Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

I read this today. When it opens, it should do well.

San Diego's first Walmart Neighborhood Market will be located on Imperial Avenue just east of downtown, the company announced Thursday.

The 46,000-square-foot grocery store-style outlet will go into the old Farmer's Market building between 21st and 22nd streets. Wal-Mart officials said they will restore the historical character of the vacant structure.

"The size and scale of this new store is reflective of the surrounding area, and our affordable grocery offerings help serve a real need in the neighborhood," said Steven Restivo, senior director of community affairs for Wal-Mart. "As we continue to evaluate opportunities to open stores across the region, we also will continue to be flexible in our approach to local communities."

The facility, which will employ 67 people, will offer fresh produce, meat and dairy products, frozen foods, dry goods and staples, health and beauty aids, stationery and paper goods, pharmacy, deli and bakery items, and pet supplies.

It wasn't immediately known when the store will open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times
There are several of these in and around Plano (North Dallas). They are very popular and their prices are very reasonable.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,583 times
Not. Shopping. There. Ever.

I refuse to give any of my money to a company that tells its employees in orientations how to apply for Medicaid and food stamps. They're socializing the costs and privatizing the gains, and I will not support any organization that does that.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I shop at Walmart all the time. I shop where the prices are lowest, and rarely go into the major grocery chains. I see no reason to pay $3.00 more for same item that I can get for less.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,697 times
Although I would probably never shop there, that area has been under served for as long as I have lived here.
I think its a GREAT thing for the folks in that area because just south of this Wal Mart Market is the Northgate Market that will be opening.
I had met some local leaders in that area about 6 months ago and they had been pushing for years to try and get markets that provide fresh fruit and grocery items around there. For them its like a dream to get two so close to one another.

I looked at the numbers and It was a real shame that they needed to take at least a 30 min bus ride to get groceries at the nearest supermarket.

So regardless of political ideology, or principle, there are tons of people in that area that will gladly shop at either store. I am just wondering if the Wal Mart will try to compete in the Latin foods section with Northgate.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Many complain that the areas are underserved, then when there is a solution they complain about who it is. What's next, they want everything free? You can't force people to open a store in the hood. Do we rely on the Govt even more for something like this?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do we rely on the Govt even more for something like this?
We are. Seeing how Wal-Mart teaches its employees during their orientation how to apply for food stamps and Medicaid, we're paying for the costs of their employees, and they're pocketing the profits.

They're playing us for chumps. I will not support a company like that.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Many complain that the areas are underserved, then when there is a solution they complain about who it is. What's next, they want everything free? You can't force people to open a store in the hood. Do we rely on the Govt even more for something like this?

I agree totally. But who is really complaining? I know I have not heard a complaint in this specific area. At least from some of the people that I have spoken to in that area, there is a clear distinction between having 0 access to something. That is what I was talking about and that is what I mean by under served. Not some progressive liberal slant that everyone needs Wal Marts because they are cheap.

I dont think its any surprise to me at least that once Northgate jumped on board, that a larger company with far more reach would get in. That is simple economics and capitalism at play. I highly doubt Wal Mart would have jumped in there if Northgate didnt or another brand. I think its great that Wal Mart is moving in there to give people choices. I definitely dont agree with what I have heard in regards to their business practices, but then again I dont think the people shopping there will be thinking based on principle like tonyinsd. Wal Mart never appealed that type of shopper and never will.

If this area gentrifies in 30 years, I highly doubt a gentrified area will be all about Wal Mart, hence it closing up shop because its target market doesnt exist. If anything a Whole Foods would show up or Trader Joes.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
We are. Seeing how Wal-Mart teaches its employees during their orientation how to apply for food stamps and Medicaid, we're paying for the costs of their employees, and they're pocketing the profits.

They're playing us for chumps. I will not support a company like that.
So the people do without?? It doesn't effect me but if I did in fact live there I'd be wanting a Walmart pretty badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I agree totally. But who is really complaining? I know I have not heard a complaint in this specific area. At least from some of the people that I have spoken to in that area, there is a clear distinction between having 0 access to something. That is what I was talking about and that is what I mean by under served. Not some progressive liberal slant that everyone needs Wal Marts because they are cheap.

I dont think its any surprise to me at least that once Northgate jumped on board, that a larger company with far more reach would get in. That is simple economics and capitalism at play. I highly doubt Wal Mart would have jumped in there if Northgate didnt or another brand.

If this area gentrifies in 30 years, I highly doubt a gentrified area will be all about Wal Mart, hence it closing up shop because its target market doesnt exist. If anything a Whole Foods would show up or Trader Joes.
See above. A solution has been offered.

And yes, if the areas clean up other shops move in. Then the poor leave creating yet another poor area somewhere else. It appears to me that Walmart is one of only a few players willing to take the risk of opening in these poorer areas yet many still look negatively at Walmart.

These areas need help now, not years from now.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 03-02-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
A utilized, functioning and maintained building is always better than an empty, under-maintained and usually vandalized one.

Not a fan of Walmart by any means but this is a good thing for the neighborhood- I walk around there all the time and the neighborhood has a vitality just bubbling under the surface that these new developments will only bring out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego