Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM

128 posts, read 179,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
i'm wondering about surfing actually..

do people of all ages surf in San Diego or is it only younger "Surfer Dude" types?

also, do surfers get all huffy if you accidentally wander into their pissing grounds?
Granted, I don't live there, but when I visit or am on vacation there I see guys of ALL ages out there surfing. Guys changing out of their suit and tie and guys that look like they never take their wet suit off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
I'm not sure if they give lesson on skating!
Skating is definitely not as easy at it seems.
It's take a lot of hard work,practice and breaking many bones just to be ok at it!
Also learn how to fall(kinda like snowboarding)

here's tutorial

How to Skateboard - Skateboard Lessons - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTXSo...hannel&list=UL

Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM

26 posts, read 46,161 times
Whatever you do, don't get a long board or a cruiser or whatever they call those things. Those boards are fun for cruising but you cannot ollie on them which imo renders them useless. I am sure they are fun if you want to just ride down the sidewalk or slalom downhill but skateboarding gets really fun once you learn how to ollie a curb. From there, the possibilities are limitless. I am way old and I still employ the use of the ollie. If you are just learning, I would forget about the skatepark for awhile and just start riding around town on sidewalks and streets. Just riding down the sidewalk is fun when you are first learning. Get comfortable on the board. Keep an eye on traffic. Learn to push it faster, turn it, carve around and learn how to control the board. Then hit the skatepark and try pumping on the transitions. If you go to the skatepark in OB at 7 AM there will only be a few people there so that is probably the best time. When it gets crowded the groms can loose patience with newbies.

This is a great board size and shape for a beginner as it is tad wider than your standard short board - plus the Gonz is rad and dlxsf rocks:

Krooked Mark "Gonz" Gonzales Sweatpants #9 X-Large Skateboard Deck - 8.86" x 31.25" - Krooked Skateboards Decks - Warehouse Skateboards Skate Shop

These are good wheels for a beginner because they are a little softer for a smoother street ride but still fast enough and good for parks. Plus dlxsf rules and spitfire's are awesome.

Spitfire F1 Park Burners Classic Black Skateboard Wheels - 50mm 80a (Set of 4) - Spitfire Skateboards Wheels - Warehouse Skateboards Skate Shop

Don't forget to put Independent trucks on your board.

Skateboarding changed my life. Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 AM

30 posts, read 86,742 times
I used to skate a LOT in the 80s and now I'm at it again in my 40s with my son. Why sit around and watch when I can be shredding?

My advice to you at your age is be careful! If not, you could end up seriously injured. Some of my old friends have gone that route, got back into it, got hurt, and never skated again. I take it easy and just carve and grind and still get banged up.

I agree with above about not getting one of those longobard/carve skates. I don't think they are very functional. Also independent trucks! May seem minor, but very important in my view.

As for surfing, it is more difficult, but less painful. When learning, just pick an empty stretch of beach. Good waves are a precious commodity and if you go to a popular spot and get in the way, you will hear about it, despite your best intentions. Its a difficult thing for non-surfers to understand, but is the reality of the situation.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:35 AM

43 posts, read 21,365 times
Before you start, you need the right board, one that's right for your foot size.
The skateboard size for size 12 shoes that I recommend is 8.38. However, this one is pretty hard to spot these days, so the best alternative is the 8.25 deck, which is more popular with manufacturers. But if you're physically larger and aren't so sure about the first two sizes, the 8.5 shouldn't matter.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:44 AM

5,740 posts, read 4,697,306 times
It's been 10 years. I'm sure he figured it out by now.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:46 AM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
OP's 38 now, wonder if he still skates.
My 25 year old nephew who lived with us for a few months last year would skate at OB and at Lindo Lake Park in Lakeside. I also took him up to Venice Beach to skate up there and to tour the boardwalk, it was way TOO CROWDED at that skate park.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:49 AM

For beginners, stepping into the wider world of skateboarding is a daunting prospect. From choosing the right deck for my style to selecting trucks and wheels, and from learning kickflips to rock drops, there is a lot to learn. Most folks have to learn this the hard way.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:44 AM

5,932 posts, read 2,758,827 times
I wouldn't try to pick-up skateboarding in your late 20s. The grown adults that are really good have been skating since they were 10 years old. Things break when you fall and if you're out for 6-8 weeks with a broken ankle/wrist, missing work is very different than missing school. Learn to surf, take lessons, use a foam board on white water and progress from there. While surfing can be dangerous, beginners tend to not break bones learning the craft.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:46 AM

A good kid's skateboard should be of a size that allows the child plenty of space to move his feet and perform simple tricks. For a 6-year-old beginner skater, the ideal size is at least 7.5 inches wide and 28 inches long, or a “mini” skateboard. With the mini-board, even the wheels and trucks are miniaturized. This is to accommodate the deck size and make the board light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego