Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:04 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,379 times

Advertisements

I think downtown SD is starting to look fake, because many older charming buildings have gotten torn down like the old San Diego Hotel ( I loved that building), and are being replaced with new horribly bland looking modern structures. I can't understand why every new building has to have so much glass and flat textures? Combined with ugly bright, yellow,pink (uggh), blue, green pastel colors, it makes for one big giant eye sore if you ask me. I'd rather fix up the old Church hill hotel off C st. that has character, than destroy it and build some cheap characterless condo's like all the developers are doing right now in downtown. They are literally making downtown SD look blander by than minute, and seriously hurting the image of it as well.

But that is so California...we just don't care about saving old buildings, even if it isn't on the historical list, if it's blighted TEAR IT DOWN! like they say, instead we should invest in fixing them up and save whatever we have left in San Diego, because once they're gone, that's it, they are gone for good At least up in the Bay Area they care more about saving old structures which I appreciate, but in SoCal, it's like it's not hip to save an older building especially in San Diego. Just look at West of Market St. how bland and boring all those new condo towers look? Nothing interesting to look at, besides stucco plastered architecture. It's almost like living in the burbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

745 posts, read 1,567,627 times
The nearest thing to downtown Honolulu would be living in downtown San Diego somewhere near the Gaslamp. That's the primary after dark hustle and bustle area in San Diego. You will also experience vagrants etc. which I do not remember noticing in Honolulu but maybe I just didn't see them because I was a gawking tourist distracted by the city itself.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM

36 posts, read 211,657 times
Mission Valley!!! Hands down! This is where all of the young professionals seemed to live; I felt at home here. Basically, it's close to everything (downtown, malls, beaches, etc.) and you don't have to worry about being surrounded by the hustle n bustle of downtown traffic, college party animals and...did I mention downtown traffic? Also, you'll have ample space for parking. Most of the area is plush and green (I lived off of Camino de la Reina so I'm not sure about the rest of MV but everything in that area is awesome!)

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 13,260 times
Milly, its been 2 years since your post. Where did you decide to move? Was it San Francisco or San Diego? I am considering the two cities right now. My sister and I are moving to San Diego and I will be there with her for a year and I want to move to San Francisco afterwards. I am a 27 year old student and small business owner and would like to know the best place to live in both places when it comes to peace of mind and yet a fun and engaging nightlife. If anyone has any suggestions of the best areas to live I will welcome your opinion. What I have gotten from other posts are Hilcrest and Mission Valley. What do you all think?

Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
Lots of young single successful people are moving to Little Italy.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,552 times
i really want to move abroad when i leave sch, but i dont know where to choose my family live in oregon, but i want to live in, san diego - chicago (IL) or boston (MA) I belive bostons expensive, but i dont know where to live. ((any advice ??)) thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,456 times
I am planning to move to San Diego from Indiana within the next 6-12 mos. I am a single parent with an LPN degree who is anxiously (but patiently) looking forward to this move. However, many friends and fam are discouraging they say Cali is too expensive and overrated. I plan to rent an apt for about a yr. to get my feel and then make a purchase. Any advice on location etc? I was hoping to rent a 2-3 bdrm for $1200 -$1500mo.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 12,866 times
I'm a 49 yr. old woman who is fit and exercise 5 days a week and most people think I'm in between 36-43 yrs. old. I plan on moving to San Diego to start a new life after my daughter graduate from high school. My oldest child few years ago and too many sad memories were left we're living at this moment. ( I can't stay here without my daughter and believe that I will become depress. Anyway, I have a house that I need to sell so I can buy a small one-bedroom condo. I heard Mission Valley is a good location. Can anyone kindly please suggest a location where I don't have to spend over $130,000 condominium. Location is very important to me because safety and comfort are very important to me. Thank you.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,891 times
I am a 31 years old single woman, I do foster treatment car for living, and I'm planning to move to san diego, I currently live in Utah the most boring state ever. I want to move to a nice area where there is people of all ages specially in their 30s and early 40s. I will like to know about nice places to live and something affordable, close to schools and downtown. if you can give me an idea of what kinda house can i rent and for how much that will be great, my budget is btw $800 to $1200 per month. Thank for replying.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 9,891 times
I am a 31 years old single woman, I do foster treatment car for living, and I'm planning to move to san diego, I currently live in Utah the most boring state ever. I want to move to a nice area where there is people of all ages specially in their 30s and early 40s. I will like to know about nice places to live and something affordable, close to schools and downtown. if you can give me an idea of what kinda house can i rent and for how much that will be great, my budget is btw $800 to $1200 per month. Thank for replying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego