Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM

371 posts, read 637,439 times

Advertisements

A lot of it really is real estate people or managers trying to make an area look "good." A few years ago I saw ads for one building that was in University Heights, north of Adams and east of Park Blvd., advertised as being in "North Hillcrest."

It could be someone who has been dealing with a lot of people who have never been north of Adams Ave. I like both sides of Adams in NH, but admittedly, the south side always seems more crowded and much noisier to me. North of Adams, while crowded in some places, just seems like it has more space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM

371 posts, read 637,439 times
Shmoov_groovzd, I've seen "west Clairemont" as a sort of unofficial description that implies west of Genesee for a few years, but it was only in basic housing ads that never tried to make it into a separate entity (in other words, the main ad was for Clairemont, but the detail would say something like western Clairemont or west Clairemont).

Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
This thread should be a sticky to be looked at in 10 years. To anyone that DOESNT thing SD is changing and growing at rapid pace.

I dont know if THIS is true or not, but a friend of mine who is house hunting was excited because they submitted an offer for a house in "West Clairemont" proper. Let me tell you how excited they were that it was "west" Clairemont. I have NEVER heard of this as an official designation but it was on the MLS listing. Amusing, yeah definitely. Real? Well I guess if its in print on the MLS it must be true.

I suppose its not much different from North Mission Hills and South Mission Hills which really arent official area in any capacity.
I've seen that starting 15 years ago. What is really funny is that a lot of things in W Clairemont are labeled E or N. We like to have it called Bay Park, and the even snootier crowd have Bay Ho and they like to be called LJ East

Back in the day E had some really tweaker looking areas. Now the #$@#$ spots are either in W or N. along CL mesa dr or CL drive. I'm surprised they haven't came up with more sub-names

Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
On the East Coast, it's "What school did you go to?

In the South, it's "What CHURCH do you belong to?

In California, it's always been "Where do you live?"

Location, location, location......
Fixed it for you

Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
The two that caught my attention are:

"La Jolla" = part of San Diego

"Shelter Valley" = Earthquake Valley

Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
I lived north of Adams for many years on Collier. Not so sure how or why it's so different.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Still trying to figure out....maybe get consensus here as to what to call North of Adams. So for the sake of official-ness, what to nickname it?

NoAd or NorAd.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Still trying to figure out....maybe get consensus here as to what to call North of Adams. So for the sake of official-ness, what to nickname it?

NoAd or NorAd.
How about "Normal Heights, north of Adams Avenue".

I agree that the city council probably wouldn't want to be bothered with such a request. And, does it really matter? It seems that the real estate folks will use whatever euphemistic nicknames they think will make the sale go higher and/or faster.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
How about "Normal Heights, north of Adams Avenue".

I agree that the city council probably wouldn't want to be bothered with such a request. And, does it really matter? It seems that the real estate folks will use whatever euphemistic nicknames they think will make the sale go higher and/or faster.
Totally agree oddstray. I was being facetious

Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Apartment/house listings are always doing things like that. I've seen places listed as "University Heights" that were around 30th & Adams.. Since, you know, UH is soooooo much better than North Park. They're just trying to make things sound more attractive, and making up a name for a "neighborhood" that distinguishes it from surrounding areas is part of that. It don't mean nothin to nobody, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego