Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,538 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Lancaster, Ca and my gf lives in Boise, ID. She's looking to move down with me to SD early this fall around August. Having lived in Portland, OR for 2 years, my biggest concern is parking and if parking is something that must be paid for everywhere you go within the city limits? Any insight as to how parking in general works would be great. We are hoping to live in the downtown area, and know that a parking garage is probably a must have.

My other questions were:

-How difficult is it to find work (basic retail jobs) -same as any other city in SoCal? I already have a job (online), so this question is more for my gf who currently works retail at kohl's.

-Any good/bad roommate expectations or experiences (when rooming with a local on craigslist)? Lol our budget is a mere $1200 so roommates are a must I presume. Not sure if living outside of downtown would make pricing any more affordable on our own.

-Any personal insight as to what life is like living inside and/or outside of the primary downtown area? pros and cons of this (including ease of getting around) would be greatly appreciated!

-Is there a ghetto part of san diego or any parts that you' recommend avoiding at all costs? (inside or outside of the downtown area) lol

-Are bikes a good thing to invest in when living here?

-Best parks or recreation areas for going on a jog?

-Any random tips/info that you can provide Were both definitely open minded individuals.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much in advance if you can address any one of these or all of the above!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 03:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,555,184 times
There are parking meters in some parts of San Diego, including downtown, but not everywhere. In some neighborhoods, parking is difficult simply because there are fewer spaces than people who want them.

It's at least as difficult to find basic jobs in San Diego as anywhere else in SoCal. Usual warning ... don't move here without either a job or a large fund to rely on. Can your gf transfer? We do have some Kohl's here.

There are some neighborhoods to avoid as far as renting or buying, but nothing as extreme as some larger cities have.

Bikes? Most definitely!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,967,101 times
I'd definitely say you want to stay west of the 5 if you're looking at downtown. Once you get past there, it starts to become gang territory. Now we're not talking the kind of shenanigans that goes on in say, Detroit. But living in an area where gangbangers live is not my idea of fun. It's very unlikely I'd be one of their targets, but getting caught in a crossfire between a bunch of gangbangers is not something I'd like to risk.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,645 times
Hey there,
I'm also looking at moving to SD in about July/August, but we're moving from Melbourne Australia.
My work is sending me, my wife and 2yo daughter for two years and I'm looking at renting in Mira Mesa, close to my work.
Can anyone provide some details regarding the safety of Mira Mesa area?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,555,184 times
Mira Mesa is fine. It does have some youth gangs, as do all areas of San Diego. The biggest problem they seem to cause is vandalism to cars, and stuff like that.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM

4,530 posts, read 12,349,895 times
To DavidS7, I would recommend your not living directly in Downtown. Not because Downtown isn't nice, many parts of it are, but because if you didn't live directly Downtown, you could avoid much of the parking issue, (though not necessarily all - it depends) and your $1200 budget would be more than adequate to pay for reasonable housing without having to do a roommate.

If your gf can do a Kohl's transfer and you work online, then I would have her work location guide where you live.

Also, what do you want in a neighborhood? You haven't really spelled that out.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
To DavidS7, I would recommend your not living directly in Downtown. Not because Downtown isn't nice, many parts of it are, but because if you didn't live directly Downtown, you could avoid much of the parking issue, (though not necessarily all - it depends) and your $1200 budget would be more than adequate to pay for reasonable housing without having to do a roommate.
There are several places around downtown where $1,200 will get you an apartment and a parking spot. Parking problem solved.

If you don't have a parking spot, it is a problem. I've got a lot of friends who tell me that they won't come downtown because of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post

If your gf can do a Kohl's transfer and you work online, then I would have her work location guide where you live.

Also, what do you want in a neighborhood? You haven't really spelled that out.
Thanks for the replies guys, you've been more than helpful!

Umm, as far as neighborhood goes, were definitely not too picky, but for me it really just comes down to feeling safe when you walk outside of your home and go for a walk down the street. Actually somewhere near balboa park would be nice, if it can be considered safe.

Thanks again for the feedback on the budget! BIG relief there

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There are several places around downtown where $1,200 will get you an apartment and a parking spot. Parking problem solved.

If you don't have a parking spot, it is a problem. I've got a lot of friends who tell me that they won't come downtown because of it.
Wow...yeah that does sound like parking is scarce. We will have two vehicles so now I'm thinking downtown may not be the best bet especially since I just noticed there was a kohl's somewhere near lemon grove area...ideally it would be nice to live somewhat close to that location. Thanks for the parking info!

I was looking around on craigslist and found some good possible studios for rent. Do any of you guys have experience living in a place that is about 400 square feet. I'm certainly not opposed to it as nice as it is outside

I'm sitting in a 10x10 bedroom right now, and am thinking in retrospect what 400sq-500sq would be like. We won't have a lot of baggage other than my gf's clothes and shoes Lol.. and a few odds and ends for decor.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS7 View Post
Umm, as far as neighborhood goes, were definitely not too picky, but for me it really just comes down to feeling safe when you walk outside of your home and go for a walk down the street. Actually somewhere near balboa park would be nice, if it can be considered safe.
Truth be told, even in the "bad" parts of San Diego, you are safer than in many major metro areas. There were 29 murders last year. The last time it was that low was when I was popping up in Scripps Memorial, so that number needs to be put in perspective.

But even if that's a really low number, Philly had 324 murders, or ten times as many. DC had its lowest murder total in decades as well, and there were 108 there.

Do you want to live in southeast San Diego, where you've got gangbangers running around? No. But even there, it's not like you're taking your life into your hands every single time you walk outside.

So when we say, well, there are some sketchy people hanging out in Balboa Park -- and there are -- would it be unsafe to live there?

Absolutely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS7 View Post
Wow...yeah that does sound like parking is scarce. We will have two vehicles so now I'm thinking downtown may not be the best bet especially since I just noticed there was a kohl's somewhere near lemon grove area...ideally it would be nice to live somewhat close to that location. Thanks for the parking info!

I was looking around on craigslist and found some good possible studios for rent. Do any of you guys have experience living in a place that is about 400 square feet. I'm certainly not opposed to it as nice as it is outside

I'm sitting in a 10x10 bedroom right now, and am thinking in retrospect what 400sq-500sq would be like. We won't have a lot of baggage other than my gf's clothes and shoes Lol.. and a few odds and ends for decor.
I'd do it the other way if I were you. Live in the city, work in Lemon Grove. It's not a long drive. I'd much rather live right where the things that make the city attractive are located.

A 400 square foot studio is going to be small. I've got a studio myself but I'd say it's around 600 square feet. I've got plenty of room for my stuff here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego