Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:39 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

On the site of the old Pep Boys store at 10th and Market, a grocery outlet store will going to be opening in about a month. Apparently, it's going to be a regular grocery store, and not be like the other outlet stores.

They just hired their all their employees, and I wonder how much THEY'RE paying them. I say if they're getting $10 per hour, they're lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
On the site of the old Pep Boys store at 10th and Market, a grocery outlet store will going to be opening in about a month. Apparently, it's going to be a regular grocery store, and not be like the other outlet stores.

They just hired their all their employees, and I wonder how much THEY'RE paying them. I say if they're getting $10 per hour, they're lucky.
And you're paying for their health care and food stamps. This is what you want? You want companies like this to make you pay for their employees because they are too cheap to?

This is the wrong way to do business.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Neither of my jobs have health benefits, and when I worked for SDUSD I didn't have them either. The grocery outlet has a Facebook page, check it out and see what they have to say.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,663 times
So if you get sick, what do you do? Do you pay out of pocket? Or do you get health insurance through some other source?

Most importantly, are you the primary earner in your family? It's one thing if you're not and these jobs are just to add a little income into the pot.

If these McJobs are the only source of income for you and your family, then it's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

And if this store wants to shift the costs of its employees onto me, I won't shop there. I'll continue to go to Ralph's or Costco. You know, places where employees get health insurance as part of their employment so I don't have to pick up the tab for the company.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
If you have been on UE and/or are about to run out I'd sure be applying for this. These jobs are'nt meant to be careers. We should view these as stepping stone jobs unless you are of retiree age or single, young and have no kids.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
I am personally getting tired of the Suburbanization of downtown. Why would someone build a grocery store so close to an Albertsons? That will be 3 major grocery stores charging more money for fruits and veggies, than a small mom and pop market in the hood a half a mile away.

Trader Joe's is opening up in Horton Plaza as well, so that will make 4. I don't know, but I just rather have more originality when it comes to food businesses in downtown. With more corporations moving into downtown and it's surroundings, it's starting to suburbanize. What I mean by that, is the type of people living there now come from the "burbs", so they bring there suburban mentality with them which conflicts with Urban living and it's lifestyle.

You can tell by the certain kinds of people walking around downtown, they definitely don't look "Cityish", more like Rancho Bernardo transplants.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I am personally getting tired of the Suburbanization of downtown. Why would someone build a grocery store so close to an Albertsons? That will be 3 major grocery stores charging more money for fruits and veggies, than a small mom and pop market in the hood a half a mile away.

Trader Joe's is opening up in Horton Plaza as well, so that will make 4. I don't know, but I just rather have more originality when it comes to food businesses in downtown. With more corporations moving into downtown and it's surroundings, it's starting to suburbanize. What I mean by that, is the type of people living there now come from the "burbs", so they bring there suburban mentality with them which conflicts with Urban living and it's lifestyle.

You can tell by the certain kinds of people walking around downtown, they definitely don't look "Cityish", more like Rancho Bernardo transplants.
All about the money. Those are pretty wealthy people moving into those high rise condos and money talks + gets their way.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The grocery outlet has a Facebook page, check it out and see what they have to say.
I didn't find anything!
Some grocery outlet in Michigan.

Edit: i found it!

Interesting
Quote:
Grocery Outlet tends to carry overstocks and closeouts of name brand groceries, as well as private label groceries. Some Grocery Outlets limit their meat selection to packaged products such as bacon, sausage, and bologna. Most stores do offer fresh meat, ground meat, and chicken in packages sealed by the processor. Produce is sold either by the unit or by the bag, with nothing being sold by the pound. Since Grocery Outlets buy mostly close-out or seasonal merchandise, there are only a few "must-have" perishable products that are kept in stock, such as milk, eggs, and bread.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
I don't know, but I just rather have more originality when it comes to food businesses in downtown. With more corporations moving into downtown and it's surroundings, it's starting to suburbanize. What I mean by that, is the type of people living there now come from the "burbs", so they bring there suburban mentality with them which conflicts with Urban living and it's lifestyle.

If only the world would just subscribe to your personal view of what should and should not be, we'd all be better off!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:

Actually, it's Jimbo's Naturally that is opening at Horton. Does the fact that it's a local chain make you feel better? I'm just curious as to what "Cityish" look you are talking about? Do you mean thuggish? I find it odd that you seem to have a perception of how city living should be, yet you live in El Cajon, if I'm not mistaken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego