U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,255,662 times
Rent is much cheaper in Phoenix than San Diego. But I'd pick San Diego in a heartbeat. I love the beach though, so that greatly influences me. I haven't lived in Phoenix, but did live in Tucson for 5 years. Spent some time in Phoenix, and actually really like it. I see skateboarders everywhere I go in California, and especially anywhere near the beach where people hang out. Can't say I ever saw any in the 5 years I was in Tucson. Don't know about parks though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 PM

20 posts, read 23,690 times
I notice the original post is over 2 years old. Too bad I can't find out what he chose, I'm especially curious because I lived in Phoenix for a little over a year. I would have told him to go to San Diego,

Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 PM

8,647 posts, read 11,671,233 times
I lived in Tucson from January 1988 to October 1989. I loved it, and the only reason I left was that the job situation was bad. But I like San Diego better.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:18 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,127,198 times
AZ sucks. I hope he did end up going to SD.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,604,153 times
Now this is funny...I heard Phoenix was the "bomb diggity". Affordable Cost of living, Unemployment rate there is high, but not as high other cities, Lots of t hings to do....Gotta be better than Charlotte, NC...If anything it would be an improvement.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM

20 posts, read 23,690 times
I dunno westcoastbabe, I only lived there for a year but thought the place was incredibly boring. Yup it's cheap as hell and the weather is nice in the spring and fall but it's too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and the city is basically full of a bunch of redneck cowboys. You generally have to leave the city to find something fun to do, Scottsdale is a lot of fun and Tempe is decent too. The've been working hard on a "revival" though by building a light rail system in the city and luring businesses like restaurants and boutiques to the downtown area with tax deals and things like that. I lived there in 2006/2007

Old 03-07-2010, 09:56 AM

660 posts, read 711,281 times
I've never been bored anywhere that I have lived. I find there is entertainment abounding in all places as well as things to do and people to meet. My complaint about the greater Phoenix metropolitan area (I spent ages 11 - 28 with the exception of one year in Flagstaff and one year in Tustin (OC, CA) living in Phoenix and Mesa) is the climate and the brown everywhere. If you like brown that would not be an issue. The heat was just waaay too much for me. It started in early May and did not break until well in to October. I would never move back there. As a matter of fact I haven't been back since my parent's passed away around 1995.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM

111 posts, read 138,586 times
If I wasn't Ocean addicted, Phoenix would be for me.

Phoenix is a great city and the women are ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 PM

19 posts, read 51,925 times
Wow, I haven't used city data in while and this question was quite dead when I first created. Since people are wondering, I initially chose Phoenix and found the skating part of the city fantastic - great skate scene and parks. Although I found the people to be a little cliquey and the city very bland...all areas included- I technically lived in Tempe. I just got bored with it after about a year even though I had a great job there. I gave up my job to move to LA - over san diego- because I thought it would be more my thing. I actually lived in Long Beach for a bit too. I enjoyed LA but living there really wasn't my thing -too stressful. I ended up taking 6 months off to just travel abroad and when I returned I landed back in the south and have been in Atlanta for a few months. A lot of people would argue with me but I find Atlanta to be quite boring. Bands that I want to see come here and events pop up but I honestly feel this isn't very much of a city for a well educated guy in his early 20's. There's just not much of a scene here for things I'm in to: art, indie stuff, being health minded... If you're black -this city is 62% african American- and into the hip hop scene then you would love it here though. I miss SoCal due to the weather, skating, beaches, women, health mindedness, etc. and although I would never consider moving back to LA I'm highly considering going back to San Diego. I spent quite a bit of time there during my residency in LA and feel the laid back life style there and proximity to LA for events would be perfect for me. If I can find a job there....That's where I'll be. Hands down my favorite place in the US. Cost of living is a little extreme -particularly rent- but a lot of people feel it's worth it and I'm apparently one of those people. I actually find food, liquor, and going out to places in Atlanta to be more expensive than LA. The only thing in LA that was more expensive than here is gas and rent. Not too many quality hole in the wall joints around here... And Southern mentality/culture/accents just kills me...and I'm from freakin Mississippi. The Bible Belt just kills me.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 PM

19 posts, read 51,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainin View Post
i need to move to cali, im 20 years old, jobs suck in the northwest spokane wa, im a decent ass skateboarder and its the only thing i have passion for. Skateshops up here need you too have constant footage if you want anything short of a sponsorship, even then they dont try and send out your footy and nobody on the teams want to film i mean its lame as ****. Anybody ever been in a position like this if you have then maybe give me some ideas, do i just leave to cali on a whim with nothing but 500bucks in my pocket? Reply asap if you have any kind of hope for an up and coming shredder
I wouldn't move there with just 500 dollars...You're definitely asking for a disaster there. I know that with skating being your passion its torture being somewhere with a lame, or nonexistent, scene. It is the age of youtube and companies do scope out sponsor me tapes but being in SoCal and making connections within the industry definitely makes things easier. Honestly though, kids are killing it these days and getting fully and legitimately hooked up is hard even for insanely good skaters..you have to fit an image as well. You could give Portland a try...bustling skate scene there if you can stand the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego