U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,035,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's not just the city of SD that has more registered Democrats, it now applies to the entire County. SD County is no longer blue, it's more purple these days.

Register Now If You Want To Vote | KPBS.org

And as Sassberto mentioned above, socially, it's not conservative here.
Maybe not in the city but I've encountered plenty of socially conservative people in the county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,035,370 times
Also another thing, people think Republicans are fiscally conservative. The first thing they do is start wars while in office. How is that saving money? I would rather my money go towards the betterment of all Americans than fighting unneeded wars. Plus look at the economy under Democrat Clinton and then look at it under Bush. Until Republicans spend my money how I want, they don't have my vote.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 PM

17,420 posts, read 14,060,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Also another thing, people think Republicans are fiscally conservative. The first thing they do is start wars while in office. How is that saving money? I would rather my money go towards the betterment of all Americans than fighting unneeded wars. Plus look at the economy under Democrat Clinton and then look at it under Bush. Until Republicans spend my money how I want, they don't have my vote.
American Leadership and War

Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,832,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I dont know bradleyyo, I think you might have it back words and putting the cart before the horse.

Voters that think fiscally conservative look at who runs on that type of agenda and it 'tends' to be Republicans. Some voters are just lazy nad will just stick to the party because back in the 50s and 60s the ideals may have been a different.
But there are PLENTY of fiscally conservative Dems as well. Look at who runs the Ways and Means committees and CBO. Its bi-partisan.

If you hadnt noticed, politics and party politics are changing decade by decade. "Independent' party types are going to screw things up for the two party system for a while because voters see both sides of the story and are necessarily ok with just being tied to one party anymore and like the autonomy.

As far as wars go, dont think for a minute that we are NOT setting up for war or 'defense' in the Asia Pacific. Some investing advice right now would be to start buying in the Defense sector and go long. Stocks are on sale right now.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 PM

2,244 posts, read 2,271,881 times
I found this chart interesting.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,177,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is a huge difference between public and private unions. If I don't want to buy a product that is being sold by a union shop I don't have to, and I rarely do. I can't opt out of fire protection even if I have a fire truck in my driveway.

If you have skills you don't need a union as your skill set sets the wages and benefits based on demand. I'll NEVER need a union to ensure I make a decent wage.
sounds like you'd get rid of the minimum wage too. it isn't about skills any more. cheap employers will pay whatever low wage they can get away with while so many jobs have gone OVERSEAS.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,375,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I always question corporations that constantly want to cut employee's wages and benefits even when these specific companies are raking in billions of dollars in profits.

It comes to a point where we need to ask corporations are you really cutting your workers wages because your company is in serious red ink? Or are you doing it to strictly satisfy your shareholders since they are barking at you to do whatever it takes to keep there own greedy pockets full?
That's really it in a nutshell for me. I realize that you want to maximize shareholder return. But there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Henry Ford is famous for paying his workers far more than the going wage because he wanted them to be able to afford his product. And he made a nice profit despite this.

Organizations that have unions on site have done something to get the employee base fired up enough to want one on site. You don't agree to cough up two percent of your paycheck if you're being treated well.

I think that instead of trying to take away pensions from those who have them, we should be asking ourselves why the hell we aren't demanding those from our employers.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,565,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
sounds like you'd get rid of the minimum wage too. it isn't about skills any more. cheap employers will pay whatever low wage they can get away with while so many jobs have gone OVERSEAS.
It's hard to imagine anyone so stupid as to outsource police and fire, but should we pay an accountant at city hall 90% of salary for the rest of their life? Some jobs are more important than others, right?

I'll never pay a union to represent me. They don't even know me, how could they represent me? I'm pretty good at representing me.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
should we pay an accountant at city hall 90% of salary for the rest of their life?
i don't get how you came up with that from what i said. not even close.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
If you hadnt noticed, politics and party politics are changing decade by decade. "Independent' party types are going to screw things up for the two party system for a while because voters see both sides of the story and are necessarily ok with just being tied to one party anymore and like the autonomy.
so far all the independents i've met either vote republican or not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego