U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 5,422 times
Default Unique opportunity, should we take it??

My husband and I live in upstate NY, where we have a 2 family residence, own a small business, and work in restaurants as servers on the weekends. We hate the winters, and since my husband's business is almost non existant during the winter months, we often plan extended stays in warmer areas.

We have the opportunity to rent a small 1-bedroom apartment for 6 months (Nov 2012-April 2013) on Mission Beach for $800/month. It's located on San Fernando Place, just yards from the beach. The apartment itself is not in great shape, so we will have to do some cleaning and repairs.

My questions: Does anyone have opinions about living in this area? I understand that there are a lot of vacation rental places in the area. What would it be like to live there for an extended time? How hard would it be for my husband and I to get jobs as servers in the vicinity?

What would the cost of living be? The apartment would be "free" b/c we can sublet our apartment in NY for about the same price. We will bring only one car with us and a couple bikes. We are in our mid-30s, have a dog, love to be outdoors, and don't go out to bars to party or anything like that.

In your opinion, does this sound like a good opportunity? I have never been to San Diego but we are planning on visiting for 3 days in early June so we can scope it out and see if we think we will like it. I have heard a lot of good things and have it has been on my list of places to visit for a long time.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM

16,726 posts, read 12,383,756 times
In the winter? I'd go for it as I love that area. It can still get busy on the weekends. You can ride your bike everywhere in pb.

The hard part will be finding work. PB servers have a lot of "I know someone at a place" and kinda swap employees back and forth.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM

What is PB? I would assume Mission Beach would be MB??

Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM

2,632 posts, read 2,658,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinleyBear View Post
What is PB?

Pacific Beach, north of MB

I would assume Mission Beach would be MB??

Yes
answers embedded above in red

Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,382,031 times
Sounds like a great opportunity to me! As far as weather goes, the months you'll be here are the sunniest of the year. I wouldn't worry about crowds unless we happen to have a mini heatwave at the time. It's the summer months when it can get rowdy.

Here's a great live webcam of the area Mission Beach area that gives you an idea of what you are in for. Check it out on different days and time to how things look. Right now, it looks nice and peaceful.

Catamaran Resort Hotel | Web Cam

Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM

2,350 posts, read 1,818,097 times
Good advice you've been given here, but ultimately what have you got to lose? You can return to NY if you don't like it. Admittedly, I'm a rather transient soul who's lived in a dozen major cities in my lifetime... I've regretted no moves, ever. Each has been a differently wonderful experience. You've got the advantage of not being alone, which is tantamount. Go for it. If you don't like it, you can return to NY.

The best thing that can happen is you love SD & will want to move here FT. That's what happened to me. My SO will be joining me shortly (he's from upstate NY, as well)... life is good & what you make it.

Best of luck to you both. It's almost impossible to dislike SoCal.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 AM

3,169 posts, read 3,238,918 times
$800 sounds low to me...why would you want to put money into repairs on a place for a six month stay anyway? I would have somebody check this place out...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM

636 posts, read 446,394 times
Do it. I bet you never go back.....

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
$800 sounds low to me...why would you want to put money into repairs on a place for a six month stay anyway? I would have somebody check this place out...
Yeah, it's really low for a place on the beach. I am assuming apartments would normally go for a lot more?? We know the person we are subleting from and he is giving us a good deal, which is why we don't mind returning the favor and maybe do a little work on the place, nothing extensive. We have plans to be there in June to check it out...which was in my OP.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,513,819 times
I do think it will be hard to get a job. Every bartender/waitress streaming into town heads to the beach for jobs. You might try checking it out when you come in June just to get a real idea how hard it can be. We were in a place in PB not to long ago and saw people wandering in asking about jobs. Bartender said it happened all day along. As someone who put myself through college as a bartender, I know you could always get jobs if you were responsible, had 1/2 a brain, and looked pretty good-and even if you didn't have these attributes you probably still could find something somewhere, but not the most desirable places. That's not the case here from what I have heard. Now since you know someone here, maybe they can help with networking. As transitory as SD is, it is amazingly small town with regard to connections being very helpful when seeking employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego