Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,263 times

Advertisements

Hey, My name is Paul. I am moving out west from Florida and I was wondering if I could get some help from you guys. Im trying to find a neighborhood that is close to entertainment but more importanty safe and what areas to watch out for concerning crime. I need a heads up before I start a new lease. Thanks for the help.

-Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Places to watch out?About half of East and SE San Diego,National City,Oceanside,Chula Vista,and Escondido I guess.It is kind of a vague question because SD county is pretty big.Give us a little more information and maybe we can help you out a little better.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM

138 posts, read 1,001,933 times
If you don't mind living in North County, Encinitas is a great surf town with a few great bars and great people.

Central SD, like Pacific Beach has lots to do, but isn't necessarily the safest place (but not a dangerous area by all means). A lot of car break ins and idiot drunks in PB.

I would possibly suggest La Jolla. Stuff to do, but a really nice area...especially if you like the beach.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
You might also consider Little Italy and Cortez Hill area of Downtown, and perhaps also the East Village. These areas would be walkable to the Gaslamp district to a lesser or greater degree, though they might be pricey (But less pricey than La Jolla).

Rents vary greatly throughout the San Diego area, and this will probably be the main determining factor on where you live.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,033 times
are there any hip/trendy neighborhoods with some bars/restaurants to go to and maybe closer to the beach and decent for 20's 30's crowd to hang and yet still close to downtown within 20 minutes driving time? and not party areas like pb, more classy, but yet some stuff to do and be away from the city enough that you get some peace and quiet...

Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 PM

51 posts, read 212,617 times
I currently live in Little Italy, and if you want a nice place with young professionals, this, and Mission Valley would be the place to be. I'd say avg rents for a 1bd are 1500, while 2bd are $1800+

It's a $5 cab ride to the gaslamp, or you could take the trolley and walk a bit. The plus is that you don't have to deal with the core traffic coming in and out of downtown, and you're pretty close to all mass transit options. There are tons of places to eat and drink along India St., which is VERY convenient. I love being able to walk around day or night (not too late of course) and see others walking around. Much different than 90% of SD.

Mission Valley is a <10 minute drive, with more affordable housing. 1bds are $12-1300 and 2bd are $15-1600. You'll be depending on your car more often, and the only entertainment in that area are the malls, dave & buster, and the few bars in that area.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
are there any hip/trendy neighborhoods with some bars/restaurants to go to and maybe closer to the beach and decent for 20's 30's crowd to hang and yet still close to downtown within 20 minutes driving time? and not party areas like pb, more classy, but yet some stuff to do and be away from the city enough that you get some peace and quiet...
Check out Del Mar. There are many restaurants and bar/grill/restaurants along PCH. West of PCH are the beaches of Del Mar. It's has a village atmosphere like La Jolla but less congested with easier traffic options. Definitely less rowdy than PB/MB. It might be too family oriented and quiet for your tastes, you would have to be the judge of that. It's close to the UCSD/Sorrento Valley Hi tech corridor, so the night life should have more of a professional vibe.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:51 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogRyan View Post
I currently live in Little Italy, and if you want a nice place with young professionals, this, and Mission Valley would be the place to be. I'd say avg rents for a 1bd are 1500, while 2bd are $1800+

It's a $5 cab ride to the gaslamp, or you could take the trolley and walk a bit. The plus is that you don't have to deal with the core traffic coming in and out of downtown, and you're pretty close to all mass transit options. There are tons of places to eat and drink along India St., which is VERY convenient. I love being able to walk around day or night (not too late of course) and see others walking around. Much different than 90% of SD.

Mission Valley is a <10 minute drive, with more affordable housing. 1bds are $12-1300 and 2bd are $15-1600. You'll be depending on your car more often, and the only entertainment in that area are the malls, dave & buster, and the few bars in that area.
thanks for your input, that does sound like an area i would like. how is the cleanliness of the area though? i mean it is in a city so i'm assuming you get the full urban feel with noise, homeless, worries of car break ins, and occassional gang bangers, right or what? a 5.00 cab ride to gaslamp is huge. i like how you said you can walk outside around day or night and see people, that is cool. are there any spots along the streets that have outdoor areas to eat and hang out and people watch/pick up girls/meet new people?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
thanks for your input, that does sound like an area i would like. how is the cleanliness of the area though? i mean it is in a city so i'm assuming you get the full urban feel with noise, homeless, worries of car break ins, and occassional gang bangers, right or what? a 5.00 cab ride to gaslamp is huge. i like how you said you can walk outside around day or night and see people, that is cool. are there any spots along the streets that have outdoor areas to eat and hang out and people watch/pick up girls/meet new people?
It's totally safe, clean and fine. It's a bit noisy because the airport, train tracks, and freeway are all nearby. Thugs and homeless are on the other side of downtown to the southeast. Most of the newer buildings have secured underground parking. And it's just far enough outside of downtown so in 5 minutes you can be in residential areas with large parks (Presidio, Balboa Park). Highly recommended area.

Another area that is similar but a bit more car-centric would be Del Mar / Carmel Valley. Lots of yuppies, more young families than little italy, a bit wealthier and snootier, I think it might be a bit too similar to Newport given your experience there.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 AM

51 posts, read 212,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It's totally safe, clean and fine. It's a bit noisy because the airport, train tracks, and freeway are all nearby. Thugs and homeless are on the other side of downtown to the southeast. Most of the newer buildings have secured underground parking. And it's just far enough outside of downtown so in 5 minutes you can be in residential areas with large parks (Presidio, Balboa Park). Highly recommended area.

Another area that is similar but a bit more car-centric would be Del Mar / Carmel Valley. Lots of yuppies, more young families than little italy, a bit wealthier and snootier, I think it might be a bit too similar to Newport given your experience there.
It's clean out here, so there's nothing to worry about. If you visit this area, be sure to visit the opposite end of downtown, and you will see the contrast between the two. Little Italy is full of the chic and expensive condo highrises, so it's not ghetto or anything.

From my place, the airport noise isn't as apparent as the train noise, but then again, I live RIGHT ON the tracks (at a crossing, no less). I just see it as part of the urban experience, but I've honestly become used to it. I've never lived in a real city setting before, so this is all interesting to me.

You'll see a lot of people jogging or walking their pets, people seated outside the restaraunts and bars chatting up a storm on India St., and tourists checking out the scenery. There are lots of stores within walking distance, and the water is just a few blocks away. If you drive up north on 5th ave, you'll find more restaraunts lined up along that street heading into Hillcrest. Balboa Park is less than 5-10 minutes away, another huge plus for this area.

Even last night, I took a casual stroll along the waterfront and had a nice conversation with my girlfriend, while checking out the Star of India and the other historic ships parked in the area. We weren't the only ones, either, as there were quite a few people taking the same stroll. It's just a very different experience to walk around at night compared to most other areas in SD.

It's nice here, but I just wish my work was a little closer, as I work in the UTC area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego