Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 AM

29 posts, read 78,130 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I am not from around San Diego, but i am doing a research on this city and i was wondering if San Diego has something similar to the boroughs in NYC. This means that am am interested in knowing if there is a local understanding of some larger areas in the city which incorporate neighborhoods.
e.g. Manhattan is a borough which incorporates neighborhoods such as Harlem, West Village, Chinatown, etc, to say it in a simplistic manner.
Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
No burroughs here in that sense. But regions of the county like north county coastal, east county, south bay that are unofficially designated and usualy made up of individual cities with the exception of SD proper.
Whereas Burroughs in all of NYC are officially designated and represented.

SD proper has neighborhoods within its boundaries similar to your example of Manahattans neighborhoods. Politically they are divided into council districts.

SDLookup.com | San Diego Real Estate & Homes for Sale
This should give you an idea of of the boundaries and neighborhoods respectively

Old 07-02-2012, 05:52 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
San Diego's neighborhoods are officially designated by the City, but there are no officially designated boroughs. However, there are unofficial clusterings of neighborhoods.

While 99% of the people might cluster North Park, South Park, University Heights, Hillcrest, and Bankers Hill together, perhaps only 90% of people would add Golden Hill and Mission Hills to that list. Maybe only 80% of the people would add Normal Heights to that list. 70% of people might add Little Italy to that list. There are parts of the city that everyone clusters into a group, and then there are areas near the edge of that cluster which could be part of that group, or part of a different group.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM

29 posts, read 78,130 times
This is helpful information, but I would be also interested in knowing if there is some sort of naming for these groupings of neighborhoods.
I did find a map on the SD official city website which grouped neighborhoods and named them with cardinal directions (such as Northern, Southern, Western, etc) and I was wondering if this is the way people in San Diego referred to such areas or there is some other form of naming them and what would that be.

http://www.sandiego.gov/police/pdf/2...itywidemap.pdf - this would be the map I was referring to

Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
In the map you have linked to, the groupings are for allocation of police resources only. Generally, the public doesn't use these names. Only the Southeastern and Mid-City grouping have gained any common currency. But the police will change the boundaries as they need to re-allocate their personnel, so the lines of these larger groupings aren't really fixed into place

Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
Normal Heights, Kensington, North Park, La Mesa, Hillcrest.. these may be what you're looking for as they have that borough feel & vibe.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,919 times
I would say that if there is any specific regional identity (other than the typical: North county, East County, "Beach Cities," Downtown SD, North Park, etc.) they would so be defined more by Area code than anything else. San Diego County is divided into three main area codes: 619-Southern; 858-Mid; 760-North County. Area code is the way we San Diegans quickly identify each other without going through formalities.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
I'm not sure about Boroughs but have a lot of "Mesas".

Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,698 times
Go to the San Diego version of Yelp and they will have a checklist of different 'neighborhoods' it may give you a sense of what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego