U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 828 times

Advertisements

I have been admitted for PhD in UCSD and I am coming from Turkey(18 hours flight ).
I don't know much about California or even the life in the US. Even though I looked at houses for rent, I couldn't find the right one. They all seem nice in pictures, but I am not sure. So I wanted to ask:

Which neighborhoods do you recommend?
Do you recommend a close on to UCSD and travelling by bike or by walking or somewhere far from it and travel by car? I heard that there is a big parking problem, is it still the case?
Where to find a nice house for rent? Any websites or shall I get in contact in person?

By the way, I am married with no children. So we will be 2 people in total.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,070,151 times
May be similar climate here to your home country?
UTC is condo-central, either to rent or own; close to UCSD.
University City is the more family-friendly version just south of UTC with more detached homes.
Those are best if you are a PhD candidate, as North County and the City will be more of a commute of about 20 minutes which is actually not that bad in case you want to explore that.
Parking may be an issue on the UCSD campus per se but maybe you get a parking pass as a student, but overall as a city it is not a problem at all (vs. Boston, New York, ?Istanbul). There are likely shuttle buses from UTC and U. City. The weather is great for 12 months of biking here, but the roads are not really safely conductice (vs. Oregon, Minnesotat where it can be rainy and freezing). Not sure about walking between UTC/U.City and UCSD. Overall, this is not a walking/subway type of city.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM

6,949 posts, read 5,123,928 times
Prepare yourself. If you have never been to UCSD and it's area you are in for a very real shock.

It's beautiful.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,070,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Prepare yourself. If you have never been to UCSD and it's area you are in for a very real shock.

It's beautiful.
So is Turkey? Or not?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,301,408 times
Years ago UCSD Graduate Admissions had a special service for foreign students, to get them well established before the semester start. I'm sure that program is still in effect. It involved hooking up with a local volunteer host family who would help the student get a bank account established, look for a rental, get a CA driver's license if eligible, and all the little details that can be quite overwhelming. I used to know such a host family, and they took in a couple of new foreign grad students every year and helped them get settled, totally free of charge. (And then they expected getting an invitation to visit the students' home country! Which was reasonable and well deserved.) If I were you I'd contact UCSD and see if such a service is still in place. Or maybe the information is already there in your admission packet.

I have not been to Turkey, but if your towns are laid out in the European style you will be shocked at the distances between shopping centers and facilities over here. It is a car-based culture. UCSD is in a lovely location on a "mesa" (flat hilltop), but it takes a good pair of legs to walk to UTC or La Jolla Shores (another gorgeous beach location). At times the sidewalk disappears and you have to cross a busy road to get to a safer area to walk. People walk as a form of exercize or social activity, not to get from one place to another. (Unless they have no car, and that generally means poverty.)

You're about to embark on an amazing adventure. You'll have all kinds of surprises, but I predict that most of them will be positive. Have fun!

PS There are busses serving the UCSD area. If you don't mind going by bus, that could be an option.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 04-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Adding PS

Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM

6,949 posts, read 5,123,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
So is Turkey? Or not?
Can't say. Never been there. I doubt they have Whole Foods.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
So is Turkey? Or not?
Turkey is a huge tourist destination these days, especially the beaches. Sun-starved Northern Europeans come down in droves.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM

40 posts, read 76,087 times
I am a graduate student at UCSD.

I would recommend that when you are first starting here, you live in grad student housing at first. It's cheap, convenient, and would be a good transition to the US, California, and San Diego. It's very common for married couples (even with young children) to live in the Mesa or Coast apartment complexes. They are about $1100-1300/month for 2 bedrooms. If you can't get in, I'd suggest anything nearby (the "UTC area") to start off. The apartment/condo complexes in the area are well maintained and convenient, though nothing special.

The area immediately around UCSD is not very interesting if you are looking for street life or activities. For that, you'll want to move somewhere else in San Diego once you get your bearings; either the beach areas, the Balboa Park areas, or North County depending on what you're into. I didn't make such a move, and it's my biggest regret as I'm preparing to leave SD.

Parking at UCSD is a problem if you are an undergrad. Grad students have access to a different parking permit that allows more spots, and it is slightly more expensive ($81 per month). You'll *need* a car if you live far from campus. If you live close by (and can take a UCSD shuttle or MTS bus), then you don't *need* a car, but your quality of life will increase dramatically if you can one and can explore the rest of the city.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 AM

3,708 posts, read 6,931,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_citrus View Post
I am a graduate student at UCSD.

I would recommend that when you are first starting here, you live in grad student housing at first. It's cheap, convenient, and would be a good transition to the US, California, and San Diego. It's very common for married couples (even with young children) to live in the Mesa or Coast apartment complexes. They are about $1100-1300/month for 2 bedrooms. If you can't get in, I'd suggest anything nearby (the "UTC area") to start off. The apartment/condo complexes in the area are well maintained and convenient, though nothing special.

The area immediately around UCSD is not very interesting if you are looking for street life or activities. For that, you'll want to move somewhere else in San Diego once you get your bearings; either the beach areas, the Balboa Park areas, or North County depending on what you're into. I didn't make such a move, and it's my biggest regret as I'm preparing to leave SD.

Parking at UCSD is a problem if you are an undergrad. Grad students have access to a different parking permit that allows more spots, and it is slightly more expensive ($81 per month). You'll *need* a car if you live far from campus. If you live close by (and can take a UCSD shuttle or MTS bus), then you don't *need* a car, but your quality of life will increase dramatically if you can one and can explore the rest of the city.
No this is a good post!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,380,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Turkey is a huge tourist destination these days, especially the beaches. Sun-starved Northern Europeans come down in droves.
Joey, have you even been in a Turkish prison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego