Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM

37 posts, read 136,647 times

Advertisements

I must admit, I just hate summer here for the following reasons:

1. Zonies and other tourists clogging the roads, poking along.
2. Because of number 1, everything is crowded and parking is twice as bad as non-summer
3. Being subjected to noise and losing precious sleep from the higher frequency of parties in summertime (I rent).
4. The heat (minor gripe) because where I live and work (both on the coast), doesn't have A/C

Seasons in order of preference:

1. Spring (who doesn't love the green and wildflowers? plus the Summer Zonies and other tourists have not yet descended en mass like a horde of locusts)
2. Winter (this is a close second because there are no Zonies and you can actually find parking at the more popular spots!)
3. Fall (not a fan of the annual September heat wave or the Santa Ana's, otherwise Fall is not too bad)
4. Summer (for the aforementioned reasons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Summer is for the tourists. The rest of the year is for the locals.

This is why I love camping up the coast or out east as soon as school starts.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 PM

157 posts, read 484,298 times
if i can afford ac/heater regularly i'd enjoy the summer much more. thankfully i moved to a new apt with central ac/heater

Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
really just one season here and it's good

Old 06-26-2012, 03:41 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr75 View Post
I must admit, I just hate summer here for the following reasons:

1. Zonies and other tourists clogging the roads, poking along.
2. Because of number 1, everything is crowded and parking is twice as bad as non-summer
3. Being subjected to noise and losing precious sleep from the higher frequency of parties in summertime (I rent).
4. The heat (minor gripe) because where I live and work (both on the coast), doesn't have A/C

Seasons in order of preference:

1. Spring (who doesn't love the green and wildflowers? plus the Summer Zonies and other tourists have not yet descended en mass like a horde of locusts)
2. Winter (this is a close second because there are no Zonies and you can actually find parking at the more popular spots!)
3. Fall (not a fan of the annual September heat wave or the Santa Ana's, otherwise Fall is not too bad)
4. Summer (for the aforementioned reasons)
I *love* summer. I don't mind more people at the beach or at Balboa Park (the only two places I ever really go where the tourists hang out). I ride my bike most places, and I have parking secrets at most of the places I've been frequenting for years... I will concede that driving through the stretch of Mission Valley where all the hotels are can get kind of annoying, though, and If I lived in certain coastal areas I can see how it would be a problem.

As for more parties.. I live in an urban residential area away from the beach (don't live in party town if you don't like people partying!), it's the same there as any other time of year (I rent too).

And I haven't had AC ever. Window fans to pull the cooler night air in makes my apt. just fine by bedtime. When it's really warm I hang out on my back porch every night doing whatever I'd be doing if I was inside, reading, watching a movie on my laptop in the hammock, prepping food to go on the grill when it's too hot to cook in the kitchen... etc. It's seriously awesome as I love being outside as much as possible, and I love the balmy summer nights.

Also outdoor movies, Shakespeare at the outdoor stage at the Old Globe, eating outdoors without a sweater, swimming in the ocean every day after work, picnics and BBQ's, fireworks, water parks- Yeah. It's pretty rad.

I like the other seasons, too. Winter and spring is desert season! So much to explore out there, so much history, such great camping... It's also cool enough to hike Cowles without having to get there at 8 am.

Fall... We don't really have much of a fall, as summer basically stretches straight through at least mid-September most years. But I do love that evening when you feel that *very first* chill in the air... And I love the Santa Anas, too, so long as stuff isn't on fire.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
When I lived in SD summer was by far my favorite season. Loved the beach and the summer atmosphere in SD, it just feels so vibrant. Yeah it's more crowded but it just feels like more is going on too. If you like peace and quiet with not much going on then I can see why summer wouldn't be your thing in SD.

Didn't mind summer parties too much, I guess I lived on a quiet block in PB but I never thought it was an issue during the week. Some nights were difficult to sleep though without AC, mainly the one's where it didn't drop below 70, but overall I love balmy summer nights.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,678 times
I have to agree that there is something vibrant about the atmosphere and vibe here in summer that I love, tourists and all, that you don't sense at other times of the year, and lots going on. I love all seasons here but have to say summer is my favorite.

As for the crowds, I spent last Saturday in LA - 45 min. on the 405 trying to exit onto Wilshire and then another 45 minutes in gridlock traversing a couple of miles on Pacific Coast Hwy in Malibu - Kinda makes our "crowds" pale by comparison!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
really just one season here and it's good
Exactly. To everyone else outside of SD its the summer. To us its just a busier time of year

Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM

371 posts, read 637,439 times
Summer is awful for me. Too hot (no central or wall A/C, not allowed to have cheap window A/C, don't have the $$$ for a portable A/C yet) and too many bugs! And hey, I used to live in TX, I know SD doesn't have bugs like they do, but it still has enough to be gross.

Late fall rules, for me, with winter and spring tied.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Love the long days. BBQ and backyard. I live on the wraparound covered porch, whole house opened up to catch the breeze off the ocean. I almost never go to the beach in SD, maybe a couple trips, but I grew up in the water and summer by the sea is just one of the greatest places to be. Love the hot weather here on the eastside, hot but no humidity, always comfortable outside in the shade. I practically live outside in the summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego