Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM

316 posts, read 665,997 times

Advertisements

So I've been browsing through the San Diego craigslist, and I notice that many vehicles are advertised as having "expired tags". What exactly does this mean for the new owner? Is the new owner responsible for absorbing the costs of any fines/late fees incurred by the previous owner due to the expired tags?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM

76 posts, read 244,291 times
Looks like the most you would pay, if the tab is on you, is $200 plus new registration fees...

From CA DMV...Vehicle Registration and Title Information

The penalties when paying annual renewal registration fees late.

California does not offer a grace period after your vehicle's registration expiration date. Be sure to pay your renewal fees on or before the date of expiration shown on your current registration card or penalties will be due in accordance with Vehicle Code Sections 9552 - 9554. The longer you delay payment of fees, the greater the penalty amount will be.

Even though your plates display only the month and year, your registration expires on a specific day. Be sure to check the registration card for the actual day of expiration.

If you do not receive a billing notice approximately 60 days before your vehicle's registration expires, please call 1-800-777-0133 to find out what your fees are.

Use the following information to determine how renewal penalties are calculated. Penalty fees are assessed in addition to any other fees due.

How Vehicle Registration Annual Renewal Penalties are Calculated
Percentage of Vehicle License Fee + Registration Late Fee + CHP Late Fee = Total Due
If payment is late: The penalty will be the sum of: Registration
Late Fee CHP
Late Fee
1-10 days* 10% of the vehicle license fee due for that year
10% of the weight fee due for that year, if any
(For fees due between 7/1-12/31/11, this will not apply) $10.00 $10.00
11-30 days* 20% of the vehicle license fee due for that year
20% of the weight fee due for that year, if any
(For fees due between 7/1-12/31/11, this will not apply) $15.00 $15.00
31 days-1 year* 60% of the vehicle license fee due for that year
60% of the weight fee due for that year, if any $30.00 $30.00
More than 1 year-2 years 80% of the vehicle license fee due for that year
80% of the weight fee due for that year, if any $50.00 $50.00
More than 2 years 160% of the vehicle license fee due for that year
160% of the weight fee due for that year, if any $100.00 $100.00
* A Planned Non-Operation may be filed up to 90 days after the registration expiration date if the vehicle was not operated in any manner, but appropriate late penalties are due as shown above.
** For more inforamtion on Vehicle Registration and Vessell Fees: Registration fee penalty for renewal applications.

Fees due prior to January 1, 2003, are assessed penalties using the following information:

80% for more than 1 year to 2 years
160% for more than 2 years

Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
If the tags are expired, it's usually because either the vehicle didn't pass smog, or they couldn't afford to have it registered.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Yeah, it seems really shady. You can file for planned non-operation, and it's only $18 a year to do that. If you aren't registering your vehicle, I think you're doing something shady.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM

I agree. Where I live, there's a guy who has a minivan with no tags and slashed tires. He finally put a car cover over it, but all of us that live here would love to see it gone. Since it's on private property, there's nothing we can do about it.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I agree. Where I live, there's a guy who has a minivan with no tags and slashed tires. He finally put a car cover over it, but all of us that live here would love to see it gone. Since it's on private property, there's nothing we can do about it.
I think he still needs to file for planned non operation. I don't believe it's legal to have a vehicle that's not registered, whether it's being used or not.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 PM

He files for non-op every year, but it's an eyesore. Someone with a running vehicle could be using that parking space. Not me though, it's in an alley. We keep hoping that someone will tow it away.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
Looks like the most you would pay, if the tab is on you, is $200 plus new registration fees...

<snip>
Thanks. I've checked the DMV website, but I couldn't see anything that mentioned whether the new owner is responsible for any late fees or if those penalties stay with the previous owner. I'm sure the state wouldn't allow those fees to evaporate, so one or the other has to assume the liability.

ETA: Their "Contact Us" section lacks an option to electronically submit a question.

Last edited by Matt518; 06-06-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If the tags are expired, it's usually because either the vehicle didn't pass smog, or they couldn't afford to have it registered.
Yeah, those would likely be the two most common reasons, particularly the latter (and/or they couldn't afford the insurance). I've seen many advertised that have current valid smog certificates, just that the tags are expired.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Yeah, it seems really shady. You can file for planned non-operation, and it's only $18 a year to do that. If you aren't registering your vehicle, I think you're doing something shady.
I don't know that it's shady per se, maybe people just get into a financial bind and selling the vehicle is the most logical choice. I recently sold a motorcycle that had an expired plate, but only because I didn't renew it as I knew I was going to be selling it. Nothing shady, just didn't want to pay for another year when I wasn't planning to own it that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego