U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM

4,432 posts, read 4,016,683 times

Advertisements

The AAA buying service works differently. They will give you the price for the car you're interested in. Then you go to any (I think) of the dealerships with which they have established a relationship for the buying service, and that dealership is supposed to honor the price right away.

It doesn't always happen, and at least one dealership lost our business by trying to play games with the AAA price (Toyota of Poway). We have used the AAA service to buy a Honda from Hoehn and a Mazda from Mazda of Escondido, with good experiences at both those dealerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,182,969 times
Also keep in mind many of the higher end or luxury automakers don't participate in this Costco program. I talked to my good friend that works at an Audi dealership and he told me that they dropped out of this program a few years ago.

He said several of the luxury dealerships and carmakers don't participate with this Costco program.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM

6,540 posts, read 14,856,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
GAP insurance covers the initial depreciation during the first few months you own the car. Some friends of mine bought a new car and were run off the highway by a semi truck two months later and their car was totalled. The insurance company would only pay out the current value of the car, which in their case was $3,000 less than the the purchase price, so they had less money available to buy a replacement.
GAP insurance does more than that.
Years down the line when you owe more than the bluebook worth. If the vehicle is totaled or stolen you may owe the bank more than the insurance paid off on the vehicle. GAP covers that difference.

In 1998 I totaled my Chevy van. Allstate paid off my loan, but I had to write a check for $1500 for the difference.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,339,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
He said several of the luxury dealerships and carmakers don't participate with this Costco program.
That's because they don't need to. If you're selling cars and telling people, well, pay a deposit and three or four months later you'll get your car, then there's no need to participate.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM

393 posts, read 337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
we need to buy a car soon and would love to avoid the game playing at the dealers as much as possible. i understand the costco system mitigates that a bit, yes?
When we bought our used truck we used Costco price as the starting point, save greatly, 5k off orig price, includes add'l 1k off Costco price.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,182,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
That's because they don't need to. If you're selling cars and telling people, well, pay a deposit and three or four months later you'll get your car, then there's no need to participate.

Actually the luxury dealers do need to participate in these types of programs. They do participate and pay companies like Edmunds.com and several others to participate. It's just that many don't with Costco as they said that it seems to diminish the brand name as opposed to other companies with "Costco". Most people don't realize it but dealerships have to pay all of these companies, including Costco to participate in their programs. They do with many other companies.

I'm just surprised anyone tries to buy a car the traditional way without a service like Edmunds these days. It's so simple buying a car using one of these free websites.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 04-19-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM

959 posts, read 992,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
GAP insurance does more than that.
Years down the line when you owe more than the bluebook worth. If the vehicle is totaled or stolen you may owe the bank more than the insurance paid off on the vehicle. GAP covers that difference.

In 1998 I totaled my Chevy van. Allstate paid off my loan, but I had to write a check for $1500 for the difference.
Thanks for the addition. I wasn't thinking of the back end of the car's life.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM

13 posts, read 10,433 times
I am very familiar with the Costco auto program. The program includes just about every major manufacturer, excluding exotic brands like ferrarri, Lotus etc. The trick is that not every dealership particiaptes so it may be difficult to find something in your area. The program is based in San Diego so there is a good selection to choose from around the county and CA in general. Typically the price hovers around the invoice. It does depend on supply and demand so in demand vehicles may not have as good a discount as other vehicles.

As far as pre owned vehicles go, not every dealership that does the new vehicle program does the certified pre owned program so be sure to check first.

Overall I would recommend the program to anybody looking to take the negotiating part out of looking for a car. Plus its free to use as long as your a member of Costco

Old 04-19-2012, 02:58 PM

685 posts, read 563,777 times
I was looking for a toyota avalon and costco hooked me up with a fleet sales program at the Toyota dealership in Lemon Grove.. The fleet guy quoted me a price and i took that price to almost every dealer toyota dealer in SD county and nobody could beat it. In the end Longo toyota in LA ended up beating the price by about $1,500 with an internet quote. They also shipped the car to my house for $150.

Dealing with Longo was OK, although a little convoluted in getting the car to my house. The costco fleet sales program was not bad and I would have used them if i didn't have the time to shop the price around.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM

331 posts, read 696,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip2421 View Post
I am very familiar with the Costco auto program. The program includes just about every major manufacturer, excluding exotic brands like ferrarri, Lotus etc. The trick is that not every dealership particiaptes so it may be difficult to find something in your area. The program is based in San Diego so there is a good selection to choose from around the county and CA in general. Typically the price hovers around the invoice. It does depend on supply and demand so in demand vehicles may not have as good a discount as other vehicles.

As far as pre owned vehicles go, not every dealership that does the new vehicle program does the certified pre owned program so be sure to check first.

Overall I would recommend the program to anybody looking to take the negotiating part out of looking for a car. Plus its free to use as long as your a member of Costco
Actually, I went to Costco in Carlsbad a few weeks ago, and sitting in front of the store was a Lotus Exige. It was available through the Costco auto purchase program.

Sadly, I didn't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego