U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,303,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Ca has the cheapest car insurance of anywhere I have been. Not sure where people are coming from where CA is expensive in comparison. Unless I go to the ethnic markets or catch produce at Sprouts on sale, I have found the food more costly here.

I totally agree with you Clevelandgal! I was very pleasantly surprised how affordable car insurance here is. Someone told me it's very expensive in California if you have tickets on your records. More expensive than other states but if your record is clean, it's quite affordable. More so than Chicago or Dallas or other cities I've been in.

Also, what you said about the grocery store is verbatim what my wife mentioned to me. She does the grocery shopping in the family and she said the same thing about it being more unless she is buying produce at Sprouts or meat/produce at Trader Joe's. We mostly go to either Ralphs, Albertsons or Von's and they are all more expensive than other cities we've been to.

We travel quite a bit around the USA each year and visit many cities and most places the grocery stores had more affordable stuff. Not to say it's crazy expensive here because I don't think it is.... just not as cheap as other cities.

On the plus side, there are great restaurants here (especially Mexican food) that is very very affordable. This city is a dream if you love Mexican food.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 AM

10 posts, read 37,211 times
Everything. I've moved out here from Colorado Springs and man I miss the rock bottom prices of life.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 AM

49 posts, read 38,439 times
Ya it doesn't sound like its going to be too bad of a shock. For multiple reasons, Louisiana is just not cheap. I moved down here in 2010 to work on the oil spill and now I want out, ASAP! I thought I was moving down here to cheap living and different scenery. Nothing is cheap and the gulf of mexico, in this area, might be the ugliest and most polluted body of water I've ever worked on...... "Oh the swamp and the bayous are sooooo pretty", thats totally crap. I will gladly pay more to get out of this sweat box. San Diego has it made in comparsion. Can't wait to be out there!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:49 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,377,557 times
You'll adapt. Taxes are higher here but it's all relative. For example, I'll be in Louisiana, you're running your A/C 24/7 right about now. I don't even have air conditioning in my apartment, and I don't need it. My power bill is around $20 a month. I'm sure yours runs into the $100 range.

If you want a good way to find out what you need to make to maintain your standard of living, check out this place. It's a great estimator.

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,724,087 times
and you may never turn your heat on. In 2010-11, we did a couple times for 15 minutes! this winter not ONCE.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:52 PM

263 posts, read 380,748 times
Quote:
Ca has the cheapest car insurance of anywhere I have been. Not sure where people are coming from where CA is expensive in comparison. Unless I go to the ethnic markets or catch produce at Sprouts on sale, I have found the food more costly here.
This is ABSOLUTELY true!

I was shocked that my car insurance doubled here in the DC area. I paid $442 for 6 months in San Diego with very good coverage ($250 deductible 100/300 or similar..can't remember specifics) but here in the DC area I pay $879 for LESS coverage. I find food to be much cheaper here in the DC area but I shop at a coop so that may factor. I don't even spend 1/2 of what I spent in San Diego. Still cannot figure that one out!

What I save in gas due to commute (much shorter commute where I live now vs. before) I pay out in car insurance. Renter's insurance was much much cheaper here in DC area as well. Maybe that's due to the property and not indicative..not sure.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM

3,217 posts, read 3,638,981 times
car registration/fees here are high and you'll also have to get your car "smogged" every two years. Another money-maker for the great state of California! That costs about $100+. Also, people here are fanatical about getting their cars washed so put down another $40+ a month

But, whatever the cost, I say get the heck out of Lousyana.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,672,738 times
Quote:
Unless I go to the ethnic markets or catch produce at Sprouts on sale, I have found the food more costly here.
On the other hand, CA does have grocery stores like Sprouts and ethnic markets all over the place, where groceries are usually cheaper and better quality than Ralphs/Vons/Safeway/etc.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 AM

17,422 posts, read 14,070,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
On the other hand, CA does have grocery stores like Sprouts and ethnic markets all over the place, where groceries are usually cheaper and better quality than Ralphs/Vons/Safeway/etc.
Any store is cheaper than the Union stores. Usually by a huge margin. I'm still scratching my head how those stores stay open.

Unless it is the only store in your area, or you don't have wheels, why would anyone volunteer for about a 30-40% markup?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,303,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Any store is cheaper than the Union stores. Usually by a huge margin. I'm still scratching my head how those stores stay open.

Unless it is the only store in your area, or you don't have wheels, why would anyone volunteer for about a 30-40% markup?
Well I can't always find everything that I like in these other stores. For example, at Trader Joes I don't find too much of a big selection of the brands I like. My wife typically does the grocery shopping. I guess I'm the type where I don't really look at prices too much when I shop. I just load up the shopping cart with things that I like.

I do the same thing in any city that we live in and it still was less. I guess that's my point.

Things just have gotten much more expensive with inflation I guess. For instance the other day I was in the store an a simple bag of Ruffles was $4.25! When did a plain regular size bag of Ruffles start costing $4.25?

For us, it doesn't have anything to do with having to drive to these other stores as much as me just liking certain food items that are from certain brands and not being able to find them in some of the less expensive stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego