U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,380,338 times
Default Favorite San Diego Sports Team

Hello, just visited San Diego last weekend and fell in love with it being a recent Phoenix transplant from NY. Right now, my job is stable in Phoenix and unfortunately my company doesn't have any openings in San Diego. Maybe some day. Regardless, CA taxes aside, you have a great deal going there. Moderate temps that help on utilities, diverse ecological and geographic zones in San Diego County alone and great beaches which I witnessed in Pacific Beach. Some of my buddies in PHX tell me the waves are better north of La Jolla. Regardless, have the utmost respect for your area. Which leads me to this. You've had many playoff disappointments but have won three conference titles over the years. I remember all 3. 1984 and 1998 Padres along with 1994 Chargers.

Unfortunately, all 3 of those came against very dominant teams (1984 Tigers, 1998 Yankees and 1994 49ers). I thought you were overmatched and the timing was bad since you went against 3 very dominant teams. Regardless, which of the 3 runs was your favorite?

For me, it was watching you rip the hearts out of the Cubs in 1984 thanks in part to ex Dodger Steve Garvey. Cubs fans are like Toronto Maple Leafs fans in the NHL. Haven't won squat in forever but have elitist attitudes. The original "Bill Buckner" took place in 1984 NLCS. Remember Cubs' Leon Durham ? For me, that 1984 run is the best run you have had followed by 1998 beating the Astros and Braves. The 1994 Chargers, or Steelers, were getting their tails whipped regardless so to me that Super Bowl was over before it started. Probably best chance was 1980 where you likely would of beaten Ron Jaworski's Eagles. Feel free to express your 30 years of these teams. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,673,586 times
Both the 84 and 98 Padres were great. I thought we were ripped off in game one of the 98 series when the home umpire missed a called third strike which eventually turned into a grand slam. The 94 Chargers should have never been in the super bowl. The Steelers got too cocky and lazy in the AFC championship game. Watching that super bowl was tough. I am saddened to see the state of the Padres ownership but hopefully the O'Malleys can step in and turn the franchise around. I love Petco Park. I flew in for the first opening day in 2004. I am tired of hearing about the Chargers being the best team on paper. Time for them to step up. Don't get me started on Norv Turner.

I now live in the Denver Metro area. This is truly a crazy sports town. I have fallen in love with the Avalanche. I despise the Broncos. It is fun to watch the Rockies at Coors Field. I will never give up my allegiance to the Padres and Chargers unless the Bolts move to LA. I hate everything that is LA but that was engrained in me growing up in San Diego.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,380,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Both the 84 and 98 Padres were great. I thought we were ripped off in game one of the 98 series when the home umpire missed a called third strike which eventually turned into a grand slam. The 94 Chargers should have never been in the super bowl. The Steelers got too cocky and lazy in the AFC championship game. Watching that super bowl was tough. I am saddened to see the state of the Padres ownership but hopefully the O'Malleys can step in and turn the franchise around. I love Petco Park. I flew in for the first opening day in 2004. I am tired of hearing about the Chargers being the best team on paper. Time for them to step up. Don't get me started on Norv Turner.

I now live in the Denver Metro area. This is truly a crazy sports town. I have fallen in love with the Avalanche. I despise the Broncos. It is fun to watch the Rockies at Coors Field. I will never give up my allegiance to the Padres and Chargers unless the Bolts move to LA. I hate everything that is LA but that was engrained in me growing up in San Diego.
Yeah. 2006 Chargers. That 4th quarter pick on Brady (can't remember his name), all he had to do was fall down. You'd of ran out the clock and played a Colts team you always matched up well with along with homefield advantage. Ultimately, that play which allowed NE to stay alive by giving Brady the ball back again cost Schottenheimer his job. Schottsy has had playoff ineptitude from his Browns and Chiefs years so that stigma stuck to him and they pulled the plug.

However, regardless of Turner's limitations, Rivers really gagged in that 2009 game against the Jets. No other way to put it.

I drove by Qualcomm near I 8 and 15. Are they likely moving to LA or is San Diego County figuring out a way to keep the Chargers ? I am out of touch on recent negotiations to move to an updated stadium.

As for the Padres, I think losing Kevin Towers at GM has hurt your ability to draft prospects and sign FA's. Thought you had some promise in the mid 2000's yet your team fell off the cliff after that heartbreaker to the Rockies in 2007. Unfortunately, that's how a lot of people remember Trevor Hoffman. However, Hoff should definity see Cooperstown given his stats and longevity.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Yeah. 2006 Chargers. That 4th quarter pick on Brady (can't remember his name), all he had to do was fall down. You'd of ran out the clock and played a Colts team you always matched up well with along with homefield advantage. Ultimately, that play which allowed NE to stay alive by giving Brady the ball back again cost Schottenheimer his job. Schottsy has had playoff ineptitude from his Browns and Chiefs years so that stigma stuck to him and they pulled the plug.

However, regardless of Turner's limitations, Rivers really gagged in that 2009 game against the Jets. No other way to put it.

I drove by Qualcomm near I 8 and 15. Are they likely moving to LA or is San Diego County figuring out a way to keep the Chargers ? I am out of touch on recent negotiations to move to an updated stadium.

As for the Padres, I think losing Kevin Towers at GM has hurt your ability to draft prospects and sign FA's. Thought you had some promise in the mid 2000's yet your team fell off the cliff after that heartbreaker to the Rockies in 2007. Unfortunately, that's how a lot of people remember Trevor Hoffman. However, Hoff should definity see Cooperstown given his stats and longevity.
That 2006 game left a bad taste in my mouth. That should have been our year.

Kevin Towers was a huge loss.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM

142 posts, read 247,168 times
I Love the San Diego Chargers. They are, however, like the Los Angeles Clippers of football. They have all the talent, but have some major issues in the front office, and issues on the field, which has prevented them from winning the Super Bowl. I think(if my memory serves me), 1995 was the year they played the 49ers in the Super Bowl, and got beaten...very badly. It's now 17 years later, and they still haven't been back to the big dance. I would love to see a Chargers VS. Giants Super Bowl in 2013, but I won't hold my breath.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 AM

3,855 posts, read 2,315,914 times
OP lets go over sports history in the city of Phoenix!
Lets discuss that 1999 game 7 collapse that the coyotes had against the blues.
How About Charles Barkley and Kevin Johnson(some would argue was a better back court then Michael Jordon and B.J Armstrong)Getting worked in the NBA finals in 6 games in 1993.
Whats your feelings on super bowl 43 and Santaino Holmes ripping your heart out at the end?
If you want to pat yourself on the back for 2001 world series,Go for it!
You guys played against a already defeated and very tired(September 11th)Yankees teams.

It's like someone beating up the school yard bully,then you going up to kick/hit the bully while he's on his back.
Doesn't count!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM

182 posts, read 143,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post

That 2006 game always comes to my mind and I am not even a Charger's fan. I hate to see the better team give a game away. The Chargers lot that game on more than just the pick/strip. I remember a muffed punt late and countless dropped passes.

But what sticks out most is the Pat defense doing the lights out dance on the Charger emblem after the game. Puke! Chargers were the best all around team that year. They'd have beaten the Bears in the SB.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
That 2006 game always comes to my mind and I am not even a Charger's fan. I hate to see the better team give a game away. The Chargers lot that game on more than just the pick/strip. I remember a muffed punt late and countless dropped passes.

But what sticks out most is the Pat defense doing the lights out dance on the Charger emblem after the game. Puke! Chargers were the best all around team that year. They'd have beaten the Bears in the SB.
And the head butt after a Brady incompletion that led to a first down instead of a 4th down. Chargers totally lost that game. That sickened me to see the Patriots do the lights out dance. It took me two years to get over that game, for the most part. My wife always tells me it is just a game but for some reason I have an emotional connection to it. That was a magical season because of Tomlinson's records. It should have been even more magical with a super bowl win. Sigh...

Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Watch at your own risk. This may make you sick.

Hulu - Game of the Week: 2006 Patriots at Chargers - Watch the full episode now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/124347/game-of-the-week-2006-patriots-at-chargers - broken link)

Last edited by Timmyy; 04-24-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,154,265 times
are you guys getting an MLS team? I live in DC and cheer for United. I'm moving out there next year and would like to be able to attend some soccer games
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego