U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 AM

565 posts, read 421,318 times
I would be down with a Bath and BodyWorks-type store for men, with modifications to more manly things, like hand razors, perhaps a few bar supplies-not like a man-cave store, that won't go anywhere-but a place where guys can go to get stuff to smell fresh and get some things that point to refined living. Setting a mood or tone in the store would be huge. It has to look, feel and sound appealing and in line with the overall model or target you're looking to attain.

If commercials or advertising were involved, you would want it to be Dos Equis-like. Not straight rip-off, but masculine.

Location would also be key. You wouldn't want to open any men's shop in a hipster area. All they wear is crappy band shirts, skinny jeans and flip flops. Try North County and as south as La Jolla. Anything beyond that, and it's doomed for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 2,022,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
Low/medium end means price sensitive customers which means large stores have buying power. You will be wiped out in no time flat.
I know the onwer of Mario's family clothing stores,and he does quite well in that market.
He's about 4 stores and is about open 2 more stores here locally

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
I would be down with a Bath and BodyWorks-type store for men, with modifications to more manly things, like hand razors, perhaps a few bar supplies-not like a man-cave store, that won't go anywhere-but a place where guys can go to get stuff to smell fresh and get some things that point to refined living. Setting a mood or tone in the store would be huge. It has to look, feel and sound appealing and in line with the overall model or target you're looking to attain.

If commercials or advertising were involved, you would want it to be Dos Equis-like. Not straight rip-off, but masculine.

Location would also be key. You wouldn't want to open any men's shop in a hipster area. All they wear is crappy band shirts, skinny jeans and flip flops. Try North County and as south as La Jolla. Anything beyond that, and it's doomed for sure.
Brilliant ideal!
This is the "Can Do" attitude we need.
I shop at Bath and body works/Macy's and always feel out of place.
I would shop at a place like that in a heart beat!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM

12 posts, read 11,942 times
I'd open a shop for men in Hillcrest, Downtown, or Fashion Valley. Hillcrest is the gay part of town, and where men will be the most concerned about their appearance. They will have the most disposable income to spend on higher end clothing. Downtown will be full of tourists and conventioneers bringing in spending $$$. Fashion Valley attracts rich people from Mexico, where men are concerned with flashy brand name stuff.

Most straight men from San Diego really don't care about the way they dress. Guys can get away with wearing shorts and flip flops all year round, and they do. If you were to open up a store in the beach areas, it would have to cater to the surfer/skater lifestyle, and most guys into that sort of thing will not walk into your store unless you are also selling surfboards and/or skateboards. You or your employees know what you're talking about. It has to be legit. Stand up paddle boarding is becoming huge right now. I'd cater to that kind of thing if I were you. Basically, the only way San Diego guys will walk into a store is if they also sell some kind of sporting goods, or women's clothing (because their ladies drag them in there)

Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkaFSU View Post
I'm considering moving to San Diego to open up a retail store catered specifically to men. More along the lines of clothing (but not quite). I have been endlessly trying to research and see whether SD is a good place to open up my store....I've found some information online, but would like a few resident opinions. Do you see San Diego (or specific areas) booming with shops or boutiques or even malls? Men that care about their image or what they wear? Or should I be looking in LA (Even though I was hoping to avoid it) ?

Thanks in advance..
As others have mentioned, you just want to be in the right area to open up a men's store. If you are looking more toward the higher end, might want to consider Hillcrest, Del Mar, Solana Beach (Cedros), maybe Encinitas, Carlsbad Forum, Downtown SD (Little Italy, Horton Plaza Mall), La Jolla and Carmel Valley.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 PM

19 posts, read 9,871 times
Thanks to everyone for their feedback so far!
I do agree, now is actually a good time to get a head start (I think positively) and try things out. I was even looking into L.A (I just prefer to live in San Diego so I'm being a little biased, even though I know L.A has more of an up and coming sort of feel to it when it comes to starting up retail stores...)

It will definitely have a manly feel and it will be sort of like a Vicis but for men. Grooming, underwear, loungewear, basics, candles (baseball mit scent anyone?!)..I'm looking at demographic maps and trafffic patterns as well in some highly populated shopping areas. I know to stay away from hipster areas and beach-y areas, so it was nice to get a breakdown of where those are at...

Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 PM

223 posts, read 177,312 times
People repeatedly mention La Jolla. The rents there are so staggering high that the failure rate on retail is probably in the 90% range. Every time I head out to see family or do business, I'll drive along Prospect and Girard or Fay just to see the shop turnover...

Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,822,240 times
Not to throw a spanner into the works, but are you considering selling via an online store rather than bricks & mortar? My SO & I were just mentioning this week how we've been astounded at the volume of people we've met in the past few years who say they are successful doing just that... from antique furniture to paintings to socks. The startup & maintenance costs would surely be less likely to put you into the poor house should you not find a demographic. You could then open your store after a modicum of success.

Also, ever consider buying a mailing list to send questionnaires to people in a particular zip code in the demographic you're targeting to ask about such a venture? You could enclose a flyer with your prospects & a self-addressed, stamped postcard with a few questions for people to easily return to you. Just a few simple questions, such as 'Would you shop at a clothing store for surfers/skateboarders/upscale suits', etc. You could also just send a postcard asking them to take a short 6 question survey at a website you set up to collect info... perhaps offer a drawing for a $100 gift certificate to your new store/online shop as an incentive. Just a thought to ponder or discard as you see fit.

P.S. I mailed questionnaires for a $100 total cost to several hundred 20-yrs ago when I wanted to begin a new venture in another state. A very successful physical therapist friend suggested it & 8 positive responses was the reason she decided to open her own biz. It was very useful. I decided not to relocate at that time, but I did have very successful feedback (a handful of no's too) & had I been able to move, I at least felt I'd have a degree of success & some freelance work lined up.

Best of luck!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkaFSU View Post
Thanks to everyone for their feedback so far!
I do agree, now is actually a good time to get a head start (I think positively) and try things out. I was even looking into L.A (I just prefer to live in San Diego so I'm being a little biased, even though I know L.A has more of an up and coming sort of feel to it when it comes to starting up retail stores...)

It will definitely have a manly feel and it will be sort of like a Vicis but for men. Grooming, underwear, loungewear, basics, candles (baseball mit scent anyone?!)..I'm looking at demographic maps and trafffic patterns as well in some highly populated shopping areas. I know to stay away from hipster areas and beach-y areas, so it was nice to get a breakdown of where those are at...

Candles? Seriously?

I say dump the candle talk and if you want baseball glove smell, go for a cologne or body wash.

In fact, you find a cologne that smells like a wad of money, and I'm a customer for as long as you sell it.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 AM

19 posts, read 9,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
Candles? Seriously?

I say dump the candle talk and if you want baseball glove smell, go for a cologne or body wash.

In fact, you find a cologne that smells like a wad of money, and I'm a customer for as long as you sell it.
Yes, seriously. And cologne and body wash are a given. Wad of money? Sure thing.

And I have considered e startup, however seing that this is missing in the market, I wanted to have a brick and mortar. I want guys to feel comfortable and be able to touch and handle.the merchandise. I do however love the idea about zipcode surveys! Thanks for that!!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 AM

I can't think of any dude who would go for candles, really. Unless it's a hipster, and that's the crowd that won't get into the whole idea as it's been presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego