Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM

17 posts, read 60,891 times

Advertisements

Looking at possibly locating to the San Diego area from Seattle with my partner of 11 years and our two children, ages 9 and 7. Looking at the San Marcos, Carlsbad, Encinitas area although open to Oceanside as well. Would love to hear information regarding schools and neighborhoods, and those areas that might be more open to our diverse family structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisandjay View Post
Looking at possibly locating to the San Diego area from Seattle with my partner of 11 years and our two children, ages 9 and 7. Looking at the San Marcos, Carlsbad, Encinitas area although open to Oceanside as well. Would love to hear information regarding schools and neighborhoods, and those areas that might be more open to our diverse family structure.
I would say Encinitas is the best town for you. Good schools and it is a more liberal city.

Oceanside is home to a military base and is fairly conservative. San Marcos and Carlsbad are more conservative as well.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
I'd cross Oceanside off the list. Not just because of the military and it's more conservative, but there are lots of gang issues there.

The towns you mentioned are more suburban in nature...is that what you are looking for? If you want more urban edge, then Hillcrest, Mission Hills, North Park areas would be worth checking out.,

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info. We can deal with some of the conservatism as long as it's not too radically conservative. The gang issue in Oceanside is a different story.

We'll continue to look in Encinitas, Carlsbad, and San Marcos. We realize it's the burbs, but we are considering the schools and from what we've read, the schools in San Diego aren't the best.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 PM

76 posts, read 244,235 times
Hi travisandjay!

My husband and I live in San Marcos, in San Elijo Hills. We chose the area for the schools. Here is a link to the CDE's accountability reports...http://api.cde.ca.gov/reports/page2....1=submit...put in a portion of the school's name to receive information regarding API scores.

Personally, we have no biases against choices in anybody's choices in their lifestyles. I hope, living in San Marcos, we are not in the minority.

Good luck with your move and I wish you the best to your family!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Thanks. We have been reading good things about the schools in San Elijo Hills. It seems a bit of a challenge to find great schools in an area that's affordable.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
define "affordable"

Old 05-18-2012, 01:24 PM

76 posts, read 244,235 times
travisandjay...Thanks. We have been reading good things about the schools in San Elijo Hills. It seems a bit of a challenge to find great schools in an area that's affordable.

Yes, this is the challenge. When we first started looking, a year ago, we honed in on a general area given the location between my husband's work and our family in L.A. Then I looked at API scores for the county via CDE, then started closing the circle. Our choices became VERY limited once we chose the school our girlies would be attending. We bought a house that I like, but do not love, because of the school zone boundary. We are very happy with our choice...but would have liked to have had a bit more options with our house (like a larger yard)...but I do remember that this is the sacrifice for the girl's education.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 AM

Affordable would be defined as 500k maximum, but that might be pushing the budget a bit.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks Parker. That seems to be our strategy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego