U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 PM

6 posts, read 20,051 times

Advertisements

Hello i've gone through this forum and read some interesting topics about San Diego and read some good/bad reviews. I guess I just want some advice. Im a 22 year old living on the east coast all my life and I absolutely hate it here, I work 2 jobs and I go to school, Right now I feel that since I already support myself and do just fine why don't I just relocate to a different place? and I was thinking San Diego or LA. My goal is to have money saved up and hopefully transfer with both the jobs I already have, hopefully I can move either Jan 2013 or Feb 2013. I just want to know how do you start planning a big move like this? and how do you go about meeting people from those areas? I also want to know where do all the young people in there 20's live at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,529,219 times
Well, asking here is a good start at planning a big move like this. You're at a good age to take a chance like this. And you're already careful enough to be sure you'll have job(s) here.

Do think about this ... your economic situation won't be any easier here than back there. It might even be a bit worse. If that's what you're hating, then it won't help to move here.

If you won't be done with school before you want to come out here, do some planning about school. It'll take about a year for you to acquire California residency, and out-of-state tuition is quite expensive!

Some people seem to have trouble meeting people here, but other's don't. I think that's, really, mostly about individuals than about 'people here'.

As a young person, think about the central neighborhoods of San Diego over the suburbs. Someone else will likely jump in with neighborhood suggestions. (I'm an old, living in a suburb, so I don't know much more detail about it.) It'll help if you can provide us with a budget range, and describe the sort of neighborhood you like.

Good luck to you, and continue planning. I wound up here after growing up in Chicago. Though I liked Chicago, I've never regretted planting myself here.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 PM

396 posts, read 796,701 times
OP, here is an observation that I've made about my life: I don't regret the things I did, only the things I did not.

at 22, you should be taking big chances... because you won't be able to later.

And while you are here, do it up right. Live by the beach. That is all.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Well, asking here is a good start at planning a big move like this. You're at a good age to take a chance like this. And you're already careful enough to be sure you'll have job(s) here.

Do think about this ... your economic situation won't be any easier here than back there. It might even be a bit worse. If that's what you're hating, then it won't help to move here.

If you won't be done with school before you want to come out here, do some planning about school. It'll take about a year for you to acquire California residency, and out-of-state tuition is quite expensive!

Some people seem to have trouble meeting people here, but other's don't. I think that's, really, mostly about individuals than about 'people here'.

As a young person, think about the central neighborhoods of San Diego over the suburbs. Someone else will likely jump in with neighborhood suggestions. (I'm an old, living in a suburb, so I don't know much more detail about it.) It'll help if you can provide us with a budget range, and describe the sort of neighborhood you like.

Good luck to you, and continue planning. I wound up here after growing up in Chicago. Though I liked Chicago, I've never regretted planting myself here.
Thank you, and I make sure I plan carefully, I def wouldn't do a move like this without planning, I've been reading through this forum for a while but finally decided to make a post. And it's not about my economic situation at all, im just not happy with the place im at right now,I never got used to the lifestyle here, I come from a city and moved to a quiet town, been living here for almost 2 years, and yes everything is cheaper and I have my own apartment but it's not worth it if im not happy. I know how expensive Cali is and I know the same price im paying right now to live by myself, I would probably be paying that living with 2 or 3 roomates but im ok with that.

And with school Im gonna try and do 2 semesters right now so when I move to Cali I can take a year off to focus on making money and see if I like it enough to live there permanently. My plan is to give San Diego 6 months. If everything works out i'll stay and start school in a year. If it doesn't work out i'll simply move back to my hometown and live with a friend and continue school.

See with the Budget range im not so sure. I was thinking of living with roommates and pay $600 for rent, I'll probably need help in this area. And I would like to live to a place close to the beach and not to far from everything. Defiantly don't want to be in a bad area either. And im glad you liked San Diego and Thank for your reply ^^

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
OP, here is an observation that I've made about my life: I don't regret the things I did, only the things I did not.

at 22, you should be taking big chances... because you won't be able to later.

And while you are here, do it up right. Live by the beach. That is all.

Haha Thank you and I agree, i've been thinking about this for a year now, but always stopped myself since I kept thinking of my responsibilities, But now I don't care I wanna do something that makes me happy, and if it doesn't work out at least tell myself I did something I always wanted to do and have that experience.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 AM

12 posts, read 47,231 times
Hi there, I read this post because my spouse and I left San Diego last year after growing up there, getting educated, buying a home and raising a family. I'm a SoCal native, so this was especially hard for me. The reasons we left are all something that you should keep in mind: Massive population increase leading to ridiculous housing prices (including rents), lack of open green space, terrible traffic at all times of day and into the nights and weekends; extremely difficult job market..along this line, being bi-lingual is nearly a necessity; greatly increased gang activity in many areas and all that goes with it...drive-bys, loud music at all hours, daytime drug deals, graffiti, staredowns; very hot, dry weather with a lot of air pollution...remember that San Diego is semi-desert and all water is purchased elsewhere and very expensive and getting more so; everything is very expensive, from groceries to gasoline; there is increasing disparity between rich and poor with not much in between; that laid back, relaxed atmosphere is long over, replaced by hurry hurry hurry, aggression, hostility and rudeness.

That said, if you look at your move as an adventure and have a backup plan, you should definitely try it, and you should definitely live at the beach for the true San Diego experience. Try Mission Beach or Ocean Beach in San Diego or Imperial Beach to the south, Encinitas to the north. Bring a lot of money as it may take awhile to find work and be prepared for sticker shock on rent, utilities, food, gas, car insurance and taxes. And you will need a car as public transportation will not take you everywhere you want or need to go.

And while you are there, get out of San Diego and see some other incredible areas like the Anza Borrego Desert. Good luck and I hope you post back with your experiences!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 AM

35 posts, read 58,058 times
First of all, whatever you do, DO NOT move to LA! LA is a complete cesspool. I don't know anyone who lives in SD who doesn't absolutely hate having to go up to LA. The traffic there is probably the worst in the entire country. You have traffic jams on the weekends! Everyone drives super aggressively, and you're lucky if you have only one near accident whenever you spend a few days up in LA. The place is a sprawling concrete jungle that never ends. Getting 15 miles from inland to the beach can take you an hour!

LA is just about the last place in the developed world I'd choose to live.The place seriously sucks, and you'll be doing yourself a favor by moving to SD rather than LA. You can still visit LA from SD whenever you've gathered up the nerve to brave that hell hole!

As far as living at the beach, I think you're getting some bad advice here. I think moving to SD and living near the beach is a really bad idea. You're going to be paying out your ass for rent, and that is really stupid when it might take some time to get on your feet. Also, what the other posters are not telling you is most of the beach areas are pretty trashy. I'm not talking about them being a ghetto by any means, nor are they even the worst part of town, but they're not the greatest either. Not to mention there's the whole beach culture of drunken partying, so that had better be what you're after.

For what it's worth, the majority of people in San Diego don't live near the beach. But no matter where you are in the greater SD area, you're only about 20-30 minutes from the beach. Even if you were to go to the beach every single day (doubtful), you'd still be able to do so regardless of where you live. Visiting the beach is not going to be a problem.

If you want to live at the beach, then do it after you get established here, and after you scope out the beach areas and rents and see if that's what you really want.

In terms of rents what you need to expect is at least around $600 for a studio, $800 for a one bedroom, or $1000 for a two bedroom. You might be able to find something a little cheaper, but only if the place is a real dump. The further east you go, the cheaper the rents become. The closer to downtown you are, the higher the rents tend to be, with the exception of some places like City Heights which are a bit more marginal.

If you want to live with people around your age, I'd suggest looking in the SDSU college area, or maybe North Park. Really though there are people of all ages in all parts of SD. Obviously most younger people will be in apartments, rather than in established houses, unless they are living with their parents.

I'm not sure what your jobs are that you think you can transfer, but if I were you I'd make my decision of where to live based on proximity to your place of employment. That's where you're going to be driving the vast majority of time, and if you work normal 8-5 hours it's also when you're going to experience the most traffic. For weekend recreation you can get anywhere in SD pretty fast, and unlike LA we don't have any traffic jams on the weekends (or even outside of rush hour during the week), with the rare exception of if there's an accident.

Last edited by AsakSD; 04-01-2012 at 04:45 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 AM

35 posts, read 58,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittie View Post
Hi there, I read this post because my spouse and I left San Diego last year after growing up there, getting educated, buying a home and raising a family. I'm a SoCal native, so this was especially hard for me. The reasons we left are all something that you should keep in mind: Massive population increase leading to ridiculous housing prices (including rents), lack of open green space, terrible traffic at all times of day and into the nights and weekends; extremely difficult job market..along this line, being bi-lingual is nearly a necessity; greatly increased gang activity in many areas and all that goes with it...drive-bys, loud music at all hours, daytime drug deals, graffiti, staredowns; very hot, dry weather with a lot of air pollution...remember that San Diego is semi-desert and all water is purchased elsewhere and very expensive and getting more so; everything is very expensive, from groceries to gasoline; there is increasing disparity between rich and poor with not much in between; that laid back, relaxed atmosphere is long over, replaced by hurry hurry hurry, aggression, hostility and rudeness.
I have to disagree with a lot of this. I don't know where you lived in SD, but there is not "traffic at all times of day or night". There's hardly any traffic at night (close to none in the middle of the night), and even during the middle of the day the traffic is not bad at all. Are you sure you didn't live in NY and get confused what coast you were on?

San Diego definitely isn't perfect, but there are few areas that have problems with gangs or violent crime. That's definitely only in certain areas of the city where you have gangs and drive-bys.

"Laid back, relaxed atmosphere" probably never existed. People are people wherever you are.

The reason rents are so high is people would rather live in SD than Phoenix, AZ or Houston, TXs. Sure you can rent an apartment in Phoenix for $400-$500 a month, but then you're in Phoeniz, AZ! Maybe SD isn't that great, but there are a lot of places that are clearly worse.

In my experience traveling the country and the world, this is definitely true. I don't think SD is the greatest place in the world at all, but there are plenty of places that are a lot worse!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM

12 posts, read 47,231 times
I beg to differ with the previous posters. I lived in San Diego and its suburbs from 1978 to 2010 and got my graduate degree from San Diego State. I also lived in both the college area and North Park. The former was overcrowded, overpriced and crime-ridden...burglaries, car breakins, sexual assault, loud parties. North Park was nice until pretty old homes were torn down and replaced with high density, overcrowded, overpriced apts and condos. Also a lot of crime. Oh, I forgot.. It 's "cool" there now because there are a couple of coffee houses and boutiques.

Also if you read it the OP wants to live at or near the beach. If he is going to make the move he should live where he wants. San Diego has nothing to differentiate itself from any other large, expensive, overrated city EXCEPT the beach. Also, regarding the post about traffic...do you work or ever leave your home? If you did you would see the neverending traffic and did you ever notice that I-15 looks like a runway.

And oh yes San Diego was relaxed and friendly and beautiful...that ended when it became "Los Angeles-ized. Oh, by the way I lived in L.A. also...care to discuss that?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:56 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,529,219 times
I think people tend to focus on what they experience as extreme, whether it's good or bad. Using traffic as an example - if traffic, in your experience, has become much worse in San Diego then you'll think San Diego has terrible traffic. If you move here from, say, LA or Chicago you'll think San Diego has reasonable rush-hour traffic and light traffic for most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or