U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 AM

3,116 posts, read 4,081,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanickel View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm not really looking for a new house. I don't want to live in a subdivision and I'm not interested in HOA... That would actually be a no go for us.
Then you should fit in fine!

And if anyone asks about a trying to bring a mall to town, if you say NO WAY, you'll fit in even better! Fallbrook may not be as rural as it once was, but "mall" or "walmart" are still considered bad words!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 10,482 times
LOL! Thats too funny. No, I don't need a mall five minutes away!

But I am getting worried. I've looked at other threads about the cost of living in SD and I'm hoping that they mean the city. We don't make 200k a year! My husband is active duty military and we get a housing allowance and don't pay for medical. So if I take housing and medical out of the equation, how much do we need to make a year? We have one car payment at $500/month, but otherwise no other debt. And we have two children. I'm not worried about activities or whatever, but just paying utilities, fuel, groceries... Anyone have an estimate on monthly costs or annual salary that doesn't include the housing cost or medical. it seems the problem is housing. Is that correct?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 PM

3,116 posts, read 4,081,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanickel View Post
I've looked at other threads about the cost of living in SD and I'm hoping that they mean the city. We don't make 200k a year!
There are people that think you have to make that much to live well in California. But there are plenty of people all over San Diego County, who live quite well on a lot less!

According to City-Data, the median household income in Fallbrook in 2009 was $56,356 - and the estimated per capita income in 2009 was $26,414. So if some are making $200,000 and the median is $26,414, then there has to be at least a few people making under that - and yet they somehow manage to survive and prosper.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM

11 posts, read 10,482 times
thanks for dispelling that myth! I was a little worried there! I was thinking wow, we will have to sit in the dark at night, won't be going out anywhere and will eat roman noodles every night! lol... So I'm glad to hear that isn't the case! I'm so excited! I've always wanted to see California (being born and raised in Pennsylvania) but life always has a habit of making other plans for us. But now ten years later, I'm hoping for another shot of coming out there and enjoying the fresh air, tepid weather, and sunshine!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM

863 posts, read 503,639 times
Lived in Fallbrook five years before moving to NC. Population is about 40k with a lot of larger homes on one plus acres and some smaller one's on city sized lots. Same for area of Bonsall, which is nearby. Both towns are in unincorporated areas of San Diego County. So you're only authority to be concerned with is the county. Check with Code Enforcement and/or Animal Control There's a County Animal Control in Carlsbad.

In Bonsall on Hwy 76, check out the carnitas at Estrella's restaurant. It's a shack but the carnitas are legendary.

semper fi

Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM

9,793 posts, read 24,417,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
Lived in Fallbrook five years before moving to NC. Population is about 40k with a lot of larger homes on one plus acres and some smaller one's on city sized lots. Same for area of Bonsall, which is nearby. Both towns are in unincorporated areas of San Diego County. So you're only authority to be concerned with is the county. Check with Code Enforcement and/or Animal Control There's a County Animal Control in Carlsbad.

In Bonsall on Hwy 76, check out the carnitas at Estrella's restaurant. It's a shack but the carnitas are legendary.

semper fi
Estrella's is no longer on 76...as the highway change would have run straight thru it. It is now located at the top of Mission Hills...still a hole in the wall, but very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego