U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM

4,299 posts, read 3,595,651 times
Default Anyone else end up in line for a new Ipad 3 yesterday at Apple Store?

I'm just curious if anyone else ended up in a line yesterday for the new Ipad 3? I told myself I refused to stand in line for one of these. I got the first 2 and loved them.

I called the UTC La Jolla Apple store in the morning and they said there was a line so I waited until around 12 PM. They said there was no line. So I drove out and there was just a small line. They had already sold out of several models.

Did anyone else stand in a line for one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 AM

4,063 posts, read 3,393,988 times
Not us. Our fanboy friend pre-ordered his online. He figures he was pretty high up on the pre-order list. His arrived yesterday morning, so he's having fun gloating about it to us with our mere iPad2.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I was going to pre-order but they were all sold out online.

It's not worth upgrading unless you have to. My daughter was carrying my Ipad 2 and dropped face first and the glass screen cracked so it was a good excuse to get the Ipad3.

I guess now the insurance they sell covers accidental damage so I went ahead and got it this time.

There isn't too much of a difference from the 2. The resolution is better but doesn't seem worth it to upgrade from the Ipad 2.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM

215 posts, read 537,811 times
Nope. I was in bed with my iPad 2, cuddling up watching movies. I'm loyal like that. :P

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 AM

455 posts, read 601,983 times
If I wanted something for fun and entertainment, then the ipad would be on top of my list, but I'm
waiting for a ~10" tablet with thin wireless keyboard (<3 lbs), supporting Office and corporate PC software. I'm hoping the Windows 8 with Ivy bridge intel chip to go into a tablet/ultralight laptop, to replace both my work laptop and tablet functions. Yes, I know Apple has Office too, but not all marcos and custom templates work.

I was hoping the Asus Transformer Prime with keyboard would be a compromise, but with ICS delayed and wireless design issues, I think I'll wait for the IdeaPad Yoga.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 AM

4,415 posts, read 4,056,719 times
Great question earlyretirement. I too was curious how the buzz was around this.

Apple yet again is able to make the improvements attractive enough to be top of class and useful for end users. Although there are minor differences between the 2 and 3, they still set the pace in terms of those improvements. I am by no means a fanboi of Apple or any company for that matter, but am also not blind enough to see the impact Apple make not only for their customers but standards in my industry.

Looking a year or two out, we probably wont see to much in terms 'revolutionary' but the improvements in performance, hardware and software will only benefit not only the industry as a whole but the end users. The Windows 8 OS preview so far has been pretty amazing. I think it will change how we interact with a computer in parallel to iOS. Its definitely a lot different than before.

This is definitely an exciting time to be working in this industry.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM

341 posts, read 382,499 times
Was visiting your beautiful city last week and went over to the Apple Store in fashion valley around noon on Friday. My wife got a new iPad, it was crowded but no lines and they said they had plenty of all models in stock at that time.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Great points Shmoov and I agree with you. I was never an Apple fan until about 3 years ago when I switched over to a Mac and I'll NEVER go back to PC. Amazing products. It's really amazing to see how much technology has changed since we were all kids. Makes me wonder what things will be like in 20 years and what will be available then. Some of this stuff coming out now is mind blowing.

I've had a chance to play with the Ipad 3 and the picture quality is better, sound seems a little better, and it's a little bit faster. But I still say those that have the Ipad 2 should wait to upgrade. But man I do love my Ipad. So convenient.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM

7,060 posts, read 17,423,202 times
Nice device. Wife and I have 2's. Buying the new mbp when they refresh the line this year, will be air-like. Owned many windows, Macs, Linux boxen and you just can't beat the iOS/ Mac so x ecosystem these days.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Nice device. Wife and I have 2's. Buying the new mbp when they refresh the line this year, will be air-like. Owned many windows, Macs, Linux boxen and you just can't beat the iOS/ Mac so x ecosystem these days.
Hey Sassberto. I have a MBP and LOVE it. What I love so much about Macs is they never crash. I had a $4,500 Sony laptop before this Mac Book Pro and it would crash all the time. Same with my wife's Windows laptop.

What I love about Macs is they are faster, more stable and more secure and mine has never crashed.

I get a laugh thinking back to all my friends that told me to switch over a decade ago telling me that Mac will dominate. I just laughed at them and told them they were nuts. Boy, was I wrong.

My biggest mistake was not buying more Apple stock once I started using using their products. I started buying the stock 3 years ago once I discovered how great their products are. I thought I had missed the boat buying around $132 a share. Hard to believe in 3 short years and the stock is over $600/share.

I wish I didn't sell some at $500 when I thought it couldn't keep going up. And now they announced a dividend. Amazing what they have done in the past few decades. There was a while when they were on their death bed....

Nothing wrong with my current MBP, but like you...I think I can't resist a new one and I'll give my wife mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: