U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM

19 posts, read 14,648 times
I think its a myth that SD is one of the sunniest cities. The entire CA valley is decidedly more sunny (albeit much hotter too).

It's ranked #33 in the US in % sunshine
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...pctposrank.txt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM

2,965 posts, read 6,623,300 times
I would take two months of May Gray over two months over 100 degree temperatures any day. Frankly, I wish we could skip summer entirely and have the gray, cool overcast weather last for the next 6 months.

I fear the summer (August & September) heat and humidity. Every year I say I'll buy an air conditioner, but every year I manage to pull through without one.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 AM

17,250 posts, read 13,407,961 times
I'm working outside on the house so I don't mind it at all. Don't forget we'll get a hot spell about mid May but don't fall for it, it will last until mid June. In other words don't take the cover off the pool prematurely.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,283,501 times
And just like clockwork, the sun has come out downtown. Start out cloudy and grey, and the marine layer burns off by 10:30-11. Yep, life really sucks.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,104,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
And just like clockwork, the sun has come out downtown. Start out cloudy and grey, and the marine layer burns off by 10:30-11. Yep, life really sucks.
Oddly enough, it's still cloudy here in Escondido. But I'm stuck in the office all day anyway, so whatever.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM

You will usually see two holes in it, one for the big bay and one for MB. The water temp allows it to burn off.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You will usually see two holes in it, one for the big bay and one for MB. The water temp allows it to burn off.
True, but you also see it being thinner at the start as you head inland, and thus it often it burns off completely here while the coast stays socked in.

I always think it's weird when I'm at home (in North Park) and it's warm and sunny, but if I head West maybe as little as a mile it's socked in and drizzly. There have been mornings when you can actually SEE the edge of the fog bank just a block or two to the West as I'm leaving for work. It's kinda cool.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
True, but you also see it being thinner at the start as you head inland, and thus it often it burns off completely here while the coast stays socked in.

I always think it's weird when I'm at home (in North Park) and it's warm and sunny, but if I head West maybe as little as a mile it's socked in and drizzly. There have been mornings when you can actually SEE the edge of the fog bank just a block or two to the West as I'm leaving for work. It's kinda cool.
That's the biggest reason I moved out of PB. The haze line usually starts on the edge of the Mesa in Clairemont. My sil will be in mist and I'll be chillaxen in the pool

Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM

1,335 posts, read 974,714 times
May Gray goes all the way out to El Cajon and Lakeside a lot.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
May Gray goes all the way out to El Cajon and Lakeside a lot.
Well, yes, nobody's disputing that.

Some days it doesn't burn off at all, but if it does burn off it burns off sooner inland. Unless it's unusually thick like it's been the last few days I'd say it burns off as far West as North Park a good portion of the time, and the further East you go the clearer it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego