Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 PM

39 posts, read 260,324 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or it seems like these guys called bros are very popular here now in el cajon, lakeside, santee, alpine, etc etc etc. A bro is a guy who has a lot of tattoos and maybe piercings, and he drives a big lifted truck and he goes to the desert and the river a lot with off roading toys-atv's, dune buggies, boats, etc etc etc. And they usually wear SRH clothes or SoCal clothes, things like that. Any mostly they are only white guys that are like in their 20's I'd say and their parents are pretty well off- uper middle class I would say.

Do you all know any of them or are they a problem here in East County???

Thanks,

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddball26 View Post
Is it just me or it seems like these guys called bros are very popular here now in el cajon, lakeside, santee, alpine, etc etc etc. A bro is a guy who has a lot of tattoos and maybe piercings, and he drives a big lifted truck and he goes to the desert and the river a lot with off roading toys-atv's, dune buggies, boats, etc etc etc. And they usually wear SRH clothes or SoCal clothes, things like that. Any mostly they are only white guys that are like in their 20's I'd say and their parents are pretty well off- uper middle class I would say.

Do you all know any of them or are they a problem here in East County???

Thanks,

Jason
In the same way that "Hip-Hop" clothing is only barely distinguishable from "Gang Attire", the "909'er" or "Bro" look is a loose mix of SoCal surf culture and hardcore skinhead.

Most of those dudes are pretty harmless, some are definiely not. A lot of them will probably outgrow the look, some will end up in the meth scene, skinhead scene, biker scene out there.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 PM

39 posts, read 260,324 times
Sassberto, im 30 and well I dont remember this BRO thing in high school at all. But Ive heard that it's a new style/trend and all that and that mostly the parents of Bro's are people who are contractors or own contruction buissnesses. What do you think ?

Jason

Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Yeah.i don't think it is a problem though.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,431 times
This post is hilarious! Yeah, the whole bro thing has really exploded all over California. Well, mostly in the more inland suburbs. I started noticing the trend about four years ago and had no idea that so many young guys would latch onto the whole bro thing. I live in the Santa Clarita area now and there are quite a few of them out here too, but I'd have to say not nearly as many as in the East County. I heard the 909 is even worse...with Rancho Cucumongo having the highest bro concentration of all. And yeah, a lot of the "bros" that I know have dads that are contractors or in the construction business, or they are themselves construction workers. Funny you should point that out. Also a lot of the bros work blue-collar jobs for studios out here in LA and are in some sort of motion picture union (such as grips, drivers, transpo, etc.). It's the ideal bro-job...tattoo friendly, great money, long hours but lots of time off in between productions. Since these jobs are gained strictly through nepotism, as long as these guys have a family member or close friend in the business ...these guys walk right in making 6 figures right off the bat with no education. Thus, the expensive boats, dirt bikes, monstorous trucks, criminal attorney fees, etc.

Thankfully, I think the bro thing is finally starting to die down. I've been seeing less and less of them around, and the bro-backlash seems to be in full swing. I'm not gonna lie, some of my acquaintances are borderline bros...aaand others are full-fledged, and they're not bad guys...just a little misguided. But seriously...come on... Kottonmouth Kings???

I can't wait to see what the next lame trend will be. Rockabilly? Oh....wait...nevermind.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:34 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikky View Post
But seriously...come on... Kottonmouth Kings???
this made me laugh, what a terrible band.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 PM

213 posts, read 744,741 times
ya there big in tha area. they where cackies & tees. shaved heads. a mini cult of skinheads.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM

32 posts, read 204,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
In the same way that "Hip-Hop" clothing is only barely distinguishable from "Gang Attire", the "909'er" or "Bro" look is a loose mix of SoCal surf culture and hardcore skinhead.

Most of those dudes are pretty harmless, some are definiely not. A lot of them will probably outgrow the look, some will end up in the meth scene, skinhead scene, biker scene out there.

I agree with Sassberto...But the whole culture of Desert Bro's is not influenced by surf wear at all, Coming from a San Diegan/Californian Native myself. It goe's way deeper than that. Here is where it all began.

Back in 1999 to 2002, Travis Barker the ex-drummer of Blink182 started the fad with bent tilted hats that were flipped up in the front, along with nautical star tats all around the neck with dickies and lip and eye piercings. Every young person in So.Cal adopted that fad like it was going out of style.

Then Travis Barker got into hip hop and started touring with the white orange county rap group called the Kotton Mouth Kings. After clicking together they started performing at Offroad Motocross events all throughout the U.S, which is especially the most popular outdoor hobbie in Southern Cal. So alot of whiteboys started getting swarms of tats and listening to the kotton mouth kings who advocate drug use in their music and took on the travis braker bent hat bill slanted sideways.

Well, since this happened. It attracted all of thuggish, partying, rough around the edges people in So.Cal and then transformed into it's own permanent culture. This Desert Bro culture is real thuggish. It's mostly white boys and girls, Who listen to hip hop and call each other DAWG and talk like gangbangers, Heavy drug use, Weed, Meth, popping pills, and then blend in a WHITE PRIDE belief in the mix of it and go to the desert and ride dirt bikes or quads or go to the Glamis Dunes. You see alot of the clothing that will have shirts or stickers that will say "SO>CAL WHITEBOY, or WHITEBOY FOR LIFE...Hip hop culture and slang with white pride, which is a complete OXYMORON! This culture is heaviest in So.Cal area's as NORTH OC, The inland empire area's such as RIVERSIDE which is the mecca and of course EAST COUNTY here in SD. And they all know each other and interact, its crazy. Primarily their DESERT BRO capital which is their meeting grounds is LAKE ELSINORE,CA. Most of them are real cocky and walk around with a tough guy attitude, and pick fights. It's such a backwards culture in my opinion. I still don't understand it. Racism and Hip Hop....WOOOO HOOOO

Oh they also take pics of themselves or with their friends throwing up their own made gang signs with their hands and the girls like to pucker up their lips and hold a peace sign sideways and get tramp stamps on their lower bottom back. Hahahaha

Last edited by MtnDude; 02-23-2009 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Bors have exploded recently. They're in the other suburbs too, taking the skater look and adding the generally inarticulate characteristics. I've noticed them in Northern CA as well when visiting my parents for the holidays.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Bors have exploded recently. They're in the other suburbs too, taking the skater look and adding the generally inarticulate characteristics. I've noticed them in Northern CA as well when visiting my parents for the holidays.
Bros are to California what Guidos are to the Northeast and what Chavs are to Britain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego