Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

That is misleading as it appears. It states that if you cannot afford Walmart's premiums for their insurance plan there are other options. My Company offers different levels of plans and none of them are cheap (for me). It appears they(WM) DO offer health care plans. Target or Rite Aid etc., should be pointing out options for their "expensive" medical plans. The issue as I see it is that healthcare is not affordable for most people. It doesn't matter who you work for or what you do for employment.

I don't see most WM jobs as a job meant for head of household. I see it as jobs for the retired age and younger kids with no kids themselves.

Some WM jobs pay fairly well.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...%2c_Inc/Salary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The suburban Wal-Mart nearest to me always smells funny. It's hard to explain, but I've never been in another store with that smell. It's probably because it's an older store and not a new market, but still, why does it smell?

Also, I've never ever been in another department store restroom that had excrement all over the floor and walls, like I saw one evening in my local suburban Wal-Mart. It was everywhere, like someone had an extreme Mr. Hanky party in there. You can argue that I wasn't in my right mind to enter a Wal-Mart restroom at night in the first place, but when nature calls, what's a guy to do? When I showed the manager, the first thing he said was "Holy s%@#!" and I was like, "yup, skip the "holy" part, but that's what it is." The whole thing was unreal. Never been back in that restroom again, and barely shop at that store anymore.

I really miss the Wal-Mullets website. It was taken down a few years ago.

Wal-Mart will not retain their grip on the retail market forever. Remember how prevalent and influential Sears was back in the day? However, in the meantime I truly hope the East Village neighborhood benefits from more grocery shopping options and that their future Wal-Mart remains clean and cared for.
Mullets 2.0
Funny Pictures at WalMart

Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
That was FRIGHTENING

Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
I had read this review recently of a Wal Mart book in Forbes. Definitely attention grabbing and fitting based on some of the opinions here.
For the record, I dont shop at Wal Mart but think think they have been a pioneering leader in retail logistics. Ethically they take the term 'profit' to a whole new level, but at the same time, they never ever promised to things ethically correct or provide employees, industry leading benefits.
They have an enormous amount of lobbying power on Capitol Hill and cater to both liberal and conservative agendas VERY well. If anything they are clever at what they do for the sake of profit, but for someone like me, will never be on my radar to shop in because for the one or two items they do have I use, its likely I would just find it on Amazon.

Since no other company had the capital to open a store where this one is going in near downtown, then lets just hope Wal Mart screws up and at least leaves a nice foot print for a local business to take over that spot. But for now, let the people there actually have access to food. I am fairly certain based on demographic, the Northgate opening not far from this Wal Mart will blow it out of the water.

"Take Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart customers want the lowest possible prices on the things they use every day. And Wal-Mart delivers, with reliably rock-bottom pricing and fantastic product variety. To afford it, the company under-delivers on other parts of the retail experience, such as sales support and ambience. You won’t find an army of helpful employees at your average Wal-Mart, and its decor isn’t likely to give you ideas for your home renovation. Yet Wal-Mart customers are delighted to make these tradeoffs."

Emulate Wal-Mart And Dare To Be Bad? - Forbes

Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I see it as jobs for the retired age and younger kids with no kids themselves.

Some WM jobs pay fairly well.

PayScale - Wal-Mart Stores, Inc Employer Salary, Average Salaries
Do really Think that's good pay?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Do really Think that's good pay?

What pay is appropriate for the skill level of the job? As in a grocery store, should someone who stacks cans, sweeps floors, sprays down lettuce and swipes items on a scanner have big pay and a pension? These are not labor type jobs, they are also not technical. Someone in Junior High or even grade school could be trained to do most of these jobs.

I did this type of job for extra spending cash while in HS.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Thanks, schmoov. I'm now officially too scared to use the internet ever again.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I used to work for Walmart 7 years ago as a overnight stocksman.

Do you guys remember when the El Cajon Wallys World first opened? Well if you do, I was hired before that store opened, and was on the team that stocked the entire store for it's grand opening. It took about 4 days surprisingly, but that was with people working day and night.

The reason I despise Walmart so much, is because I remember when I started out, the overnight crew team had about 30 to 40 people on it. In 6-8 months that number dropped down to 15! Why you ask? Well either these people got fired or quit.

Management would never hire more people to help us out, so you had multiple employee's stocking 3 to 4 departments on their own, struggling to finish by 6 am. When before, everything would get done on time every morning because we had the people to get the job done.

They made overnight stocksman work like slaves, I wasn't the only one that had complaints regarding the management ethics, but basically the whole team did. Nothing was ever done, because I was told later before I quit that place, that specific Walmart location didn't hire new replacements, because they obviously wanted to save on payroll.

Going from 30 to 40 stocks-mans, to 15, is a huge savings for them. But that meant we all had to work 3 times harder with crappy pay, and no compassion or care from our supervisors. Plus I remember some guys being physically exhausted and miss a lot of days of work, since they had to stock 3 to 4 departments by themselves, (including unloading the trucks twice a week) until the last couple of hours when other stocksman that were finished up with there department, would go over and help the employee in need.

It is true that they hardly give raises to their employees, I got a 75 cent raise the 2 years I worked there! And then depending on your position, there's a maximum limit on raises. Managers are on salary, but work like 12 hour shifts, and they are also treated like crap, sometimes working more than they have to since salary based pay employees are pulled and tugged around like dogs.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I used to work for Walmart 7 years ago as a overnight stocksman.

Do you guys remember when the El Cajon Wallys World first opened? Well if you do, I was hired before that store opened, and was on the team that stocked the entire store for it's grand opening. It took about 4 days surprisingly, but that was with people working day and night.

The reason I despise Walmart so much, is because I remember when I started out, the overnight crew team had about 30 to 40 people on it. In 6-8 months that number dropped down to 15! Why you ask? Well either these people got fired or quit.

Management would never hire more people to help us out, so you had multiple employee's stocking 3 to 4 departments on their own, struggling to finish by 6 am. When before, everything would get done on time every morning because we had the people to get the job done.

They made overnight stocksman work like slaves, I wasn't the only one that had complaints regarding the management ethics, but basically the whole team did. Nothing was ever done, because I was told later before I quit that place, that specific Walmart location didn't hire new replacements, because they obviously wanted to save on payroll.

Going from 30 to 40 stocks-mans, to 15, is a huge savings for them. But that meant we all had to work 3 times harder with crappy pay, and no compassion or care from our supervisors. Plus I remember some guys being physically exhausted and miss a lot of days of work, since they had to stock 3 to 4 departments by themselves, (including unloading the trucks twice a week) until the last couple of hours when other stocksman that were finished up with there department, would go over and help the employee in need.

It is true that they hardly give raises to their employees, I got a 75 cent raise the 2 years I worked there! And then depending on your position, there's a maximum limit on raises. Managers are on salary, but work like 12 hour shifts, and they are also treated like crap, sometimes working more than they have to since salary based pay employees are pulled and tugged around like dogs.
I haven't received a raise since 2008 but I'm glad I still have my job. When you worked there why didn't you look for something better? 7 years is pretty stubborn.

2 out of 3 of the first jobs I had were very labor intensive but I didn't consider the pay too bad.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
The big assumption you're making is that a Walmart job is just a stepping stone. Guess what? For a lot of people, that is as far as they can go.

Not everyone has the skill or the intellectual firepower to get a job doing something more than menial work. These people need to be able to provide for themselves or they will end up costing those who have better jobs. They will require public assistance if their employers do not pay enough for them to live.

It used to be that if you were willing to work hard, you'd be able to provide a middle class life for yourself and your family and you'd be able to do it on one income. For some reason, there are people who consider it good that this is no longer true.

As for finding something better, my question to you is this. Why don't you do the same thing you suggest the people who are working at these McJobs do? A company that's asking you to eat inflation for three going on four years is not treating you well.

I am going to get everything I can as quick as I can. Companies have shown they'll fire people at the drop of a hat, so why should I show them any loyalty?

Last edited by tonyinsd; 06-22-2012 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego