Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 794,926 times

Advertisements

People who refer to SoCal's weather as "Mediterranean" certainly mean well . . .but they are doing us a bit of a disservice. Temperature wise - yes. But the big difference is the big body of water we are each next to. Pacific = cold = dry. Mediterranean = warm = HUMIDITY! Means the summers FEEL much hotter at same temp . . . but also the winters feel colder/clammier . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
People who refer to SoCal's weather as "Mediterranean" certainly mean well . . .but they are doing us a bit of a disservice. Temperature wise - yes. But the big difference is the big body of water we are each next to. Pacific = cold = dry. Mediterranean = warm = HUMIDITY! Means the summers FEEL much hotter at same temp . . . but also the winters feel colder/clammier . . .
"Mediterranean West Coast" or "Mediterranean cool summer" is actually a scientific climate classification. Besides parts of the mediterranean, we share this climate type with the Southern West facing Coasts of Australia (eucalyptus, anyone?) and the West Coast of South Africa (we're one of the few other places that can successfully grow proteas, which are native to the 'fynbos' biome, which is a product of... A West Coast Mediterranean climate).

Science!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
"Mediterranean West Coast" or "Mediterranean cool summer" is actually a scientific climate classification.
Science!
Can't be scientific . . . .not enough latin in it!!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
Can't be scientific . . . .not enough latin in it!!
He says to the girl with a minor in Meteorology and Climate science

Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM

I acknowledge and bow to superior knowledge!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM

182 posts, read 323,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
The people who get "bored" with the weather are the ones who make me laugh. We joke about how it's 65-75 year round, and how most people set their thermostats where our natural temps hit.

However, it's not all sun all the time. There are plenty of days with rain -- around 40 of them on average. That's more than ten percent of the year. So you get a little rain, a little June Gloom and May Grey, and now you're looking at around a third of the days not fitting the stereotype.

And believe me, I'll take boring over snowstorms that paralyze the city for days and thunderstorms that knock out the power when it's hazy, hot, and humid.
That's good to know. It's also the opposite of what my friend told me, who's literally lived his entire life in San Diego. He said I'll be wearing shorts all year round. I guess I'll see when I get there. Maybe it's somewhere inbetween.

In any case, "good" weather is subjective. I know people that love the snow, people that hate it. People that love Seattle's weather and have lived there for years, and people that left and said it's the worst weather on earth. My mother told me she'd not want to live in SD because she'd miss the fall/winter. She prefers the bay area, which has weather that I've heard Angelinos describe as "freezing".....yes, freezing.

It all depends on what you like.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
i was there in January and I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and shorts with flip flops during the day and was comfortable. I switched to jeans and a light jacket in the evening and was fine

Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 AM

121 posts, read 294,982 times
SD weather is desert type away from the coast, dry with little variation.

Somewhere, I do believe 4 season weather could also be great depending on how they are looked at/dealt with. Some places have pleasant 3 seasons with snowy winters...but then they do a good job of clearing snow...so life is normal.

Also, diverse weather means changing vegetation and natural scenery which could be appealing to people.

So, what is the best weather on earth is really subjective as there are other things related to it.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
If you define best as being not too hot and not too cold, my vote goes to Hawaii. While you will see rain there, it is the only place I lived where it never ever got cold and the heat was quite tolerable.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM

410 posts, read 341,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I love San Diego. I was born and raised here but the one thing that annoys me is how all the local media boosts our city because of the weather. Every single local channel does this and they talk about how perfect our weather is and how much they love it here. I agree that San Diego and California in general is better than many other states but it's just ridiculous how much they boost San Diego on the news. It's almost like the city paid them to promote it or something. Channel 9 has done this 3 times in the last hour. Ridiculous.
Well, the weather there IS awesome. Perhaps the best on the planet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego