Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times

Advertisements

Good luck. You won't find the Georgetown preppy look here. And that is something that DC can keep for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:28 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Good luck. You won't find the Georgetown preppy look here. And that is something that DC can keep for itself.
I agree!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
+1 more

Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,183 times
Yeah, I've seen the east coast preppy look (i.e. J.Crew and A. Fitch) here too (Carmel Valley). Just not as many, as this style mostly died off in my college days, but the douche-bag (DB) personality can still be found in the same vein of people eerywhere. You can usually identify them because all they talk about is money (i.e. portfolio this, investment fund that...), wear golf clothing everywhere, often found wearing some hideous bling watch (Panerai or gold Rolex) driving a 6-series Bimmer or Rangie. Think Marthas Vineyard preppy.

On the other extreme, that I did not come across in the east coast but more so here, is the organic-transcendental crowd..often identified with superiority attitudes, most often outspoken (i.e. they know whats best for the world and others too) also found in designer clothes, Apple everything, enlightened crowd. Think San Francisco preppy.

The beauty of San Diego is that you get all flavors, including the SoCal types. What I have noticed more, in San Diego, is a higher number of "preppy" people who are down-to-Earth guys and gals who have done well and enjoying the finer things in life. Just as wealthy as the DB group, but sophisticated in a sense that they don't have to show it off in the clothes they wear or how they act.

It is unfortunate that the preppy crowd is also a shrinking group of people in San Diego, upper middle class IMO, due to the unstable amount professional careers in the area, price of property, and entry-level investment potential...i.e San Diego is very pricey to build net worth. I feel that many are moving away to places banking and/or biotech hubs like Ft. Worth/Dallas, DC metro, RTP, Atlanta areas where $200k can buy a nice piece of land, public education system robust, and the town is not in a deficit.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
I feel that many are moving away to places banking and/or biotech hubs like Ft. Worth/Dallas, DC metro, RTP, Atlanta areas where $200k can buy a nice piece of land, public education system robust, and the town is not in a deficit.
If you think $200K will buy you any land at all in DC, you're smoking some of those pharmaceuticals you work with.

I'm not sure $200K will buy you more than a townhouse even in Frederick or Sterling, and those are way out in the sticks.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:56 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
prep·py   [prep-ee] Show IPA noun, plural prep·pies, adjective, prep·pi·er, prep·pi·est.
noun

of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or being a style in dress or mode of behavior of a preppy.

Everyone else is spot on target. You won't find "preppy" at all in San Diego. Even in the wealthiest neighborhoods like La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, etc. people are laid back for the most part. That's one of the best things about the city. I've lived in really formal cities where you feel like you have to dress up to go to work or out to dinner.... but San Diego certainly isn't one of them.

Everyone is totally laid back and rarely do you see people wearing suits. Even at most work places it's totally casual compared to most metropolitan cities. I really love the laid back casual atmosphere of the city.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
Quote:
If you think $200K will buy you any land at all in DC, you're smoking some of those pharmaceuticals you work with.

I'm not sure $200K will buy you more than a townhouse even in Frederick or Sterling, and those are way out in the sticks.
Yeah DC really did not experience the bubble in real estate as much as the rest of the country. Prices have always been very high and still are.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Comme ca?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Yeah DC really did not experience the bubble in real estate as much as the rest of the country. Prices have always been very high and still are.
I'd say it experienced the bubble, but unlike most of the country, the bubble didn't pop. A little air came out of it, but it didn't pop.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,183 times
Quote:

Ok, D.C. does not fit the $250k price-point, but what I'm try to say is that the cost of living in San Diego is very prohibitive and salaries are not as competitive as other areas of equal cost.

Everyone sees and associates with different crowds/cliques, so maybe my crowd/environment is different to the majority of the population. I'm the newbie here...

Side note: Nobody would want to smoke the pharmaceuticals I work on, so I get no benefit there.

Last edited by PharmboyinNC; 06-11-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego