Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 PM

1,443 posts, read 1,567,042 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I love it here in San Diego and have lived here for a few years but the problem is that I cannot afford to buy a decent home here. Anyways I am looking into a city that has similar qualities but affordable home prices. Would a place like Tampa or Miami be a good place to live and buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 03:17 PM

34 posts, read 71,905 times
Tampa is too hot, humid, and has frequent afternoon thunrderstorms int he summer months to make it similar. I thought of areas in the Sun Belt states like Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida. I'd list Sacramento as a less expensive affordable option by far with almost similar climate conditions than any other city that I can think of.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Sacramento

Thanks- I actually lived in Sacramento for 10 years. You are 100% right about Tampa. It is wicked humid!!! I found Sacramento rains a lot and very hot in summer. Boring city to live in as well.

I think that San Diego will actually be affordable to buy a home in a few years with the mortgage subprime meltdown underway. So I am saving and will see what happens.

I have looked at Dallas but the bad news on bugs like massive sized roaches, spiders and mosquitos scared me away as did the bad weather. Houses are cheap though!

I am still looking at other places in Florida that dont suffer from humid weather and giant sized bugs but a tough one. Miami would be a fun city with great nightlife on the ocean but then again very expensive.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM

78 posts, read 263,565 times
Default Forget Texas!

We lived in Los Angeles for 19 years and currently reside in Houston. Just forget about Texas overall! It's HUMID,BORING,full of giant bugs,has flash floods, culture is backwards, but if you are looking for cheaper and bigger houses,low cost of living, great food and friendly people, you can try it.
We loved Charlotte, N.C. and I can strongly recommend it even though it gets a little cooler in winter but not too bad. In my case, there were not enough jobs in my field.
We also will check out Tampa but I fear it has the same weather like Houston, giant insects and on top of that alligators, hurricanes, bad drivers, sexual offenders,high crime, bad schools, high prices,bad salaries...so you choose.
There is no place like San Diego and just like you, we are waiting out the mortgage meltdown for a few years while renting cheaply in Houston.
Good luck

Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 82,571 times
I lived in Portland OR for a year and, while it rained a lot, the weather was great. Not too hot and not as cold as some areas in the SE during the winter. You can live a little out of Portland for less. I have a friend in Wilsonville who loves it. Seattle also has great weather.

Good luck finding what you want!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Thanks

I have a year left on my lease to decide whether to stay or move out of San Diego. I love the weather and beaches here but want to buy a home.

Prices dropped 8% this year and will drop more with the subprime mess. I am keeping my fingers crossed and patiently saving. I've also considered places like Vegas, Phoenix and Miami. Sacramento is not bad but kinda boring.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Have you tried Murrieta, Temecula, Sun City? They're a little further inland (north of San Diego County) but a they're pretty affordable for SoCal. If you want to stay in the general San Diego region, there's always Tijuana.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Tijuana, are you kidding me? That is a cesspool and disgusting place.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Tijuana, are you kidding me? That is a cesspool and disgusting place.
I was kidding.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:18 AM

17 posts, read 93,121 times
If you want green & affordable housing with fairly mild weather check out Charlotte.
You will have a winter, but it rarely snows. Summer can get toasty (this one's unusually hot). Housing in this area is still affordable. Something in every price range...
You might like the uptown (downtown) area & the fact that you can live close to water (lakes).

South Park & some areas such as Myers park are pricey,
but you can go to Bellmont, Huntersville or other areas & get yourself a nice property.

Raliegh Durham's ok too... little colder though.

Seattle's nice, if you don't mind the overcast days, rain & chilly weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego