Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 PM

28 posts, read 52,662 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Virginia pretty much all of my life, but have relatives in the San Diego area(Escondido, Temecula), so I end up visiting there every couple of years.

I am currently looking at either San Diego State University or University of Redlands(up near LA/Pomona) for their graduate GIS Programs. One of the questions I have is for people that have been involved in graduate study in this geographic area. Are most of you working full-time, part-time, or are doing TA's to help pay for school? Are there many GIS companies in SoCal that are hiring that kind of experience(masters)? I would also be looking for some kind of work to start saving up/pay rent/etc in advance since I probably would not start until fall next year.

I have a graduate certificate in GIS right now and have not had much luck in finding full-time work with that.

I also know I would have to have lived in CA for one year to even be considered for in-state tuition.

Any other GIS programs on the west coast worth mentioning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
maybe you should post something on a professional networking site specific to your field. Posting an acronym ("GIS") wanting detailed professional advice is not going to grab the attention of the general public-which is reading this board.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM

28 posts, read 52,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
maybe you should post something on a professional networking site specific to your field. Posting an acronym ("GIS") wanting detailed professional advice is not going to grab the attention of the general public-which is reading this board.
what about good places to live for a 25/26 year old attending grad school at sdsu? or in the escondido area(close to bear valley pkwy)?

btw GIS is geographic information systems. It seems every time I say "Geographic information systems" someone goes "Ohh, GIS" and if I say GIS, no one has a clue what I'm talking about lol

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
hopefully many people can assist with living near SDSU. I am more of an urban core person since that is where I landed when I got here. I would see if you could stay with your relatives long enough to to get a lay of the land and see where you want to live. If you end up finding a place, I am sure Escond. won't be your first choice since there are many communities closer and likely more interesting for you.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
I've lived in inland North County, and gone to SDSU, and personally I would never do it again. Driving through Escondido at rush hour takes forever - since all the cars have to pass over Lake Hodges, and there are only so many lanes for all that traffic. And then parking at SDSU in the mornings is a nightmare. I had to leave way too early, just to ensure I got there in time, and got a parking space.

Besides, there are soooo many great places to live, closer to school!

And you know the deadline to apply is coming up soon? And that it's pretty tough to get accepted? Even back when I was attending school there, it was tough to get into the grad programs - and I've heard it's much worse now.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
If you are thinking about SDSU, look into neighborhoods nearby [not walkable and no public transit; SD campuses and city as a whole, is not one of those walkable or urban core type of cities. it's spread out suburbs, with the exception of: north and south park, normal heights, university heights, mission hills, hillcrest. These would also be good neighborhoods for a grade student.]

Most students attending UCSD, on the other hand, live in UTC area, which is suburbs and tall apartment complexes, near la jolla.

You could also check CSU-san marcos; it's closer to escondido and temecula. I have no idea if they have your major. And, I don't know how far san bernardino or riverside would be from temecula; you could look at the CSU and UC campuses there, as well as irvine. I have no idea, just a suggestion for directions to explore.
I'm not familiar with your major, but does the military hire for that? If so, SD/camp pendleton, lots of military jobs, if you have clearance.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
If you are thinking about SDSU, look into neighborhoods nearby [not walkable and no public transit; SD campuses and city as a whole, is not one of those walkable or urban core type of cities. it's spread out suburbs, with the exception of: north and south park, normal heights, university heights, mission hills, hillcrest. These would also be good neighborhoods for a grade student.]
Actually the bus and the trolley both roll right onto campus at SDSU - in my opinion it's more convenient to take the bus or the trolley, than to find parking!

At one point I lived in North Park, and left my car sitting at home, and instead hopped on the bus. I didn't have to pay for parking, didn't have to leave super-early to find a parking spot, and I got dropped off really close to my classes.

I missed that when I moved farther away, and had to drive to school again.

And just to somewhat address the other school you're looking at... I drove through the city Redlands today. I know very little about the university, other than it has a good reputation - but the city itself is one of my favorite places on earth!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:37 AM

396 posts, read 925,740 times
Hey OP, I go to state an am in a Grad program.

I found a place right next to school so I walk and don't have to deal with parking. I hear it is pretty bad and only getting worse. I pay about $690 a month total with utilities.

Word of advice... don't room with undergrads. I have 2 or 3 people in my house that are spoiled brats and like to party every night because they don't have jobs nor do they go to class all the time (nor do they study).

I found a job/internship on campus within 2 weeks of being here, but I am in the business program. That pretty much covers my rent, food, and car payments (have loans for tuition).

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego