Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM

13 posts, read 32,807 times

Advertisements

Im moving to San Diego in early April from Chicago. My car now has over 120,000 miles and I want a new car, but I dont know if i should sell my car here and then buy a new car in San Diego or buy a new car here and drive it across country and stay on Illinois insurance cuz its cheaper. Cars seem more money in San Diego too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times
You should wait until you get here to buy one. Do you have a job lined up? Once you start working, you would have to transfer your car anyway.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 AM

127 posts, read 423,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapast3 View Post
Im moving to San Diego in early April from Chicago. My car now has over 120,000 miles and I want a new car, but I dont know if i should sell my car here and then buy a new car in San Diego or buy a new car here and drive it across country and stay on Illinois insurance cuz its cheaper. Cars seem more money in San Diego too.
Well once you move out here you will have to change to California insurance and have the vehicle registered with California tags anyways (within 30 days I believe), if you plan to make a "permanent" move. If you think it can make the journey, then save your money and just keep the old car. Then buy a new one in San Diego when you need to.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,519 times
You can't stay on Illinois insurance if you're a California resident. You may THINK it's a smart thing to do, but if you get in an accident and you're living in California instead of Illinois, guess what the insurance company will do.

They will say you lied when you purchased the insurance and therefore it is not valid. And they'll keep the premiums you paid, and you will be on your own.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,328,607 times
it is a ridiculous plan to keep Il insurance because it is probably cheaper here. Many on this board have discovered this after a move. I would take the car out here and not think about getting another until you have a job and know what your budget will be.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,545,402 times
If you buy a car in another state and then bring it to California within some amount of time (I don't know how much), California will insist that you pay California state sales tax on the car. They do this to prevent California residents from simply buying in states that have lower sales tax.

If your insurance plan is from some national insurance company, they'll probably transfer it to California. If it's some sort of state of Illinois plan, they won't be willing to cover you in Illinois.

I can't think of a single reason why it would be a good idea to buy your car there instead of waiting until you get here.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM

7,342 posts, read 12,565,936 times
I'd say flog that old car until it makes it out here, and then get a CA car. Consider the fact that used cars are generally in better shape out here: less rust, no salt damage. The downside is, they may have more miles on them. But we have great Internet auto search engines that will let you see what's available in the entire region. New life, new lifestyle, new CA car--why not?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM

13 posts, read 32,807 times
The reason I would buy a car in Illinois and stay on insurance is because I would still have the same address because we are not selling our house in Chicago and Im just moving in with my mom in Poway, so no money for rent and have a lot of money saved up already. Do I need a California Licence to get a job out there?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,545,402 times
I can see why you might want to do that, but I don't think it'll work if you're planning to get a job here. I think California will decide that you've moved here, regardless of how you see it. Then you have a limited amount of time (30 days, maybe?) to register your car in California, and you'll have to deal with the sales tax issue.

You'd have to negotiate with your Illinois insurance company as to whether it would cover you in California, and for how long.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times
No, but once you start working here, you have to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego