Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,717,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I have several cities on my weather app on my phone so I see the weather there, when I saw SD was already at 78 this morning with a 69 degree dewpoint I was pretty fricken jealous and had flashbacks to all those perfect days spent at the beach.

It's been in the upper 90's where I am since the middle of last week but of course there is no large body of water near me that you can swim in to cool off. So I had to make do with a pool over the weekend, that still can never compare to Windansea or LJ Shores though of course.

Hopefully I can make it down before the racing season ends at Del Mar.
LOL...only you and I seem to get excited about dewpoints! It's been in the mid to upper 60's for a week now and feels great, especially for walking around and eating outside at night. Upper 90's? I'm guessing you must be living in the deep in the East Bay where it gets plenty warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,019,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Thanks for reminding me about map........it's definitely a good one. Look at how warm it is along the North County coast
Just got home from the Shores. Perfection.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,335,118 times
Swimming after work as been a dream. The water temp is warm and not chilly at all getting out. What I can't believe is how crowded the beach is at 6 pm on a weeknight, it's as if it's 2 pm on a weekend, if not busier.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I, too, was at the beach both days over the weekend and it was fantastic! I was up north where the water was 72 degrees at Scripps/La Jolla (Oceanside was at 74). The water was so clear, too. I've got my trunks and towel ready to go again after work again!

I've mentioned this before, but you really need to go to LJ Shores and swim with the Leopard Sharks. It's a bit unnerving at first, but so cool at the same time. Bring your snorkel and fins and have fun! Check out the video below.

Hundreds of Leopard Sharks Swarm La Jolla | NBC 7 San Diego
Thanks for the reminder. we have been meaning to get back to the Cove for snorkeling, i was going to check the cove visabilty this weekend. I have a surf/dive line number and have been waiting for conditions to hit 20 ft visability before making the long trip up the coast from OB to La Jolla Which spot is best for fish/ sharks the cove or shores?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,019,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Thanks for the reminder. we have been meaning to get back to the Cove for snorkeling, i was going to check the cove visabilty this weekend. I have a surf/dive line number and have been waiting for conditions to hit 20 ft visability before making the long trip up the coast from OB to La Jolla Which spot is best for fish/ sharks the cove or shores?
For sharks and rays, the South end of the shores (by the marine room). Hands down. There's a lot of jellyfish this year, but don't worry, their stings are barely a bother. Like a bug bite that goes away in half an hour. I've been stung a bunch of times this year and stopped even paying attention after like the third one. Plus, they're Beautiful!

15+ feet of visibility should be enough to get you up there, you'll rarely hear them report 20 so if you wait for that you'll miss the whole season. When the tide's on the way out it's clearer than when it's coming in. Have fun!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 PM

Yeah I have dealt with mild stinging jellies before and had no issues. Except once. Years ago in the Yucatan, I was snorkeling in a one piece and several swam in to my suit and got mashed between the skin and suit. They did not hurt at the time.Several days later I had a pretty serious allergic reaction on my stomach where the jellies had stung me en masse. Very bizarre and my lesson will be to wear a bikini when I go to LJ shores.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,717,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Jenkay is right...the best place to swim with the leopard sharks is front of the Marine Room. And there is no need to wait for the visibility to be over 20 ft (I wouldn't be surprised if is close to that now). You just have to walk into chest deep water, put your snorkel on and stick your face in the water to see them swimming around at your feet!

Last edited by sdurbanite; 08-15-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,540,105 times
Quote:
LOL...only you and I seem to get excited about dewpoints! It's been in the mid to upper 60's for a week now and feels great, especially for walking around and eating outside at night. Upper 90's? I'm guessing you must be living in the deep in the East Bay where it gets plenty warm.
Yep, in Walnut Creek where it's pretty much 85-100 all summer long. Weather here is pretty decent and we actually get warm nights often compared to areas right around the bay and ocean. But since there is no large body of water out here I don't spend as much time outdoors like I did in SD; hiking around some dry, dusty hills on a regular basis isn't really my thing.

You guys are killing me talking about going to the beach after work, haha. The water in North County was so perfect for that. There is no better way to wait out evening rush hour traffic like laying on the beach and swimming in the ocean.

I saw this on my friends FB page, thought it was pretty funny yet very accurate imo:

Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,330,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I saw this on my friends FB page, thought it was pretty funny yet very accurate imo:
That picture is funny, I shared on my Facebook as well.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,651,056 times
I see it's cooling off , just in time for our arrival on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego