Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,469 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate from Colorado to California. We have our eye on the San Diego area as they have one of the most extensive community college systems for an instructor like myself (just starting out, this is my first semester teaching).

My husband is looking to get into the biotech industry, or other similar laboratory work while I am attempting to hurdle through the extensive process of getting a teaching position there. We are moving primarily because cost of living is climbing here while the wage has risen only once in 20 years (we just made the top 10 most expensive places to live list, yikes!).

Meanwhile, the big problem is that job diversity is virtually non-existent for my husband (i.e. only 2 major companies hiring here and all a long drive from us with little to no public transportation). It is also difficult to get enough adjunct hours through multiple colleges, as we only have two community colleges in reasonable commute distance and all states are capping adjunct hours. Finally, there is next to no real culture/entertainment/nightlife really available to make dismal career futures acceptable.

If we can avoid the "why are you moving here, it stinks!" comments...because it pretty well stinks everywhere at the moment-welcome to the recession.

So we have a few questions and would appreciate any/all advice.
I am looking so far at n. and s. Escondido...is this a decent area to live for a newlywed couple in their 30s (with two cats)?
Are there areas in the same renting range (995-1300/mo) near to or in San Diego? We are looking for a large 1 bed - small 2 bed apartment, ideally in a gated community or away from large thoroughfare (for cats). We don't need to be close to the beach or anything, we are moderate living people and only need to be semi-close to public transportation to offset travel costs.
Is it a reasonable expectation to make a living wage as an adjunct there?
We have heard the biotech industry is booming and healthy there from two of our neighbors who are recent transplants...can anyone confirm/deny this?
If I am unemployed for the first few months while going through the registration process for teaching there, are there easy to get jobs (don't need a lot o money, just need enough to take some of the burden off my husband)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 PM

47 posts, read 107,263 times
Jobs are very difficult to get here..its a process of interviews and luck. And if you don't have local references or if you just moved here its even harder to find a job. I would make sure that you or your husband has secured employment before moving here.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Teaching jobs are vitually impossible to get here, whether it's with a school district or college, even community colleges.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 PM

182 posts, read 323,239 times
There aren't too many places in Cali that you will find a 2 BR in a gaited community for $1,300. I live in Sacramento in a gaited building and pay $1,000....for a studio LOL. I investigated the rents in SD quite extensively, and even in an old building in Banker's Hill I will be paying $1,300 for a 1 BR. I found a studio in a nice downtown building on Front ST, but again it was $1,200 for a studio. People from out of state usually have sticker shock, but to us it's normal.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,106 times
Advice?

Bring money. Lots of it.

I'm actually looking to move out to CO from San Diego. Can I ask what part of CO you are coming from?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
I will be very hard to find the 2 br in a gated community for 1300. You may want to get jobs before you get here because SD is very spread out, it can take 2 hours to get from one end of the county to another....or more depending on traffic. My spouse works in higher Ed and confirms that the local, and of course national trend it to hire adjunct over full time faculty. I am sure you are familiar, but the Chronicle of Higher Education is a great job resource.But if you want to come anyway, as mentioned, better come with a LOT of money to tide you over.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:46 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Roxy, the Community College system in CA is on a starvation diet; senior adjuncts who could count on being rehired semester after semester are facing fewer classes offered, or none. Ironic, since all classes are filled to capacity, but there just isn't any money to open up more classes. Even so, arrive with a CV and a local address, and submit it to all the CCs in town. You might get a couple of classes in Spring or Fall 2013, provided available part-time positions have been offered to senior adjuncts first. But making a living wage? Count on having to teach 18 units/6 classes per week, commuting between multiple campuses. That was a hard way to make a living in the past, but possible. Now it is still a hard way, but even less possible. I'm usually pretty upbeat about supporting people's dreams, but I just happen to know what you're up against.

Rumers have it that there will be a turnaround in a few years, more classes offered, more hiring. If you can stay put for another year and save money and accumulate teaching experience, you may be looking at a different situation.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 AM

Default Clarification

I should clarify some things to get more specific advice...
When I say "gated community" I do not mean houses in a suburban gated community with security and the like, I mean apartment complexes in a gated area with paths and less traffic inside (for cats) & access to things like a communal laundry etc.. This confusion is likely why some are noting that there is nothing for the price range despite my finding some 7 apartment complexes that fit this description in the area I am looking at right now alone (Escondido). I am looking for similar areas with similar price ranges to get more geographic diversity in case we find something farther south or west, etc..

Also, I am not looking for a true part-time adjunct appointment...those are not really available for people at my experience level anywhere, and certainly not here (I was only able to get one class this semester, and am likely to do little better next-as I noted, everyone is capping hours, favoring senior staff and cutting budgets). What I am looking at is picking up one to two classes at one to two colleges and to pick up some part-time hours at other places of employment (like waitressing, cooking, and sales...which I have extensive experience in).

I also do not mind commuting, and am pretty used to that reality already...quite frankly it would be nice to do it someplace with a more extensive public transportation system.

I know no one is trying to crush a dream here, but I have noticed a pattern to replies on this forum that follow grass is greener line of thought... people may be assuming that things are better inland when they statistically are not (i.e. housing is cheaper, but wages are much lower, as well and the job market in many areas-like bio-tech- is less diverse).

Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 AM

Colorado Springs. I would give you the same advice because the job market here is as stagnant as it is everywhere and with the cost of living climbing that can be a bit of a drag. I would recommend Denver to anyone wanting more job opportunities and decent housing prices. But, be aware, there is next to no culture and a pretty dismal nightlife.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxytronics View Post
... I know no one is trying to crush a dream here, but I have noticed a pattern to replies on this forum that follow grass is greener line of thought... people may be assuming that things are better inland when they statistically are not (i.e. housing is cheaper, but wages are much lower, as well and the job market in many areas-like bio-tech- is less diverse).
There are some individuals here who have the "grass is greener" idea. But most of us who warn caution are trying to correct people's notion that it's in San Diego where the grass is greener. Truth is, hard times are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego