U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 6,495,150 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to SD (Mission Hills). What are the providers for land phone, cell phone, internet, cable? Who do folks like and don't like, and why? Any good bundle deals? See my list below (I don't know if this is a complete list nor if it includes providers that don't cover MH)

I currently have Verizon for cell phone on East Coast. Also, cable-wise, I prefer the very basic, minimalist package which in the East is $14 per month (BTW, this 14$ service still offers a bunch of nonnetwork stuff like F/X, MSNBC for example; it is a well-kept secret as the cable company here overtly advertises the 40$ one but not the 14$ one. I really don't want to pay so much for TV service)

Verizon
SBC
Cox
Southwestern Cable/TV
Time Warner Cable
Adelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 02:26 AM
SDF

52 posts, read 224,485 times
There are many Cell Phone providers, take your pick.

Cox is the predominant force in SD for Cable, phone, and internet (and they do offer a package for having all three) although Southwestern is around and many folks use DirectTV or Dish network for cable as well. Personally, I'm a Padres and Chargers fan so Cox gets the nod. They carry channel 4 San Diego which has almost all Padres games televised. My friend is also a Pads fan, but he uses DirectTV and always complains about not getting to see the games... some people never listen.

Cox is available in much of the city, but not all of it. You've got to check into that. I would think Mission Hills would be okay since I had Cox over in North Park. As I recall, it was about $120.00 monthly for full cable with all the HBO and Showtime channels, premium phone, and high speed internet package.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 AM

5,152 posts, read 6,495,150 times
Thanks SDF. Anyone else??

Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM

111 posts, read 280,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Thanks SDF. Anyone else??
I believe the city of S.D is covered by either Cox OR Time Warner Cable. Mission Valley im not sure since I do not know anyone in that area, but im 99percent sure its Time Warner or COX. Time Warner bought Adelphia out and took over but Adelphia was just in north county not in San Diego.

Ive had both Cox and Time Warner.They have very similar packages and offer phone, tv, and net for around $100 a month depending if you get the pay channels or DVR etc..

Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,930 times
Default reply to cable post

I would recommend other services such as Time warner cable or At&T. I have had all of the above including Cox cable and it has been the worst experince with their services. In 6 months I have required four visits for internet or cable issues during which I had to wait nearly a week with out service until they could schedule someone to come to fix it. When expressing these concerns to their customer service repersentatives and explaining that it interferes with my life every time I have to spend 2 hours at home waiting for repair person to fix the problem. I am told that its been 2 months since we last came out , as if thats okay. I guess every 2 months I just have to plan to have them come repair it again. These are not my only issues in dealing with this company either. If possible DO NOT USE COX CABLE!! Awful service all around. Best wishes

Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,512,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroc330 View Post
If possible DO NOT USE COX CABLE!! Awful service all around.
I'd disagree, to me AT&T by far has the worst service of any of these services. It's a matter of personal opinion though, so to each his or her own.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 PM

130 posts, read 405,128 times
Moved away from Mission Hills in June of this year, but had Cox while there--just their basic cable (they don't advertise it, but if you call and ask they will tell you about it (was around $13/month). No land line.

ATT did come knock at my door once re: tv/internet/phone bundle, so they also offer in that area.

Offers differ by area, but I've seen advertised packages around $100 for bundled cable, internet and home phone.

I've had cell with Verizon wireless for years and like them (exemplary customer service) but I've noticed my "bars" are not quite as good after the fires we had here last October--it seems they lost a cell tower or two, but I'm assuming other carriers would have as well. There are a couple areas that tend to drop calls, so I'd suggest checking it out when you're here to make sure you get the signal strength you want in the areas you'll be most often. Mine was just fine in Mission Hills.

Other carries may have better coverage in certain parts of the county. My sister uses ATT cell for that reason and likes them, but I am personally boycotting all ATT products.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM

190 posts, read 621,464 times
Cricket(cel phone) offers unlimited minutes local and long distance for about $35 a month, no contract or credit check. I won't recommend them if you're in the boonies alot like out in the dessert because the reception is poor, but if you're gonna stay in the metro area, it's a godsend. Phone selection sucks if you're into smart phone, 3G stuff, but for making phone calls, noone can beat thier $35 monthly price for unlimited minutes. Alternatively, you can buy your own CDMA phone and use that for thier service. They will even help you.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:07 PM

15 posts, read 40,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThings View Post
Moved away from Mission Hills in June of this year, but had Cox while there--just their basic cable (they don't advertise it, but if you call and ask they will tell you about it (was around $13/month). No land line.

ATT did come knock at my door once re: tv/internet/phone bundle, so they also offer in that area.

Offers differ by area, but I've seen advertised packages around $100 for bundled cable, internet and home phone.

I've had cell with Verizon wireless for years and like them (exemplary customer service) but I've noticed my "bars" are not quite as good after the fires we had here last October--it seems they lost a cell tower or two, but I'm assuming other carriers would have as well. There are a couple areas that tend to drop calls, so I'd suggest checking it out when you're here to make sure you get the signal strength you want in the areas you'll be most often. Mine was just fine in Mission Hills.

Other carries may have better coverage in certain parts of the county. My sister uses ATT cell for that reason and likes them, but I am personally boycotting all ATT products.

What channels do you get with the Cox basic cable? Does that include ESPN, or just like channels 2-17?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM

130 posts, read 405,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solt530 View Post
What channels do you get with the Cox basic cable? Does that include ESPN, or just like channels 2-17?
I'm not going to be able to give you a good answer on that one (sorry). I no longer live there and tried to google their list for you but it came up "not available." What I had was called "limited basic cable." If you call them, they should tell you which channels are included in their limited basic cable. Oh.. wait... from what I can read on their website, it looks like ESPN falls under the "expanded basic" cable (at $35/month) Cox San Diego : Cable Television > Standard Cable > Standard Channel Lineup (the legend is at the bottom--limited basic channels are coded white)

I was able to watch ESPN, but I think my landlord ended up splicing in his cable to my apartment (I paid him directly and seemed to get WAY MORE channels than I should have after the initial few months)--either that or they had me set up for the wrong thing. I didn't pay much attention to ESPN until meeting my sports-loving BF, and by that time I had the "extra" channels.

Option B is to keep the cheap cable, then meet up with friends to watch sporting events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or