general. There are individual areas that are less safe scattered among San Diego.

San Diego has availability to walking and hiking trails, in general. The more central areas are more limited in this respect.

I'd say that all of "la jolla, north county areas" compare to this. And areas of San diego that don't fall into those areas also compare to this.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:42 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,068,771 times
Also, carmel valley just south of del mar, has the top schools in the district, alongside poway. carmel valley is a few mile from torrey pines, and is bikeable, with no freeways. Lots of parks and walking distance to health store, theater, shops, etc. very safe, clean, great for families, and central to everything-ie, it's not so far north or south. you can get most places in 20 minutes. 56, 5 and 805 are extremely convenient to CV. other trails are not so far-in rancho penasquitos, poway, bernardo, mission gorge, etc.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,733,684 times
I have a friend who lives in nearby Camarillo and that entire area screams San Diego North County. From Carmel Valley to the south, east to Scripps Ranch, north to South Escondido and the west to Carlsbad........that entire swath is comparable to where you live now, ie, open space, hiking trails, good schools, safe, etc.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 AM

76 posts, read 244,193 times
We used to live in Wood Ranch, off the 23 and Olsen...LOVED the area, hiking, small town feel, and the kindness of Ventura County. We moved to Colorado in 2006 and were fortunate to be able to come back to CA. We are now in North County in San Elijo Hills...this area does have a bit of the feel of Dos Vientos. We moved here for the schools...we did look in the areas of Carlsbad that we could afford, but the schools were not scoring as high on their STAR testing and AYPs, so we chose San Elijo.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCStudent View Post

North County, San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with many of these posts above. North County is really great! We absolutely love living in it. Schools are wonderful for our kids and the quality of life is really great. It's clean, safe, full of friendly people and beautiful homes and communities. North County Coastal and North County San Diego are as close to perfect to me as it gets if you are raising kids.

Like another poster mentioned, it can be a bit pricey to live in these areas but I find it's worth it. Different strokes for different folks. For example, I'd have no interest at all in living downtown with kids. But there are some downtown that wouldn't have any desire to be out here I'm sure. But raising kids out here, I can tell you that it doesn't get much better than this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego