Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 PM

39 posts, read 50,632 times

Advertisements

Clevelandgal and shmoovgroovzsd, Thanks for the information! I'll be back out there in a few weeks to complete some pre-employment obligations and to apartment hunt! I don't mind hitting the streets to look for a place. In your experience, would I need to provide any more than proof of income/employment and a current landlord's reference to any potential landlords there? I look forward to being there, as it's been 105 degrees here in Raleigh for the past two days!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I guess it depends if it is a private landlord or they use a management company. When we were renting downtown it was private condo managed by a real estate company. We had to do the usual income, bank assets ( we had owned for many years so no landlord references available), and credit check. A mom and pop landlord may be happy with proof of income, a reference and deposit funds. So many people move here with a couple months saving and NO job (but big dreams of getting one), so you are way ahead of many others. Bring a sweater when you come, it's still chilly at night by the sea.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Hey Guys And Gals, One More Question (if it's okay),

I'm heading back to SD for more pre-employment obligations next week but won't be moving there until mid-September/first week of October. With that in mind, I'd like to hold off on apartment hunting, but would like to contact a few rental companies and get on their "wait list" of sorts. Is doing so the right move, in your opinion? Keep in mind that my search is OB and if the market is better in Sept-Oct then I can absolutely just search then. All opinions are welcome and your comments are greatly appreciated!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I saw a management company, Torrey Pines property Mang seems to have a few listing around here. Check their web site out, it has a seach engine for OB. Maybe they can tell you what will be coming available. The rental market should be better then than now since it is the beach. If you have time when you come you can drive/walk/rent a bike and get a feel for the different parts. I think it's kind of nice to be really close to the beach, but it is more "rustic" in general as you get closer to the water. Same goes for Newport av. Which is where the chili fest was when you came. There are definitely some dumps around here, but then there are some nicer little units as well. The 35 bus runs down cable to w. pt loma, which means its really accessible to most if not all of OB. As a side note (and I would never promote a car over public transport to someone who want to use it, but) there is plenty of free parking at the Old Town station, so you could always take the quick drive to the station and then the trolley or bus downtown on days you were in a hurry.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks for your response, Clevelandgal! I'll be walking the streets on Saturday, so say hello or honk if you see a guy walking around in an NC State tee shirt!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krambis View Post
Thanks for your response, Clevelandgal! I'll be walking the streets on Saturday, so say hello or honk if you see a guy walking around in an NC State tee shirt!

Green with envy right now, krambis....As soon as house sells, Im outta NC.... I know that the grass may not be necessary greener...but it will be nice change of pace from the norm....but you all ready know what I speak of. Good luck in San Diego.!!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Hey, westcoastbabe! Yep, sell that house first and then get out west! Give a shout when you're looking at jobs and I'll help if I am able to do so! Hope that you're holding up in this 100 degree weather for this past week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego