Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
Well... I've changed the policy to include 1Mil in liability... increased the amount of pay out for a total loss so I'm feeling pretty good in the insurance policy... We also have a 2Mil umbrella policy.. so.. I think we're covered there..

The guy I'm renting to I've know for years.. you're all right there is always a chance of this going sideways..

We've done the credit check.. The guy and his family have lived down the street from us for a couple of years

cruitr.. thanks I've found that site a while ago... and downloaded the PDF...

Guys/Gals.. I've done my home work I just want to set a realistic price point for a deposit
Here's the rule for a security deposit:
In California, for residential tenancies, a landlord may charge up to two times the monthly rent for unfurnished and up to three times the rent for furnished dwelling rental units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
I've done my home work I just want to set a realistic price point for a deposit
My deposit was one half the monthly rent. If someone has good credit, that's what they pay around here. In other areas of the country, a month's deposit is typical.

First and last month rent is a little extreme if you ask me. If someone is that bad of a credit risk, don't rent to them.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

103 posts, read 215,920 times
Finally... thanks!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 AM

35 posts, read 67,707 times
It seems to me that one month's rent is more common for a security deposit, at least with apartment buildings.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsakSD View Post
It seems to me that one month's rent is more common for a security deposit, at least with apartment buildings.
<shrugs>

Every apartment that I looked at wanted half a month's rent for a security deposit if you had good credit. Granted, five or six places and their management companies aren't an exhaustive sample that was my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego