Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 14,524 times

Advertisements

My sons are allergic and are suffering from severe allergies with Asthma and wheezing. To address their health issues, we are thinking of moving from Bay Area, CA to San Diego, CA. Appreciate if someone living in San Diego, CA can help me validate which of these listed below are highest:

Birch/Alder mix
Maple CM (Box Elder)
Elm AM (Chinese Elm)
Oak
Olive/Ash/privet
Walnut
Bottlebrush
Pepper Tree
Pine
Tree-of-heaven
Bermuda grass
CMG Grass mix
Dust mites

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I recommend that you contact Rady's Childrens Hospital here in San Diego Pediatric Education Department or Allergy Education or just ask your questions and they should be able to direct you.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM

123 posts, read 405,565 times
I personally get nailed by the oak and walnut catkins in spring, but that is really only an issue if I go to east county where those are in abundance. If you are within the urban part of San Diego county there are not nearly so many trees as to be much of an issue.

Looking over your list and comparing it to where I am right now the only issue would be the two large pine trees next door.

Edit to add: The grasses are a total wildcard. That depends on what the neighbors chose for the lawn. There's no way you are going to be able to control for that one.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Also, the santa ana winds come in a few times per year, usually, and they can stir things up for folks with allergies. They normally only last for a few days, tops. At the same time, I've known people with severe allergies in one location, not have any issues in another, even with a few of the same allergins in the second location. One of those mysteries....

Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Thanks a lot. Will do

Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 AM

I agree with you lrmsd, What I have noted is, it takes 2-3 yrs for a person to get used to local allergens to start reacting. So it may help for first year or two and after that, depending on how the body reacts, allergies trigger again.
Thanks for your response. Appreciate it

Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks Anak for your response. Appreciate it.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I grew up in Walnut Creek and would get horrible allergies every year and I pretty stopped getting them all together when I moved to San Diego and never really got them in my 9 years there. I always lived within 5 miles of the coast so that may have had something to do with it but from my experience my allergies were pretty much non existent after moving down there. Of course people experiences will vary but that was mine.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,392 times
Oh man, I'm currently pinching my nose and sniffling...thought I would have less allergies than when I lived in North Carolina.

Zytec isn't helping me, may have to knock myself out with chlorpheniramine because Benadryl only makes me drowsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego