Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 46,873 times

Advertisements

Damm, just like the sayin goes. "You get what you pay for" looks like i will just plan on paying more for my piece of mind and worry less about being so close to the water. I'm still in SD, beach isn't that far. Better than where i am at now> (AZ)... Thanks everyone for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM

10 posts, read 63,068 times
IB can be all right away from the beach. Lots of Navy people from North Island living there, but it isn't too bad. Expect a lot of Tijuana visitors, too.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 47,233 times
Imperial Beach (IB) has a bad reputation, but it's in no way warranted. In the last 10-20 years, it has undergone some serious changes which have made it the safest area to live. If you need official proof, go to the link below and compare any zipcode in San Diego (or national for that matter!) and compare the crime rate.

IB's zipcode is 91932.

[URL="http://www.moving.com/Find_a_Place/Compare2Cities"]Compare Two Cities, City Profile Report, City Comparison Tool[/URL]

IB is 5 times as safe as the elite Coronado zipcode, where you have to have make $300K+/yr to afford anything with a small view of the ocean. I suggest you visit IB for longer than a few hours and meet some of the locals. Yes, many of them are older and a lot of them surf, but that's what makes this such a great place to live! Stay close to Seacoast Dr. and you'll never be happier. It's a VERY safe place that everyone thinks is still stuck in it's old surf/biker town days of 20-30 years ago. Most people don't realize it's a diamond in the rough.

But saying this, it's actually cool that the prices have stayed so low. My bedroom opens to the sand/ocean, and I pay less than $1000/month for my condo. AND I actually know all of my neighbors, have everything within walking distance, and have made some great friends. Plus I don't have to deal with tourists and lousy parking! I get the same parking spot every day and only see aout 50 people walk the beaches during this time of the year. Best bang for the buck in the country. No question...

I'm watching waves as I type this on my oceanfront patio. This is the life!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:20 PM

17 posts, read 48,756 times
You really need to check out the school district wherever you go. Check out greatschools.net and look up the areas you are thinking about. I was born and raised here and I would send my kids to schools in the areas you mentioned. PB would be the better but it is still very college.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 PM

181 posts, read 891,860 times
If you are looking for a neighborhood thats more geared towards kids or family life...I think I might look elsewhere. It would all depend on how much you want to spend and how far you are willing to commute. But you know...everyone has a diff. opinion, so you really need to check it out for yourself I guess.

Last edited by cnkad; 01-06-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 PM

181 posts, read 891,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneya_b View Post
Imperial Beach (IB) has a bad reputation, but it's in no way warranted. In the last 10-20 years, it has undergone some serious changes which have made it the safest area to live. If you need official proof, go to the link below and compare any zipcode in San Diego (or national for that matter!) and compare the crime rate.

IB's zipcode is 91932.

Compare Two Cities, City Profile Report, City Comparison Tool

IB is 5 times as safe as the elite Coronado zipcode, where you have to have make $300K+/yr to afford anything with a small view of the ocean. I suggest you visit IB for longer than a few hours and meet some of the locals. Yes, many of them are older and a lot of them surf, but that's what makes this such a great place to live! Stay close to Seacoast Dr. and you'll never be happier. It's a VERY safe place that everyone thinks is still stuck in it's old surf/biker town days of 20-30 years ago. Most people don't realize it's a diamond in the rough.

But saying this, it's actually cool that the prices have stayed so low. My bedroom opens to the sand/ocean, and I pay less than $1000/month for my condo. AND I actually know all of my neighbors, have everything within walking distance, and have made some great friends. Plus I don't have to deal with tourists and lousy parking! I get the same parking spot every day and only see aout 50 people walk the beaches during this time of the year. Best bang for the buck in the country. No question...

I'm watching waves as I type this on my oceanfront patio. This is the life!

wow I didnt know that their was so much improvements going on in IB, that is great to know..I'll have to check it out one of these days.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,411,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
You need to marry your girlfriend ASAP so your daughter won't be illegitimate. That is a disgrace and is considered low class in Imperial Beach, California. Make a good impression and fit in. Good Luck.
Ummmm....try to disregard the post above I'd say , none of there business about your family status.

But as far as Imperial Beach in my opinion is that its a cool place to play on the beach with the kids , but I wouldn't take a chance swimming there since the water quality isn't so great most of the time.

Its a shame that the water is that way too, I lived in Chula Vista and Imperial Beach was a short drive for me to a beach. Plus Imperial Beach has a certain charm to it, but as a father I wouldn't buy or rent there mostly because the schools in the area aren't great at all.

We would make the drive to Coronado to go swimming, but if you and your family are looking for a nice community with a short drive to downtown and beaches take a look at East Chula Vista. Now I'm bias a about Chula Vista as most on here know, but the wife and I loved the Eastlake area of Chula Vista. There are great schools and safe , safe neighborhoods to live in. Just my opinion and hope you and your family find a nice place to settle down in San Diego wherever you decide to live.

ps. if you look in the Images of San Diego thread at the top of this forum and click on the last page and look back I posted some pictures of Imperial Beach before I left for Maryland....maybe I can post the link....

Images of San Diego

Yeah here it is....hope this helps....goodluck...bunky

Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,405 times
I've been on an extended visit with my Dad, who lives in South Bay. I grew tired of the long drive to my usual haunt for beach walks, Mission Beach. My Dad suggested I try Imperial Beach. I was nervous at first, because of its prior reputation.

The beach was lovely, very clean and well-maintained, and I've yet to see a beach closed/pollution sign. There were families using the beach, including military folks. I've yet to see an obvious gang member. I've walked alone during daylight hours, including visiting local stores and restaurants, and haven't been the slightest bit uncomfortable. The area closer to the ocean seems better kept up than the area closer to the 5 freeway.

If you aren't happy with the local schools, there are many options in San Diego for charter schools and open enrollment.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Kind of pricey but Montessori (sp) is where mine went for the first few years.

I would ditch any beach area for raising kids due the crime and transients. About anywhere 2 miles in is much more family friendly and just a short hop to grab some waves or hang out.

Just don't crash my break BRA

shaka

Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 PM

37 posts, read 133,333 times
My take from when I lived there back in 1999~2001.

Imperial Beach is sorta like the blue collar beach. Sort of a tougher crowd and sketchy people.

Ocean Beach is a stoners/hippy beach with a good tourist crowd.

Pac Beach is the college hangout beach. Lots of youth.

La Jolla is the money beach. More pretty than anything and where tourists go to find Sea Lions.

Del mar is a bit like La Jolla but more family oriented.

Unfortunately, I didn't spend much time in Cardiff by the Sea, Carlsbad or Oceanside, which are further up the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego