U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,732 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

My husband and I are in our late 20s (soon to be 30s!) any are likely relocating back to so cal after 2 years of exile in South Carolina. I grew up in OC and went to UCLA. He grew up in the heart of LA. We are dying in the suburbs of Charleston,SC at the moment. When we move back to Cali, we want to find a neighborhood that has more of a walkable urban vibe, without the parking mess of west LA (where we lived before our move).

He will be working at UCSD. Anything up to a 30 minute commute is acceptable if it gets us into a good neighborhood. My guess is I'll probably be working in downtown. We'll be renting. Have no kids, but may have a baby in the next few years. So probably a 2-3 bedroom with parking (garage ideal) for $1500ish. Don't really want to live in a apartment again, townhouse style would be better, but we're flexible. But most of all I don't want to live in a student ghetto - we are too old to live among frat houses, etc. A neighborhood with young, educated (and liberal) couples or young families would be great. Restaurants, cafes, and a bar or two would be great. Don't care so much about school system yet - we'll cross that bridge in a few years - but a park would be nice.

If you know OC/LA at all, I'm thinking something like Belmont Shore in Long Beach, downtown Huntington, Santa Monica, or even a historic neighborhood with a cute little downtown area like Orange. I just don't know what that would be for San Diego. Staying near the ocean is also idea for us as we don't do well in the desert.

Your suggestions are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 PM

2,196 posts, read 2,992,660 times
The North PB / South La Jolla area sounds like it could be a good fit for you. Close to the ocean with nearby restaurants and shopping. The area is somewhat upscale and is popular with young couples.

Here's a sample rental in the area: *Blocks to the Water** OCEAN VIEWS**Private Balcony*

Click on the map at the bottom of the listing to see the location. Craigslist has several rentals in the area.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,374,755 times
I think that downtown would be a great fit for you. I see lots of couples with babies pushing strollers around on the weekend. You likely would be able to walk to work, and your husband would have about a 20 minute drive to UCSD, half an hour with traffic.

You'd be able to walk to Balboa Park or if you're lazy, Park at the Park.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Any specific areas we should look in downtown?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM

4,536 posts, read 4,829,119 times
A 2-3 bedroom WITH parking for $1500 is a bit of a stretch for the urban core, including downtown. You might need to stretch that up a bit to ~$1800ish. Without the parking, then yes, there is quite a bit for $1500.

You also might want to try Hilcrest/Mission Hills/Little Italy, but parking with rent might be tougher to find.

Naturally these are just places to poke around and start looking, but rents these days seems to be creeping up higher and higher and downtown especially is getting very popular in that arena.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM

8,845 posts, read 12,557,840 times
Please don't call it "Cali."

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,374,755 times
I live in the Marina and like it. But you may also want to check out the East Village, Little Italy, Bankers Hill, or Park West. You'll be by the city core and able to walk to everything.

I'd stay away from the Gaslamp because the idea of dealing with people puking on the sidewalk when you're trying to sleep probably doesn't do it for you.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,059,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Please don't call it "Cali."
Thank you! I hate, hate, hate it when people say they're moving to Cali. If you want to fit in, don't call it Cali. The only person who sounded cool saying it was LL Cool J, and that was in like 1987.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,721,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Thank you! I hate, hate, hate it when people say they're moving to Cali. If you want to fit in, don't call it Cali. The only person who sounded cool saying it was LL Cool J, and that was in like 1987.
Aren't they natives, unlike most of the rest of us?
Anyway a cool,urban,liberal hood for $1500 2-3 br, with parking? NO way! Not even close. double the budget, 1/2 the size, or move way, way out...then only maybe. I'm going give a shout out to my neighborhood. It super walkable, strong senseof community, urban, lots of young families, insanely liberal. 15-20 min to ucsd and downtown.you will want some sort of parking, it's very tight. Your current budget and size requirements won't cut it and this is as affordable as beach communities get in san diego other than Imperial Beach and Oceanside.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I'm sorry, but I was born and raised in California and I say Cali sometimes (mostly internet shorthand - don't actually SAY it). I get it when outsiders say weird stuff like that - but I'm a native so cut me some slack ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego