Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,561,730 times

Advertisements

i guess. no way would i pay 200k more for a house that was bought for substantially less a month prior.

doesn't seem right to me, but if that's how you want to make your living go for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,363,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
i guess. no way would i pay 200k more for a house that was bought for substantially less a month prior.

doesn't seem right to me, but if that's how you want to make your living go for it

No it wasn't a house. It was a multi-unit building that he bought off the courthouse steps with cash.

There isn't anything wrong with flipping properties as they have risk. It's not something I'd be interested in doing for a living but there are many out there doing it and it's a lot of hard work and the vast majority of people doing this are people taking risk and working very hard.

I've renovated dozens and dozens of properties in the past. I never went into a property renovation wanting to flip but I have "flipped" properties before when someone made me an unsolicited offer.

But again it's important to understand the dynamic of today's flippers. Again, most of them are going in with cash. So if they are willing to take a risk and someone is willing to pay what they are asking then it's just simple supply and demand. If they ask too much it will just sit on the market without being sold.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,012,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post

Really? Not even if there were substantial upgrades in between? The folks that I know that flip houses put a lot of work into them before they resell.

You can buy that same house for 200k less, like the flipper did, but you'd have to do all that work yourself. Some people would rather do it that way, some people would rather pay to have it done for them and not have to deal with it at all.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,363,741 times
Exactly Jenkay. Very few flippers go into a purchase thinking they will just buy it and sell it much higher later without doing any renovations/improvements. While it can happen (it's happened to me)... it's not very likely.

Most flippers have their own crew or dedicated contractors they use over and over. It's tons of work renovating a property. Mostly when I did renovations, I was putting in new hardwood flooring, renovating bathrooms and kitchens and in older buildings I was changing out all the wiring and plumbing. Definitely not easy and lots of work.

One time in one of my vacation houses I bought...I literally changed out every single thing other than the walls that were standing and the roof. Total gut job. I really loved the house but someone that was renting it offered to buy it. I said no it wasn't for sale. He said to name a price. Long story short....I don't own the house anymore.. LOL. I guess you can say I "flipped that house".

I always look at real estate as longer term investments but definitely there is a market for flippers and some of them are quite skilled at it. The ones that know what they are doing are making tremendous amounts of money at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: