Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulterdog View Post
I was actually looking at moving somewhere downtown in a highrise, thats more my thing I find. I like the urban environment and the ability to walk to many various places and be "where its at" persay.

I would be aiming for the city college downtown. I really didn't want to move to Burbank, only moved here because I already had friends here and now I don't, partially my fault for not being a very social person. I used to live up in Bellevue across from Seattle and I made a ton of friends who worked at Microsoft, I was just hoping to gain a little bit of my youth by moving to Burbank. I think San Diego would be a better fit for me, I'm sort of a geek / business scrawny white kid, think that'll work in downtown? I'm not at all a party/frat/college person and heavily introverted and hoping to put myself in the position where I have to meet people by being downtown.

I'd hope to find some groups on meetup.com and hopefully maybe meet some other people my age even in just the elevator of all places.
San Diego 'downtown' is not where it's at. Downtown just gentrified in the last decade plus, and downtown consists of a few clubs, some restaurants and alot of tourists. If you want a true urban experience, i'd go for a different city like chicago or maybe SFO. Otherwise, north park is more 'happening' than downtown SD. Though you can also look at Little Italy [terrific farmer's market-the best in the the city IMO] and Mission Hills. Great urban areas-LI has some highrises/lofts.

SD is spread out just like LA-it's a series of areas. But, SD is far better kept up, not as outdated 50's like you mentioned. And, not as industrial looking, more varied topography, etc. in SD. More beaches with easier access, easier access to outdoors, as mentioned by others, than in LA. SD has 1.5 million in the city proper, vs. 4 million in LA proper. You won't find as many great restaurants and i'ts not as cosompolitan as LA. But, SD is a great place for a 20 something, if you find the right neighborhood/lifestyle.

It's a bit sleepy/conservative/casual, as mentioned by others. But there's definitely stuff to do to keep you busy. It's not that big of a move, really-only 2 hours away-easy to come look at housing options and areas before you move, at least once if not several times! why not?!?

ps-I agree SD has alot of potholes; the city is not great on priorities, honestly. But it's not as bad as LA, which feels almost 3rd world to me, every time I go [increasingly so over the years]. LA has great aspects, just sayin'-it's almost 3rd world these days in many respects. But the traffic is very mellow relative to LA and other large metro areas. 'Geeky white guys' are spread throughout SD-lol. UCSD is in UTC area; lots of highrise condos and apartments there, with a range of college type folks, along with qual comm techie types/folks from around the world. You might check that area, as well.

It sounds like you might prefer Oakland or Berkeley in terms of urban and walking and meeting people type of lifestyle, though.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-29-2012 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 10,659 times
Hey VaulterDog, I'm glad I stumbled upon this. I recently just turned 22 myself earlier this month AND have also been living in LA for about 2 years now.

I'm from the East coast and I'm completely done with LA myself. I can't take having to plan my day around when a good time to avoid traffic is anymore and the "thick" polluted air of this "city" is absolutely awful for running in.

I'm not much of a partier, more of a video gamer and stickler for avoiding night life and instead would rather get some friends over and play board games or what-not. I'm also sick of feeling so under-dressed just going outside of my house in a tee to get dinner or something. Everyone here thinks there's a camera following them around.

As of right now im wrestling with the idea of either moving back to Boston or going to San Diego. I'm off to an interview in Boston this week coming up but maybe we could go check out San Diego sometime soon?

Moderator cut: cut personal email

Last edited by thepinksquid; 03-30-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: No personal email addresses in posts

Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 AM

396 posts, read 925,740 times
Honestly, burbank is not LA. If you lived in Venice or Santa Monica or even Hollywood, you wouldn't feel so bored. Burbank is to LA like Poway is to San Diego.

I'll probably offend a bunch of people but San Diego natives are kind of weird... they are experts at ending conversations and they generally flake out of many things. All of the people that I met down here that I consider friends aren't from here. Everytime I meet someone cool and friendly, I know they aren't from San Diego.

I lived in LA for a few weeks (long story) but had to leave. I met a bunch of cool people that are native angelinos. Move out of Burbank and into a nicer area in west LA and your tune will change. How about attending Santa Monica Community college then maybe transfer to LMU or something? (I loved LMU)

Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 AM

35 posts, read 67,718 times
You never need a good reason to move out of LA. LA sucks, as you've discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego