Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,254 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to San Diego (north county) from Chicago. We are looking for an area that is laid back, educated and has homes with some outdoor space ( not your typical midwestern looking suburb). We are leaning towards Catholic schools but would like to have a good district just in case. Need a usag gym for gymnastics. Activities for kids. An hr commute to airport. A trader joes always helps!

Rancho Bernardo, Bonsall?

Any advice would bE great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Bonsall is a bit farther out, distance-wise. RB might work. It's in the Poway school district, which is one of the best in the area. Additional neighborhoods in the Poway school district that will offer some outdoor space (more or less, depending on the age of the property) include Rancho Penasquitos, Santa Luz, Torrey Highlands, Carmel Mountain Ranch, and Poway itself. PUSD Boundary Maps

Any of these areas is family-friendly. There's a TJ's in CMR and another a bit further south in Mira Mesa/Scripps Ranch.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
What is your price range to buy or rent?

Oddstray's post is spot on target. You're going to LOVE San Diego. I'm originally from Chicago and certainly don't miss those brutal winters.

All those areas on oddstray's list are good. Some better than others. It all depends on what your budget is. We bought in Santaluz last year and absolutely been thrilled with the area and the development. It exceeded our wildest expectations on how great it would be. Tons of activities for the kids, big 11 acre private park plus several smaller parks, lower density than many areas (1,000 homes on almost 4,000 acres). Private walking trails and the entire development is gated and there are rolling hills so it's great to ride your bike or your kids to ride their bikes, etc. Some of the views are absolutely breathtaking.

There are some Catholic schools in the area. Carmel Valley has a few of them but you may find if you are in the San Diegito or Poway Unified School District that you may not need to send your kids to private schools. They are very good here in this District.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 PM

Default Leasing for a year or so

We are selling our house here but waiting to buy out there. We would like to lease $3600 or less. Would love to have a similiar lifestyle as to when we buy. Plus less transition for the kiddos.

What are the good catholic schools?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
What's your description of 'your typical midwestern looking suburb'? I haven't been to the midwest for decades, so I don't really know what it is that you're trying to avoid.

Any more description of you lifestyle? That might help us suggest particular neighborhoods over others ...

Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
St. Michaels, Poway K-8
St. John's, Encinitas pre-school - 8
Cathedral High School - Carmel Valley

If you search "Catholic Schools San Diego", they will all come up and you can check them out.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
St. Michaels, Poway K-8
St. John's, Encinitas pre-school - 8
Cathedral High School - Carmel Valley

If you search "Catholic Schools San Diego", they will all come up and you can check them out.
Wow those are pretty spread out. I imagine in the CHI area that Catholic Schools are closer in proximity, no?

Come to think of it, private schools (including Cathloic) dont seem to be mentioned here much at all on the boards as being good or bad as far as education is concerned. I am sure the price of real estate offsets the costs in the better school districts to warrant a jsitifed position on public school being 'enough', but for Catholic Schools the focus is more broad than academics.

I am curious how their performance is measured? Clearly public schools have these metrics available via greatschools or standardized state scoring.
Anyone?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:34 PM

We are looking for a neighborhood not a huge huge subdivision. I like the idea of a gated community. Will need space for a pool in yard and enough space to garden (3/4 to an acre).
Yes, that is our thinking towards Catholic schools. We look forward to a smallest community and would like to keep out kids in same school in this transition.

Great info. Keep it coming!

Last edited by Larabug; 04-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Keep our kids in same school

Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
The 3 that I listed are just examples...there are quie a few more.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Wow those are pretty spread out. I imagine in the CHI area that Catholic Schools are closer in proximity, no?

Come to think of it, private schools (including Cathloic) dont seem to be mentioned here much at all on the boards as being good or bad as far as education is concerned. I am sure the price of real estate offsets the costs in the better school districts to warrant a jsitifed position on public school being 'enough', but for Catholic Schools the focus is more broad than academics.

I am curious how their performance is measured? Clearly public schools have these metrics available via greatschools or standardized state scoring.
Anyone?
My kids went to St. Michael's Catholic elementary/middle school.

Nice community, but academically they are not much better than Poway Unified public schools, which are already very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego