Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Hopefully they're saving a lot? $5K per year to an IRA, direct-depositing money from every pay check into savings, etc?
I'm not impressed if you're making $80K a year and only putting away $5K. On that kind of income, you should be putting at least ten percent of your income away in your retirement plan. And you should be saving money as well for a down payment on a house, or to purchase a car in cash when yours inevitably dies, or to cover unexpected expenses.

I see way too many people who are income rich but asset poor. And then I see a few people who are income poor but asset rich.

I know a guy who is an E4 and he bought a new Honda Civic in cash. You should have seen the salesperson's eyes when he said, okay, I'll be back with a cashier's check.

I also know a guy who's making six figures and he's barely able to make the payments on his 3 series BMW.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This makes more sense, but it would have been good for you to mention this in your other post.
I figured there was student loan debt right away when I read that post. Funny how so many other people figured she couldn't manage her money.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 PM

75 posts, read 107,968 times
Agreed. It's hard for some to grasp the concept of "save now, buy later" -- no matter their income level. Don't get me wrong, we all work hard and deserve to treat ourselves occasionally, but I see too much Jones-chasing in many neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I'm not impressed if you're making $80K a year and only putting away $5K. On that kind of income, you should be putting at least ten percent of your income away in your retirement plan. And you should be saving money as well for a down payment on a house, or to purchase a car in cash when yours inevitably dies, or to cover unexpected expenses.

I see way too many people who are income rich but asset poor. And then I see a few people who are income poor but asset rich.

I know a guy who is an E4 and he bought a new Honda Civic in cash. You should have seen the salesperson's eyes when he said, okay, I'll be back with a cashier's check.

I also know a guy who's making six figures and he's barely able to make the payments on his 3 series BMW.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 PM

64 posts, read 117,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroSamuraiSD View Post
Agreed. It's hard for some to grasp the concept of "save now, buy later" -- no matter their income level. Don't get me wrong, we all work hard and deserve to treat ourselves occasionally, but I see too much Jones-chasing in many neighborhoods.
Agreed and not to change topics, and this is such a funny little thing I've noticed..but walking around San Diego and down here in Chula Vista I have a really hard time believing EVERYONE can afford to buy and have Gucci and Louis Vuitton purses (at least $1000+ each)... I make decent money and I don't own one (maybe cause it's not my thing). But seriously. EVERYONE HAS ONE! I've seen more here than I did when living in Chicago.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 PM

75 posts, read 107,968 times
Gucci and LV are essential for those quick trips to Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JenLei~ View Post
Agreed and not to change topics, and this is such a funny little thing I've noticed..but walking around San Diego and down here in Chula Vista I have a really hard time believing EVERYONE can afford to buy and have Gucci and Louis Vuitton purses (at least $1000+ each)... I make decent money and I don't own one (maybe cause it's not my thing). But seriously. EVERYONE HAS ONE! I've seen more here than I did when living in Chicago.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Quote:
but walking around San Diego and down here in Chula Vista I have a really hard time believing EVERYONE can afford to buy and have Gucci and Louis Vuitton purses (at least $1000+ each)
"If you buy things you don't need, you'll soon sell things you need."

Warren Buffett

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
You can buy knockoffs at Kobey's for $50 and less.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 AM

Moved, that's true! Most of the time they look pretty real to me though. Maybe I should get one so I can fit in? :P j/k I'll stick to what I can find at Target!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
Hey that was a good one AfroSamuraiSD! You see the whole Joneses thing in SD no matter where you live. People that honestly don't look like they should be driving a brand new $80,000 Cadillac Escalade, are driving them.

But also many people that are broke, pick up cheaply used BMW, Mercedes, Audi's and what have you, to look like they are well off and doing well, and you know what, 99% of the time that method works!

SD's healthcare sector is strong and will continue to grow in the upcoming years, especially in nursing. So give it time and just apply and see what happens.

@JenLie, I have a ton of respect for nurses, my grandmother has been to Sharp Grossmont hospital many times over the past several years due to her having a stroke and now seizures. Every time I've gone to see her in the ER the doctors and nurses were always very caring and treated her well even under the most stressful conditions.

Sometimes I obviously would have to tell them what she wanted, or if something was bothering her since she can't talk, but overall every RN I've encountered were all very nice and helpful to any need of the patient. I just wanna say that kind of job must be brutal for a lot of you guys. Working 12 hour shifts, and having to deal with multiple patients on a daily basis.

I commend you for what you do. and all nurses for that matter.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Hey that was a good one AfroSamuraiSD! You see the whole Joneses thing in SD no matter where you live. People that honestly don't look like they should be driving a brand new $80,000 Cadillac Escalade, are driving them.

But also many people that are broke, pick up cheaply used BMW, Mercedes, Audi's and what have you, to look like they are well off and doing well, and you know what, 99% of the time that method works!

SD's healthcare sector is strong and will continue to grow in the upcoming years, especially in nursing. So give it time and just apply and see what happens.

@JenLie, I have a ton of respect for nurses, my grandmother has been to Sharp Grossmont hospital many times over the past several years due to her having a stroke and now seizures. Every time I've gone to see her in the ER the doctors and nurses were always very caring and treated her well even under the most stressful conditions.

Sometimes I obviously would have to tell them what she wanted, or if something was bothering her since she can't talk, but overall every RN I've encountered were all very nice and helpful to any need of the patient. I just wanna say that kind of job must be brutal for a lot of you guys. Working 12 hour shifts, and having to deal with multiple patients on a daily basis.

I commend you for what you do. and all nurses for that matter.
Aw thank you!! Actually... I work the stroke/neuro unit at Grossmont so it is quite possible our paths have crossed! I do night shifts. I have to say, I love my job and my coworkers make a great team. There are definitely times when it can be really difficult especially if you have complicated patients or demanding families, but there are a lot of aspects of our job that make everything worth it..watching patients get better, families who understand and appreciate what we do, and lots of other things. I hope your grandmother is doing better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego