U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 AM
 
1,335 posts, read 909,594 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

You still have your hardcore right wingers and their families that will forever stay in East County, there's just something about this place that keeps them here. It might be all the dirt and dead tree's! lol
lol! East County is just fun to rag on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Lemon Grove, CA, 91945
4,452 posts, read 4,192,418 times
Reputation: 1568
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
"Modern libertarians feel they should be able to do whatever they want. Liberties of any who disagree are often hypocritically cast aside with fallacious excuses to rationalize the libertarian's actions. This especially applies to the realm of capitalism. In an economy with finite resources, limited government ensures capitalists can act with impunity & the rights of individuals, doing as they please, & perpetuating few wealthy & many poor. The adoption of libertarianism is often not due to a refined comprehension of the constitution, but rather, parental indoctrination.

Many opinion-based beliefs of such libertarians include: all rich people earned it with hard work and will, all poor have only themselves to blame, no one's entitled to anything (not even healthcare), and success and failure are black and white. To them, sociological advantages & disadvantages are nonexistent; all people have to work equally hard to attain and retain wealth. Being born mostly into high-income families, they're accustomed to security & resources. They have little concept of hardship. Psychologically, they ascribe notions of hardship to experiences most people of lower socioeconomic strata know to be frivolous (feeling entitled to great gain, wealth they're accustomed to, but with objectively disproportionate effort)."

Urban Dictionary: Libertarian

It is true that most self proclaimed Libertarians were born into a family that was well off so they never experienced being poor. I have a friend who is a staunch Libertarian. She believes that if you don't go to college to become an accountant or doctor or engineer then it is your own fault if you become poor.

Many of these people would pay zero taxes if they could and that is just not realistic. I pay my taxes and I sleep better knowing that it is going to help those who need and that those who abuse the system are few.

Not sure if your trying to use urbandictionary as some credible source, but I guess that depends on point of view and for the sake of keeping it all sqaure lol

Republicans
A political party that tries to push its Christian beliefs onto the American people, even though we have a sepaation of church and state.

Furthemore, they support war without knowing all the facts, which cost innocent lives in the process.

But for Democrats on urbandictionary:
A member of the Democratic party, one of the two major political parties. Similarly to Republicans, they blame all of the world's problems on the other party.

From the same link on urbandictionary:
Libertarians= Republicans that smoke weed, Someone who takes care of a library and helps people find books.
or
A Republican who wants to get high and look at porn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 PM
 
1,335 posts, read 909,594 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Not sure if your trying to use urbandictionary as some credible source, but I guess that depends on point of view and for the sake of keeping it all sqaure lol.
lol no I don't think it is credible but the definitions have some truth to them.

Last edited by bradleyyo; 06-10-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
3,685 posts, read 2,135,569 times
Reputation: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

But for Democrats on urbandictionary:
A member of the Democratic party, one of the two major political parties. Similarly to Republicans, they blame all of the world's problems on the other party.

From the same link on urbandictionary:
Libertarians= Republicans that smoke weed, Someone who takes care of a library and helps people find books.
or
A Republican who wants to get high and look at porn.
I can't quit Laughing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: West Chester, PA
2,227 posts, read 2,021,398 times
Reputation: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
not sure if your trying to use urbandictionary as some credible source, but i guess that depends on point of view and for the sake of keeping it all sqaure lol

republicans
a political party that tries to push its christian beliefs onto the american people, even though we have a sepaation of church and state.

Furthemore, they support war without knowing all the facts, which cost innocent lives in the process.

But for democrats on urbandictionary:
A member of the democratic party, one of the two major political parties. Similarly to republicans, they blame all of the world's problems on the other party.

From the same link on urbandictionary:
Libertarians= republicans that smoke weed, someone who takes care of a library and helps people find books.
Or
a republican who wants to get high and look at porn.
:d:d:d:d:d!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
112 posts, read 179,599 times
Reputation: 152
Aside from being bored after living there for over a decade, the primary reason that I moved is because San Diego is waaaay too conservative for me. I worked with people everyday who were ignorant, shallow, and not in touch with reality. For example, quite a few people I worked with had little to no interaction with African-Americans and believed what they saw about them on tv/movies. Their idea of "culture" was to have a Latina housekeeper. It was sickening and disgusting.

So, no. I do not see San Diego changing. The main reason is because conservatives have children and raise them to be/think/act the same way that they do. Little mini-me's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 AM
 
1,335 posts, read 909,594 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
Aside from being bored after living there for over a decade, the primary reason that I moved is because San Diego is waaaay too conservative for me. I worked with people everyday who were ignorant, shallow, and not in touch with reality. For example, quite a few people I worked with had little to no interaction with African-Americans and believed what they saw about them on tv/movies. Their idea of "culture" was to have a Latina housekeeper. It was sickening and disgusting.

So, no. I do not see San Diego changing. The main reason is because conservatives have children and raise them to be/think/act the same way that they do. Little mini-me's.
If you're talking about the inland county areas being too conservative then I agree, but if you are talking about the city limits and anywhere along the coast of the county I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,666 posts, read 1,189,349 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
Aside from being bored after living there for over a decade, the primary reason that I moved is because San Diego is waaaay too conservative for me. I worked with people everyday who were ignorant, shallow, and not in touch with reality. For example, quite a few people I worked with had little to no interaction with African-Americans and believed what they saw about them on tv/movies. Their idea of "culture" was to have a Latina housekeeper. It was sickening and disgusting.

So, no. I do not see San Diego changing. The main reason is because conservatives have children and raise them to be/think/act the same way that they do. Little mini-me's.
Conservatives may have kids, but with the minority population now higher than that of non-Latino whites, diversity is the way it's going to be. The rest of the country is now catching up to how things have been in California for a long time.

I don't have much interaction with black people, but that's not because of segregation or prejudice. I just don't see too many black people in my day to day life. That shouldn't be too much of a surprise given that San Diego's black population is only around five percent. When I lived in DC, with a much larger black population, I would interact with black people on a daily basis.

As for culture being having a Latino housekeeper, come on. When a third of the population is Latino, even if you live in La Jolla, you're going to interact with a lot more Latinos than just a housekeeper or gardener.

I just don't see that lack of diversity you claim exists. Just walking to and from work, I see a tremendous amount of diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
If you're talking about the inland county areas being too conservative then I agree, but if you are talking about the city limits and anywhere along the coast of the county I disagree.
Exactly. When I was in La Jolla a couple of weeks ago, I saw a number of signs for Saldana and Peters and against prop B. And they are rich!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
 
1,335 posts, read 909,594 times
Reputation: 1030
There are many rich Democrats. Many of the people in Silicon Valley are Democrat and big Hollywood stars and people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerburg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Lemon Grove, CA, 91945
4,452 posts, read 4,192,418 times
Reputation: 1568
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
Aside from being bored after living there for over a decade, the primary reason that I moved is because San Diego is waaaay too conservative for me. I worked with people everyday who were ignorant, shallow, and not in touch with reality. For example, quite a few people I worked with had little to no interaction with African-Americans and believed what they saw about them on tv/movies. Their idea of "culture" was to have a Latina housekeeper. It was sickening and disgusting.

So, no. I do not see San Diego changing. The main reason is because conservatives have children and raise them to be/think/act the same way that they do. Little mini-me's.
So you are claiming the people you worked with as being ignorant yet, pigeon hole 'conservatives' as raising their kids like mini-me's?

The logic baffles me.

I agree with the others about diversity and it existing here. Where and when did you meet these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top