U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,237,843 times
I've lived in a suburb and I can tell you that downtown is nothing like a suburb. Yes, we have a Ralph's and an Albertson's about a mile away from each other. Guess what? That's the antithesis of a suburb, because in a suburb, you'd have to drive three or four miles to get to a grocery store.

And if you want small businesses, you can't spit without hitting one.

City living doesn't mean no chain stores.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you have been on UE and/or are about to run out I'd sure be applying for this. These jobs are'nt meant to be careers. We should view these as stepping stone jobs unless you are of retiree age or single, young and have no kids.
I sure as hell wouldn't have applied for one of these jobs. Unemployment paid about $11 an hour. Why should I take a job that pays less than the unemployment I have earned? Yes, earned. To qualify for unemployment, you need to work continuously for a certain amount of time and you paid into that system. Then you have to lose your job through no fault of your own.

A lot of people don't have the education to find a better job, and in this slow growth economy, a lot of people who have the skills for better jobs can't find one. The unemployment rate among veterans is around 30 percent according to BusinessWeek.

Furthermore, just look at Costco. They pay above market wages, give above market benefits, and guess what? They make a lot of money and they have low prices.

Any business that says we have to cut wages in order to have low prices is full of crap. Costco is example number one. Southwest is another one. Oh, and they're also the most unionized airline. too.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM

8,606 posts, read 11,592,111 times
So if you get sick, what do you do? Do you pay out of pocket? Or do you get health insurance through some other source?

If I need to see a doctor or buy medication, I go across the border.

Most importantly, are you the primary earner in your family? It's one thing if you're not and these jobs are just to add a little income into the pot.

I'm single, have one cat and support the both of us.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Status: "Spiders DO have feelings and a sense of humanity." (set 6 days ago)

7,861 posts, read 5,138,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I am personally getting tired of the Suburbanization of downtown. Why would someone build a grocery store so close to an Albertsons? That will be 3 major grocery stores charging more money for fruits and veggies, than a small mom and pop market in the hood a half a mile away.

Trader Joe's is opening up in Horton Plaza as well, so that will make 4. I don't know, but I just rather have more originality when it comes to food businesses in downtown. With more corporations moving into downtown and it's surroundings, it's starting to suburbanize. What I mean by that, is the type of people living there now come from the "burbs", so they bring there suburban mentality with them which conflicts with Urban living and it's lifestyle.

You can tell by the certain kinds of people walking around downtown, they definitely don't look "Cityish", more like Rancho Bernardo transplants.

That Pep Boy's building has been empty for many years. Better to have something in there as opposed to yet another place for the Urban Campers to congregate/live.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 PM

4,263 posts, read 3,690,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't have applied for one of these jobs. Unemployment paid about $11 an hour. Why should I take a job that pays less than the unemployment I have earned? ... .
Because if you anticipate being unemployed past your eligibility for unemployment, you can (if you do it very carefully) take a temporary low-paying job to put off your unemployment payments to a later date.

What you have to be really careful about is not to work a low-paying job long enough that it becomes your new basis for unemployment payouts.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 AM

90 posts, read 47,309 times
Quote:
Why would someone build a grocery store so close to an Albertsons?
Take a look at the demographics. More middle to upper middle class people are moving downtown and businesses are responding to that by meeting the demand for services, housing, and goods.

Try this link to the interactive map of the Centre City Development Corporation to see some of the development going on in downtown San Diego; Interactive Map

I happen to think this is a good thing. More people living downtown 7/24 and buying goods, services, entertainment, etc.; more businesses providing jobs, more businesses and employed people generating tax revenue. This is a good trend.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM

17,151 posts, read 13,057,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't have applied for one of these jobs. Unemployment paid about $11 an hour. Why should I take a job that pays less than the unemployment I have earned? Yes, earned. To qualify for unemployment, you need to work continuously for a certain amount of time and you paid into that system. Then you have to lose your job through no fault of your own.

A lot of people don't have the education to find a better job, and in this slow growth economy, a lot of people who have the skills for better jobs can't find one. The unemployment rate among veterans is around 30 percent according to BusinessWeek.

Furthermore, just look at Costco. They pay above market wages, give above market benefits, and guess what? They make a lot of money and they have low prices.

Any business that says we have to cut wages in order to have low prices is full of crap. Costco is example number one. Southwest is another one. Oh, and they're also the most unionized airline. too.
You will when your UE ends. Pretty sure.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:24 PM

992 posts, read 1,523,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Actually, it's Jimbo's Naturally that is opening at Horton. Does the fact that it's a local chain make you feel better? I'm just curious as to what "Cityish" look you are talking about? Do you mean thuggish? I find it odd that you seem to have a perception of how city living should be, yet you live in El Cajon, if I'm not mistaken?
Yeah I live in the Cajon now, but lived in SD before. Used to hit up downtown almost every other weekend years ago, but since it has become more upscale and trendy, I don't go anymore. I remember this place called the Static Lounge, where Hip Hop artist would go head to head in battles every week, which was really cool to see in up close in person. It was more hood back then, so you had a lot of diversity amongst people, not just ethnically, but in the types of different people. You have your typical guy clubbers, dressed in a Metro sexual way, you have your uppity folks dressed very nicely and eating at Sevilla, and you had your random tourist and Joe blow eating and drinking at some Irish Pub, and then you had your Urban/ Hip Hop loving minorities minding our own business at the Static lounge.

What I mean by "Cityish" or Urban wear, Is how they look in general, some people just have that certain "look" to them like they've been through true urban city life and all of it's annoyances, their age, and fashion sense. I've noticed more older people, (like 50's years and up) downtown than I ever remember being there in the past. A lot more dogs too, especially midget dogs, the Paris Hilton effect

Jimbo's not Trader Joe's, my bad. Jimbo's is really expensive, it's on the level of Whole Foods ultra expensive. Do I care that it's local? No I do not, it's still a corporation. Trader Joe's would have been much better IMO since it's prices are in line with people of all incomes. Even so, Trader Joe's is also a corporation, but because it's more unique than a Jimbo's, and is on smaller scale, I can let TJ pass on that one.

Sure more wealthier people are in downtown now, but my argument is, if more and more and more big chain businesses start opening up everywhere, and they have already, what does that tell smaller businesses that are trying to find a building or location to open up there business? It creates extremely high lease rates which many business owners can't afford. The only ones that can, are obviously chain businesses with a lot capital. It's an unfair balance approach on how downtown small businesses survive. You want these people to thrive, and not to struggle, so anytime you see a mixed use project built downtown, the leases for those units below tend to be very expensive, mainly corporate owned business are the one's renting out those spaces, since they can afford it.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 AM

180 posts, read 169,278 times
There's a Grocery Outlet in National City. I thought I'd scored with a couple finds, but got home and noticed all the food was expired. I didn't die eating anything, but with the frozen stuff, it was clear that it had been through multiple thaw/refreeze cycles. Won't go back. No idea what they pay their employees, but it's definitely not Trader Joe's happy in that store!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Sure more wealthier people are in downtown now, but my argument is, if more and more and more big chain businesses start opening up everywhere, and they have already, what does that tell smaller businesses that are trying to find a building or location to open up there business? It creates extremely high lease rates which many business owners can't afford. The only ones that can, are obviously chain businesses with a lot capital. It's an unfair balance approach on how downtown small businesses survive. You want these people to thrive, and not to struggle, so anytime you see a mixed use project built downtown, the leases for those units below tend to be very expensive, mainly corporate owned business are the one's renting out those spaces, since they can afford it.
That's just not true. At all.

Just as an example, by your theory, places around Petco would all be huge chains, right? Around the ballpark, I can only think of three or four places that are chains. There's 7-11, but that's a franchise, so in my book, that's a small business. You've got the Tilted Kilt, and you've got Fox Sports Grill. I think Bilthaup is a chain as well, but I'm not sure.

But then you've got Proper, Bub's -- which while a chain is a local one, Fleetwood, El Vitral, Basic, the Corner, Dragon's Den, Toast, Lolita's...well, you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego